Lithuanian dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
Takon
Bilingual Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5388 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, Taiwanese*
Studies: French, English, German, Russian, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Lithuanian

Message 1 of 7
02 August 2009 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
I'm currently searching for a lithuanian - English (or two direction) dictioanry, but so far as i know, there're only some aiming for the native lithuanians to learn English, and so no accent marks of lithuanian words are provided (on the contrary, there are for the English words)
I have a lith - french & french- lith small dictionary, and I don't know why there're always some very basic words missing. now i need one with more word entries and accent marks (and better to be a rather new publish), any idea?
1 person has voted this message useful

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
02 August 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I was shocked--flabbergasted, in fact--to find a Lithuanian-English dictionary at a recent Friends of the Library booksale here in Honolulu, of all places. I think it's not what you want, since it seems to have been printed in Chicago, USA, for Lithuanian immigrants (all the introductory material and appendices are in Lithuanian, presumably for Lithuanians). However, it looks like a pretty good piece of work, about 500 pp., hardbound and pretty well printed, so I grabbed it in case I ever want to study Lithuanian. It's called Lietuviu-Anglu Kalbu Zodynas (with a hatchek over the Z), 1963, Isleido Vaiva. (When I bought it, I wasn't even sure what language it was for, figuring either Latvian or Lithuanian.) You might be able to find one used on the Internet somewhere. Good luck!

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5387 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 7
03 August 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I possess three Lithuanian dictionaries:

1. Lithuanian Dictionary English -Lithuanian / Lithuanian English, written by Bronius Piesarkas, 800 pages, published by Routeledge in 1994.
There are no indications of declination or accents, because it it aimed at Lithuanian lerners of English.

2. Vokiečių-lietuvių kalbų Žodynas, written by D. Šlapoberskis in 1963, 1039 pages, which is German-Lithuanian. Very good, but it does not give accents or declination for the Lithuanian words.

3. Vokiečių-lietuvių lietuvių-vokiečių kalbų Žodynas, written by J.A. Križinauskas, published in Vilius 2000, which is a German-Lithuanian and Lithuanian-German dictionary. For every entry the accent is given, but you don’t get the declension or the moving accent there, nor the verbs princial parts. It is smaller, 480 pages, but is the only one, where you can ascertain, which of the three accents you have to use in the ground form.

So there is no satifying solution, you don’t get the past tense, you don’t get declensions.

As Piesarkas wrote: “This is a drawback, but perhaps not too serious a one. Anyone learning Lithuanian will have access to that information, for a managable number of words, in their textbook or its glossaries and they will in any event probably acquire what they really need by going ahead and speaking the language”.

I am not convinced and not too happy with this. Maybe there is a Russian œuvre, that someone can recommend.

Ingeborg.

Edited by Cabaire on 03 August 2009 at 4:18pm

Takon
Bilingual Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5388 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, Taiwanese*
Studies: French, English, German, Russian, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Lithuanian

Message 4 of 7
06 August 2009 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
thanks pohaku and Ingeborg.
i've asked balticshop.com the same question, and they recommend this one to me:
http://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=11973&cat=03 10&title=Lithuanian_Language_Materials

it was published in 2006 and the accents are marked (the lady who replied my mail claimed so), and this verb conjugation book is also with accent marks:
http://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=12589

i've ordered both of them, and it'll take around a whole month for the delivery. i'll keep you guys informed when i receive them

good luck to all buddies who are having hard times learning lithuanian, like i am.

Jurga
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5225 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 5 of 7
05 January 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
A good ones are 'Anglonas' and 'Alkonas', these are software (both LT-ENG and ENG-LT). I use Alkonas and well... I'd be glad having something better sometimes, but it's pretty good.

Kuunhalme
Pentaglot
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5955 days ago

25 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Hungarian, Latvian
Studies: Polish, Spanish, Dutch, Georgian, Lithuanian

Message 6 of 7
09 January 2010 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
While it would be better to have everything in one place, you might also consider checking the accent marks from the free online Lithuanian dictionary Lietuvių kalbos žodynas. For verbs, it gives three forms and accent marks for all of them (and, of course, a lot of examples of their use)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5893 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 7 of 7
21 October 2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Came across some free online dictionaries here (copy/paste):

http://www.dicts.info/2/english-lith uanian.php

http://www.lexilogos.com/english/lit huanian_dictionary.htm

http://www.anglu-lietuviu.com/

If anyone knows of a printed English-Lithuanian / Lithuanian-English dictionary
with examples of word use and phrases, please do let me know.
Also of interest would be a recommended Polish-Lithuanian dictionary.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version