United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4967 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 33 of 42
27 April 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
The Arabic script intimidates me, which is weird because I'm not intimidated by Japanese
kanji.

As for most difficult, I don't know enough about the less common scripts. It's looking
like Thai is a popular choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4150 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 34 of 42
28 April 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
I read a Wikipedia article about the Malayalam script and that one looked like it would take awhile to be comfortable!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 42
28 April 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
I have not tried to learn any of the Sanskrit inspired alphabets in Asia, but in connection with my travels in Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos I have always tried at least to get an impression of the local languages and the ways they are written. And my impression is that their alphabets may have many signs, but they are generally logically built on combinatorical elements, and that should make it feasible to learn them without much ado. The problem for me is whether you can guess the pronunciation of a written text, and so far I have never needed to find the answer to this question because I haven't tried to learn to speak those languages. I visited South Korea many years ago and bought a quick guide to their alphabet, and it was exceedingly easy to learn - but I have been told that it is very hard to learn how to pronounce the language for reasons that have little to do with the alphabet.   

Edited by Iversen on 28 April 2014 at 11:07am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 36 of 42
28 April 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
The pronunciation of Korean isn't that hard - but it contains three-way variants of the
general k,t,p consonants. Furthermore it assimilates sounds, but that happens in every
language.

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5741 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 37 of 42
28 April 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The pronunciation of Korean isn't that hard - but it contains three-way variants of the
general k,t,p consonants. Furthermore it assimilates sounds, but that happens in every
language.

You're considerably understating the difficulty of it. And then there's those sounds in Korean that seemingly shape shift at certain spots in certain words. For example the first sound in 몰라요 sometimes sounds like an "m", sometimes like a "b", and sometimes somewhere in between. All those horror stories about Korean exist for a reason, as I'm sure you'll discover if you probe deeper into the language.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 38 of 42
29 April 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
That actually makes sense from a phonological
point of view to do so. It isn't easy to
pronounce, but it makes perfect sense.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 42
29 April 2014 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
That's exactly my point: I don't know the details, but on the basis of the things I have read or been told it seems to me that the alphabets in Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos have something of the same combinatorical character as Hangul, but I have not read much about the phonology of these languages. I just know that some say that there are several ways to write a number of sound in Thai when you use its own alphabet, and that's a bad omen (btw. the same thing applies to for instance Modern Greek, where the /i/ sound can be spelled in at least five different ways).

In contrast, the Korean alphabet (which consists of 'letters' which actually correspond to syllables, but constructed from standardized elements) is so easy that you can learn it in an hour or so, but the underlying phonology seems to add a number of complications which aren't reflected in the writing. In Korean I have so far had the impression that the correspondence was a given thing, but that the differences between sounds which form distinctive pairs were very difficult to hear (and mimic) for non-natives - and that would of course be a totally different problem than a lack of correspondence between sounds and letters (which English as on of the worst sinners).

However if it now turns out that even the correspondence between sounds and letters IN KOREAN is shaky because of things like an unwritten alternance between m and b then things begin to look somewhat murky.

As for the languages written with alphabets (or semi-abadhs) where vowels routinely are ignored this adds to the difficulty of learning those languages: you actually have to learn the language first (using your ear and pedagogical texts with all vowels) ... and then apply this knowledge of the language to normal writing. But actually this isn't too far from the situation in for instance Russian, where the sound of a written 'o' is totally dependent on the stress - which isn't indicated in normal texts. Or Romanian, where the special Romanian letters with diacritical markings routinely are replaced with other letters without these markings.

Edited by Iversen on 29 April 2014 at 10:03am

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6440 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 40 of 42
29 April 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Am I a party pooper if I suggest scripts that are no longer in use? The hardest ever must be the Tangut script. It's if
someone said "Hey, let's do like the chinese, except rid ourself of any logic innate in the script".
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tangut.htm How anyone ever managed to memorize those, albeit beautiful,
hideously overcomplicated signs is above my understanding.

Cuneiform is also a script that make a brain hurt. The earlier sumerian form, though containing more glyphs, at
least makes sure they all have different shapes. But as time progresses we eventually end up with the Neo-Assyrian
Cuneiform script: several signs have merged, a lot of new phonetic values were invented, and the educated elite
took prestige in using obscure sumerian logograms whenever they could. Numerals had different forms depending
on what was being counted, and also doubled as logograms for other things and phonograms. One of the simpler
signs, just a simple horizontal wedge, had the readings: ash, rum; logographic meanings: 1, ANA, SHUMMA – and on
top of that very often seem to merge with the next character thus being pretty hard to make out...

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version