20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Kugel
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 20
05 August 2009 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
I have worked with Assimil and Linguaphone before for German and Hebrew with various results. The lack of structure, no due dates, no will to study in order to pass the quiz the following day, and other lackadaisical reasons, no doubt, held me back from achieving my desired goals. The lack of an accomplished polyglot to whom I could ask questions regarding grammar certainly didn't help either.

Well, why not now try it again in other languages, but this time to do it right? One could say, go right ahead and embark on another 6 month study of Assimil in any given language; there is no need to have someone hold your hand in the process. There may be some truth to this, and I really don't know. But what do you all think of a syllabus for language learning with Assimil or Linguaphone as the main text; and in addition, a grammar manual either online or in an affordable paperback? What if Professor Arguelles had testing dates, homework assignments, quizzes, forums specifically for course related questions, text errors/correctios(just about every textbook has them), and additional resources that are tailored to the texts in this online/distance class?

This could also be an empirical study on just how effective autodidactism is when compared to partaking in an online regimental study plan with outside help from other people. Maybe there is no noticeable benefit as a whole? One could theoretically have the autodidacts take the same tests at the end of a the six month period to see who came out better, but this would be hard to do.

At any rate, I would be very interested in doing a 6 month study of any given language under a well planed syllabus that used Assimil and Linguaphone as the main text, or any highly regarded text for that matter. I'm thinking about Assimil and Linguaphone because they seem to the programs everyone here uses.

Professor Arguelles, would this fall under your language coach program you have? Is this program I described feasible? I'd much rather pay tuition to what I described above than give it away to the university I'm attending for electives that I don't even need.

Another plus would be putting to rest any skepticism one might have on achieving good results in language learning in a short period of 6 months, which I think is what Assimil and Linguaphone are designed around. Too often on this board is talk about language learning without actually engaging in the enterprise of language learning.

I looked at the stages of your proposed Polyglot Academy, and I think that a successful 6 month study of Assimil/Linguaphone under an academically rigorous syllabus, even if it's done over the web, skips stages 1 and 2 altogether. I think there are enough willing students/language hobbyists for this kind of program. And if a large number of them succeed, it would greatly benefit the language learning community as not being thought as a group of self-deluding dilettantes, but rather serious language learners.        

Anyone else interested in such a program?

Barts        

Edited by Kugel on 13 August 2009 at 7:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5811 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 20
12 August 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I would love to get some coaching from the Professor but I simply don't have the money. I might do a few languages with shadowing and at a later point in time, when the funds are available, get a few lessons in studying those sorts of courses more deeply, in particular Linguaphone.

Yehoshua Cohen.
1 person has voted this message useful

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6046 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 3 of 20
12 August 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
I would love to get some coaching from the Professor but I simply don't have the money. I might do a few languages with shadowing and at a later point in time, when the funds are available, get a few lessons in studying those sorts of courses more deeply, in particular Linguaphone.

Yehoshua Cohen.

I understand that Prof Arguelles now charges a cool 100 bucks an hour for consultation. Since the introduction of that service, he seems to have ignored all questions posted on this forum.

I guess he can't really be blamed for charging a fee. Let's face it, only the fewest people offer anything worth having for free. It's just a shame that many people (kids, students, etc) simply can't afford to pay him.

Also, IMHO it would have been nice to post one last message, making it clear that he is no longer responding to this forum.

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5811 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 4 of 20
12 August 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I agree. Certainly his time is worth the money but it's just not in my budget for a long time to come.

If I was as proficient in as many languages as he is, and I had some recognizable techniques that I could share with people, I'd probably start a similar thing. We all have to eat after all.

He has certainly done us all a great service, regardless of whether he comes back or not.

Thanks Prof!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 5 of 20
12 August 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
So this is the end?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 20
12 August 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I'm working with the World Esperanto Youth organization to possibly get European Union grants for a very intensive 2-week program guided by Professor Arguelles. If the EU agrees, this means that costs for the participants will be quite bearable, an amazing opportunity to study language learning. For non-EU citizens it will still be difficult though, especially if you're not a member of a big NGO that would send you.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6319 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 7 of 20
12 August 2009 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like a great idea, even more so if it was done in a large city like Paris or Berlin where one could go to study a language in addition to Esperanto.   

Jackal11
Groupie
United States
Joined 5443 days ago

41 posts - 45 votes
Studies: German, Latin

Message 8 of 20
13 August 2009 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
I agree. Certainly his time is worth the money but it's just not in my budget for a long time to come.

If I was as proficient in as many languages as he is, and I had some recognizable techniques that I could share with people, I'd probably start a similar thing. We all have to eat after all.

He has certainly done us all a great service, regardless of whether he comes back or not.

Thanks Prof!

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I find it incredibly rude that Professor Arguelles would abandon a room in this forum set up just for him so that he could start charging a hundred dollars just for the same service, without even giving a goodbye post to explain his actions and prevent people from wasting their time coming here to speak with him. As for all the supposed help he's been, I have exerted considerable eagerness asking him questions here and waiting for his responses, only to be ignored like many others. Praise him all you want, but I refuse to buy into this cult status that has sprung up around him. I'm sorry if this post sounds angry, but being snubbed really puts me in a foul mood.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version