United States
Joined 6803 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 9 of 17
03 December 2005 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
ferdi wrote:
however when i see Scandinavian soccer players come to The Netherlands they always speak perfect Dutch in less then a year, so i guess English is easier but Dutch is not far behind .

p.s. as you can see in the Collaborative writing there are a Swedish and a Dutch profile it just isn't lounched yet with the other profiles on the site i don't know why.

That is very interesting. Someone once said that if English had not had the French influence a thousand years ago that Dutch and English would be mutually intelligible today.

I did see that Swedish and Dutch profiles are under construction. I look forward to the day they are launched. Its too bad that these fascinating languages are often overlooked by English speakers shopping for another language. I think part of it is that we feel a bit embarassed that Dutch and Swedish people speak English as good (if not better) than we do! Most of these folks sound completely native. Sometimes the only tip-off is an unusual sentence construction or word choice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6886 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 10 of 17
03 December 2005 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
Its too bad that these fascinating languages are often overlooked by English speakers shopping for another language.

I've noticed that quite a bit. It seems the fact that not too many (at least not that I'm aware of) people speak Dutch and Scandinavian languages outside of their respective country. Also, with the English speakers in the States, being close to Canada and Mexico with French and Spanish spoken, that likely contributes to them being overlooked somewhat as well.

Susanka
Finland
Joined 6707 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 11 of 17
09 December 2005 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
I am fluent in Swedish, and I used to do a bit of Dutch, which I found very easy.. it's also a very interesting language I must say :)

orion
United States
Joined 6803 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 17
09 December 2005 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Do you see very many Swedish people in Finland that speak Finnish? What about Russians? Everything I have read says Finnish is quite difficult.

Eddard
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6536 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC1, German, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian

Message 13 of 17
19 June 2006 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm Dutch and I have taught myself Swedish. I had a five years-experience with German at school, but this wasn't really an advantage, while learning Swedish. Some words in Swedish look like some German words, but the difference is just too big; the vocabulary is quite different and the German grammar is far more complicated (cases, many rules and just as many exceptions), than Swedish grammar, which is quite easy for speakers of any other Germanic language.

It's not posible for a Dutch person to understand any written or spoken Swedish, without having a basic knowledge of the vocabulary. However, knowing the basis will make you able to guess many Swedish words that you haven't seen before in the coursebook.

Pibende
Diglot
United States
Joined 6507 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Dutch

Message 14 of 17
27 June 2006 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
A few Dutch words are more similar to their Danish (and presumably Nordic - I haven't studied the other two) counterparts than to the equivalent German:

English:
always, entire, shall (3rd person singular)

Dutch:
altijd, hele, zal

German:
immer, ganz, wird

Danish:
altid, hele, skal

Eddard
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6536 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC1, German, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian

Message 15 of 17
28 June 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
But on the other hand:

English       important
Dutch        belangrijk
German        wichtig
Swedish       viktig

English       glad
Dutch        blij
German        froh
Swedish       glad

English       disappear
Dutch        verdwijnen
German        verschwinden
Swedish       försvinna

English tends to use Latin vocabulary far more often than the other Germanic languages.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 16 of 17
28 June 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Does Dutch have regular, predictable stress, or does its location need to be memorized along with the word like in English?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version