vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5878 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 1 of 3
13 July 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
From Mahatma Gandhi's book Gandhi An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments With Truth:

It is now my opinion that in all Indian curricula of higher education there should be a place for Hindi, Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic and English, besides of course the vernacular. This big list need not frighten anyone. If our education were more systematic, and the boys free from the burden of having to learn their subjects through a foreign medium, I am sure learning all these languages would not be an irksome task, but a perfect pleasure. A scientific knowledge of one language makes a knowledge of other languages comparatively easy.

In reality, Hindi, Gujarati and Sanskrit may be regarded as one language, and Persian and Arabic also as one. Though Persian belongs to the Aryan, and Arabic to the Semitic family of languages, there is a close relationship between Persian and Arabic, because both claim their full growth through the rise of Islam. Urdu I have not regarded as a distinct language, because it has adopted the Hindi grammar and its vocabulary is mainly Persian and Arabic, and he who would learn good Urdu must learn Persian and Arabic, as one who would learn good Gujarati, Hindi, Bengali, or Marathi must learn Sanskrit.
1 person has voted this message useful

DrSarahEaton
Diglot
Canada
eatonintl.com
Joined 5016 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
01 July 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I have written two articles on this very topic which may be of interest to readers:

Leading though Language Learning and Teaching: The Case of Gandhi
Available on ERIC:
Leading Through Language Learning and Teaching: The Case of Gandhi

Gandhi and Language Promotion (Originally published in Zephyr, the newsletter of the Second Languages and Intercultural Council (SLIC) of the Alberta Teachers' Association in 2009). The article may be viewed here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/59145180/Gandhi-and-Language-Promo tion-Zephyr-2009

Edited by DrSarahEaton on 01 July 2011 at 10:30pm

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5617 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
02 July 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Interesting that he didn't mention Tamil.
As beloved as Gandhi was, I don't think many Dravidians hearing what was stated above would have liked it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Hindi_agitations_of_Tamil_ Nadu

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version