gaa1gaa1
China
Joined 5427 days ago

30 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 1 of 9
15 July 2009 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
"Teach Yourself" VS "Colloquial"

In fact, I'm not only interested in which series is considered as a better one between "Teach Yourself languages" and "Colloquial languages", but also longing to know the results of drawing each language a comparison between TYL and CL, I mean that, maybe Colloqial A is a little better than TY, whereas Colloqial B or C is relatively worse than TY B or C, for examples, if I'd like to learn Turkish by myself, and perhaps I wouldn't pay attention to any other learning materials at the beginning, except TYL or CL, then which series should I choose as my coursebook? Besides Turkish, what about Persian, Arabic(Gulf), Russian, or Italian? Thanks a lot!

Edited by gaa1gaa1 on 15 July 2009 at 10:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5824 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 9
15 July 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
I don't like either, but my gut feeling favours TY. I'd started writing reasons, but a flick through a couple of books makes me think I'd imagined them. They are very very similar, and yes, quality varies between languages. My first experience of Colloquial was their Danish book, and I never made it past the first chapter....

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6153 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 3 of 9
15 July 2009 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

Personally, I would always choose TY over COL. In my experience thus far the TY series in general (though not always) is more thorough than the Colloquial series. One exact comparison I can make is for Serbian. The TY course blows the COL course out of the water. I'm sure this isn't an isolated case. If you haven't already you check out Prof. Arguelles Foreign Languages Series Review .

-Robert

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6531 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 9
15 July 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Robert, the same is so for Hungarian. However, I wouldn't recommend either book for very beginners. I started with them and they are too much, too soon. I know that sounds strange, but after the first 3 or 4 units, it jumps and can become quite confusing!

I have actually never FINISHED either of the books [meaning from cover to cover]. I use both of them still - but I use sections of them at a time. For example, if I was looking at the 'indefinite conjugation of verbs', I would look them up in TY, COL, FSI, my grammar book... I'd read them all because some of them (and it changes) provide a better explanation than others.

If you're in a position to, I'd recommend getting both, but depending on your language, perhaps not starting with solely one of those programs.

Edited by Katie on 15 July 2009 at 11:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5722 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 9
16 July 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
I'd start with Assimil for any language (except Arabic, apparently that course is a total washout). Used it for Hungarian and loved it, using it for Italian and loving it, and have heard good things about pretty much every course they've made (...except Arabic). If they have a course for the language I want to learn it wouldn't even cross my mind to look elsewhere before giving Assimil a good go first.

Liz

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 9
16 July 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
If we're considering only languages that are taught by a course in both TY and Colloquial, I'd generally lean more toward TY over Colloquial but there are cases where I prefer the version in Colloquial.

Based on my use/study, here're my picks in TY vs. Colloquial for various languages:

Croatian: TY
Czech: Colloquial
Estonian: TY **
Finnish: TY **
Hungarian: Colloquial (i.e. the older edition by Jerry Payne.)
Lithuanian: TY
Polish: Neither (Colloquial Polish and TY Polish are equally middling)
Romanian: Colloquial (N.B. the 2nd ed. is better than the 3rd ed.)
Serbian: TY **
Slovenian: Neither (Colloquial Slovene and TY Slovene are equally TERRIBLE)
Ukrainian: Neither (Colloquial Ukrainian and TY Ukrainian are equally middling)

** The only languages for which I would recommend the course from Teach Yourself without reservation over the version in Colloquial are Estonian, Finnish and Serbian.

- Colloquial Estonian is a piece of $#!t. Don't even bother borrowing it from the library let alone waste money on it. TY Estonian all the way.

- Colloquial Finnish has several dialogues which are very colloquial. However it uses an idiosyncratic way of presenting grammar and is better suited for students of linguistics. This isn't surprising when we find out that the author is a professor of Uralic linguistics (i.e. linguistics of the language family to which Finnish belongs) rather than someone who specializes in teaching Finnish. This situation is comparable to having an ESL teacher whose specialty is Germanic linguistics rather than teaching ESL. Unlike Colloquial Finnish, TY Finnish doesn't have this pretentious air and its author is much more humble. TY Finnish's author is just interested in teaching Finnish rather than letting the course become an extension of a lecture on esoteric topics in Finnish grammar that interest a graduate student in Uralic linguistics.

- Colloquial Serbian is ruined by the authors not providing complete answer keys and the glossaries don't list all of the new words/expressions that appear in dialogues. It's hard to teach yourself a language when the answer keys and glossaries are incomplete. TY Serbian does provide full answer keys and glossaries and also covers more material than Colloquial Serbian.

Edited by Chung on 16 July 2009 at 8:17am

Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5519 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 7 of 9
18 July 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
For Romanian, I use them both. I like being able to see grammar concepts used in other sentences written by different people and having it explained two different ways and sometimes one will pick up the slack where the other leaves off. I can't think of either one as being much better. They both have their place as a beginner language text. I GUESS I might pick TY because it's easier to find and it comes with lang. CD's.

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6341 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 8 of 9
20 July 2009 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
gaa1gaa1, please, do not buy/use "Teach Yourself Persian", it's the worst book
ever.

Goodbye
Guido.

Edited by Guido on 20 July 2009 at 8:02am

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version