Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 42
29 April 2014 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
Cuneiform is also a script that make a brain hurt. The earlier sumerian form, though containing more glyphs, at
least makes sure they all have different shapes. But as time progresses we eventually end up with the Neo-Assyrian
Cuneiform script: several signs have merged, a lot of new phonetic values were invented, and the educated elite
took prestige in using obscure sumerian logograms whenever they could.

Regular Egyptian hieroglyphs—the ones you see on temples and such—are quite lovely to work with. There are roughly 200 common signs, divided between phonetic signs and determinatives, which are basically written semantic classifiers that allow the reader to fill in the missing vowels (or would have, back when people still knew the vowels). Once you learn a bunch of basic signs, it's surprisingly pleasant.

There's a related form of the script which appears in certain religious texts like the Book of Going Forth by Day. This is slightly simplified for hand-writing, but it's still quite legible.

But once you get into ordinary texts, you start seeing hieratic, which gets a lot harder. It's basically an exercise in palaeography: There are books (mostly in German) which catalog dozens of variants of each cursive sign from different manuscripts and time periods. And demotic is also pretty intimidating.

Granted, these probably get easier once you know the language really well, and you can decipher various squiggles from context. I used to struggle with bad French handwriting, too, but it got easier once I had done a lot of reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6440 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 42 of 42
29 April 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Haha, there actually exist cursive cuneiform, a more relaxed and less detailed style used in less formal writing. I've
seen old babylonian cursive and it was a mess because, worse then the formal furies simplification mergers, a lot of
very frequent syllabic signs looked almost exactly the same, e.g. ma, ba and ku. But I presume that cursive hands are
hard to read no matter what language they are written in.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version