Joined 6799 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
19 July 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
zorglub, how did you handle learning both Brazilian and Continental Portuguese at the same time, as far as vocabulary, verbs, and accent go? I've read that Continental Portuguese is a lot more nasal than Brazilian, and that Brazilian uses the progressive form whereas Continental doesn't.

I went first through Pimsleur Brasilian Portuguese, then Assimil le Brésilien sans peine.
Only then did I use Le portugais sans peine, BUT:
While repeating /shadowing, i was sticking to the Brasilian pronunciation as if I were a Brasilian talking to a POrtuguese. ANd whenever I noticed a POrtugal Portuguese form I uttered the Brasilian equivalent.

This , I find, increases vocabulary and fluency. In addition, it primes to the understanding of the more difficult to understand Portugal Portuguese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Calro2
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6539 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, French

Message 10 of 11
19 December 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to revive this old thread to ask if anyone else has used the newest version of
the Assimil bresilien program. I guess I'm in the minority of people who really diskliked
the 1985 version (I think that's the year). I saw an Assimil Spanish version from around
the same time that is very different from the latest Spanish one, and I much prefer the
newest one. It has funnier and more interesting dialogues; the older version felt stilted
and dry. This is the same complaint I had about the Portuguese program. Could anyone who
has the newest Portuguese course give some examples of the opening dialogues, since it
seems impossible to find an online preview? I want to get an idea to see if it's worth
recommending to a friend of mine.

Thanks a lot.
1 person has voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5374 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 11 of 11
06 March 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I have both most recent Brazil Portuguese Assimil's as well as the European Portuguese
Assimil. All three look very good from flipping through them, I'll give a full assessment
latter this year. As for redundancy, different authors, different decades and different
continents...practice makes perfect the I am sure at the end of the day the three will
greatly complement each other. At the very least the 3 represent hours of shadowing and a
ton of idioms.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 06 March 2012 at 3:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version