Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5868 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 1 of 11
15 July 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience using and/or can attest to the quality of Le Nouveau Portugais Sans
Peine and/or Le Brésilien Sans Peine.

Thank You,

Vikram
1 person has voted this message useful

jpxt2
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6530 days ago

46 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Catalan, Portuguese, German, Italian

Message 2 of 11
16 July 2009 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
I have Le Brésilien Sans Peine (2nd edition, 1985), and it is quite a good course! Recommended.

vikramkr
Diglot
Joined 5868 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 

Message 3 of 11
16 July 2009 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
jpxt2 wrote:
I have Le Brésilien Sans Peine (2nd edition, 1985), and it is quite a good course! Recommended.

Thanks for the feedback! It looks like I'll be acquiring it then.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6799 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 11
17 July 2009 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I started portuguese with Pimsleur then with le brésilien sans peine: very good , lots of lovely idioms. But one of the female voices is not nice at all.
I then tried and improve my overall Portuguese vocabulary and understanding of Portugal Portuguese with Le Nouveau Portugais sans peine which is also very good.
According to the Brasilians I meet and chat or deal with at work, the courses I used are very good. They can't believe I never went to Brasil and learnt mostly in my car.

Note that a new edition of le brésilien is due to be published next October or September. I'll buy it , I did it for Spanish and Italian , this obviously reinforces my command of the language better than reading books in the target language (that are not designed to teach a language).

Edited by zorglub on 17 July 2009 at 12:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
Joined 5868 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 

Message 5 of 11
17 July 2009 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
zorglub wrote:
I started portuguese with Pimsleur then with le brésilien sans peine: very good , lots of lovely idioms. But one of the female voices is not nice at all.
I then tried and improve my overall Portuguese vocabulary and understanding of Portugal Portuguese with Le Nouveau Portugais sans peine which is also very good.
According to the Brasilians I meet and chat or deal with at work, the courses I used are very good. They can't believe I never went to Brasil and learnt mostly in my car.

Note that a new edition of le brésilien is due to be published next October or September. I'll buy it , I did it for Spanish and Italian , this obviously reinforces my command of the language better than reading books in the target language (that are not designed to teach a language).

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad I now know that this is a quality program. Additionally, if you hadn't posted here, I wouldn't have known about the new edition pending publication. I bought a 2001 edition of Le Brésilien Sans Peine online earlier this afternoon, but was able to cancel it. Now, I wait...

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6945 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 11
17 July 2009 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
I would recommend buying both the old and the new. I have several versions of some languages and they help. A new version doesn't make the old one redundant.

I like having two sets of explanations and one course reinforces what is learnt in the other.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6167 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 11
17 July 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
zorglub, how did you handle learning both Brazilian and Continental Portuguese at the same time, as far as vocabulary, verbs, and accent go? I've read that Continental Portuguese is a lot more nasal than Brazilian, and that Brazilian uses the progressive form whereas Continental doesn't.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6799 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 8 of 11
19 July 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
vikramkr wrote:

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad I now know that this is a quality program. Additionally, if you hadn't posted here, I wouldn't have known about the new edition pending publication. I bought a 2001 edition of Le Brésilien Sans Peine online earlier this afternoon, but was able to cancel it. Now, I wait...

Don't cancel it , get it !
The new one may be better equal or worse.
And I find it useful to use and shadow 2 different sets that reinforce each otehr

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version