Minlawc
United States
Joined 6314 days ago

24 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 25 of 42
05 August 2009 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Are we talking about the most difficult Alphabet, or the most difficult Writing System? An Alphabet only refers to a system of writing that has one 'letter' that is supposed to represent one phoneme. Arabic is an Abjad using just consonants, while Chinese is logographic. Japanese uses a Syllabary along with the Chinese characters. I'm not familiar with the rest of the systems so look at Wikipedia.

I would say that the hardest alphabet to use, not necessarily to learn, is the English alphabet.
1 person has voted this message useful

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5390 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 26 of 42
06 August 2009 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Or perhaps your experience with learning signs makes you very fast at learning the new letters?
Someone else recently commented that the Thai alphabet was harder than any other. What is it that makes it hard?

Cordelia, have you heard that, using Chinese characters frequently might prevent the users from suffering from sudden amnesia? Speaking of Thai alphabet, IMHO, it seems like an irregular tadpole or earthworm script that can't be written large (or else it'll become a bit unsightly). No offense to Thai people!

Edited by Z.J.J on 06 August 2009 at 5:35am

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5922 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 27 of 42
06 August 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

Someone else recently commented that the Thai alphabet was harder than any other. What
is it that makes it hard?

What makes Thai so hard is that it has some many "aspects" to take into consideration
to get the correct pronunciation. Scripts like Devanagari and its "Indian" derivatives
just require you to "say what you see". Oriya apart, they are quite clear and distinct
although there are some intricacies with consonants clusters and the short "i" coming
before the consonant.

Arabic script is actually quite easy to get to use, but its frustrating when you come
across a new word and can't be 100% sure how it's pronounced-although this is more of a
problem when reading Urdu and Farsi because their words don't follow regular vowelling
patterns as in the Semitic languages.

Hebrew is tricky because most of the "exotic-to-Europeans" sounds have become
assimilated and/or dropped, but retained in spelling.

Thai is difficult because in addition to learning a letter's sound, you have to know
its "class" (high, mid or low), which combined with vowel length, whether the syllable
is "dead" (ends in a stop or short vowel) or "live" (ends in a long vowel or nasal)
and any tone marks, will tell you the tone of the syllable. cf http://www.thai-
language.com/ref/tonerules -as you can see, due to pronunciation shifts, there's no
real logic to the system. Also, it has the same problem as Hebrew, Farsi and Urdu in
that it maintains the spelling of borrowed words then adapt their pronunciation. For
loans from Pali and Sanskrit, there're about 9-10 consonants which are part of the Thai
alphabet which represent sounds which are distinct in these languages but not in Thai.
For those with a bit of background the consonants 14-19 (dor chadaa to nor nen)
represent the "retroflex" consonants found in most Indian languages; but in Thai are
pronounced identically to the row below. Also the rules for reading the inherent vowel
are complex and it's best just to learn the examples as you come across them. I think
that's about it.

Lao is very similar to Thai but has done away with the last two issues, leaving just unnecessarily complex tone rules.

Khmer is difficult in that the reading of the vowel depends on the "class" of the
consonant; this is easier than the tone rules but still feels unnatural when you're
getting started. Khmer does have an additional difficulty in that in has a lot of
consonant clusters, in marked contrast to Thai and Lao, and to write these each letter
has two forms, normal and subscript, which sometimes have little resemblance to one
another, but this is quite easily learnt through exposure.

Burmese is unusual; like Thai it maintains extra letters to maintain Sanskrit and Pali
spelling. It's spelling system is illogical but very regular. If you just learn the
pronunciations without asking too many questions (why do I need to write a silent "k"
with "a" to make it short tone but a silent "s" with "i"?) then it's very regular.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 28 of 42
06 August 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Fat-tony, thanks for the very interesting summary.
You are amazingly knowledgeable!

I really like the sound of Thai and I know it's a very intricate language for speeking. Sounds like it's got the alpabet to match....

For sure, all of the languages in that region exude sophistication I think -- although they are completely inaccessible to me. Perhaps it's the way that people change how they speak depending on who they speak to. This is noticeable even if you don't know what they are saying. Some of the sounds are very beautiful and unique. I have met very few Westerners who have managed to learn an Indochine language, they must be extraordinarily hard.

will72694
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5486 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 42
07 August 2009 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
As I live near one of the only populations of the Cherokee people, I have heard their language spoken and have
seen it written some. It has a truly immense number of letters or characters and is organized somewhat like
Japanese Kana. I'd say for more wide-spread writing systems, though, Thai and related scripts, along with the
Mongolian script, look the craziest. Chinese seems to be the hardest to learn because one can never truly master it.

I had taught myself Devanagari (during a brief Hindi fascination last year) in about five days, without very intense
study. The Arabic alphabet took about two to three weeks.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4450 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 31 of 42
27 April 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Urdu, Thai and Malayalam.

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3651 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 32 of 42
27 April 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 

So far Hebrew, however I know I'll do just fine.

What really intimidates me is chinese.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version