J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5817 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 17 of 20
14 August 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Perhaps the Esperanto movement creates tourism throughout the EU...from all I've heard it certainly does. So I guess that it's not a completely frivolous thing to support. I'm sure that you would be happy if the EU decided to host a German learner's conference in your city? I'm sure anybody would enjoy that. And there would be benefits culturally, educationally and economically.

But perhaps this forum is too prone to digressing from forum topics :p
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5308 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 18 of 20
29 October 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
Perhaps the Esperanto movement creates tourism throughout the EU...from all I've heard it certainly does. So I guess that it's not a completely frivolous thing to support.

Well, I don't think it is very reasonable for a supra-governmental body (or rather, dictatorship) to give any of our money to projects because they might indirectly lead to minute amounts of tourism by esperantist youths. It's not like they are likely to be all that spendy either, and in any case this is not what the EU was set up to do. But who is surprised that yet another gigantic publicly funded project with minimum transparency and accountability started gobbling up taxes like a hungry wolf? I'm not.

J-Learner wrote:
I'm sure that you would be happy if the EU decided to host a German learner's conference in your city? I'm sure anybody would enjoy that. And there would be benefits culturally, educationally and economically.

I am sure I wouldn't. If the EU decided to take tax money to fund a conference on learning Swedish in Stockholm, I would say "Go ahead, as long as it's not on my dime". I think you forget that crucial point, that every penny they spend is money that you could have kept. If you like language conferences, I think you should sponsor them with your own money, not mine...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version