Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Are there any pairs of Slavic languages..

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 23
02 December 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I've always found "Silesian" to be even closer overall to standard Polish than Kashubian.
1 person has voted this message useful

H.Computatralis
Triglot
Poland
Joined 6085 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Latin

Message 18 of 23
02 December 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I know that it's a contentious issue, but "Silesian" is generally considered a dialect of Polish - or at least its language status is disputed by many linguists (opinions are divided), whereas no serious linguist disputes the status of Kashubian as a separate language.

Edited by H.Computatralis on 02 December 2011 at 11:40pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 19 of 23
03 December 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I tend to agree but if we were to give the benefit of the doubt to the Silesian nationalists (!) then "Silesian" is a "language" and in turn Polish and Silesian would be a closer pair than Polish and Kashubian. Otherwise I go along with the idea that the next nearest language to Polish is Kashubian (or perhaps Slovincian).

mjhowie1992
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4961 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 20 of 23
03 December 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
H.Computatralis wrote:
I disagree with the Polish-Czech pair. I can't normally understand spoken Czech.

Well, I am just going by what my friend tells me. He and his family are from Southern Poland, and speak Polish at
home. He tells me that he has been able to understand Czech being spoken to him. Also, one of their most favourite
movies to watch is Tři oříšky pro Popelku, a Czech movie very similar to Cinderella. They are able to understand
virtually everything without much difficulty, which goes to suggest there is quite a good degree of mutual
intelligibility between Czech and Polish, but it may depend on where one comes from.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 21 of 23
03 December 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
For sure this has something to do with being from Cieszyn. The speech there is transitional between Czech and Polish.

If all that people are familiar with is only one of Standard Czech or Standard Polish, then the mutual intelligibility is fairly low. In other words, H.Computatralis' assertion holds for the majority of Czechs and Poles. I estimate the magnitude of difference between Czech and Polish to be comparable to that between Spanish and Portuguese.

Here's a thread on WordReference that talks about Czech, Polish and Slovak and also juxtaposes a dryly humorous text in the three languages about shopping in Poland from the Czech and Slovak point of view.

lior neith (WordReference) wrote:
For comparison, the same text in Polish, Czech and Slovak:

Polish

Zakupy

Gdy coś jest nam niezbędne albo gdy czegoś pragniemy i mamy pieniądze, to robimy zakupy. Na zakupy można pojechać samochodem albo autobusem czy też pociągiem, w przypadku gdy do sklepu mamy tylko kawałek drogi. Zakupy robimy w sklepie albo w centrum handlowym, bo tam jest więcej sklepów w jednym miejscu. Pieniądze to zwykle monety i banknoty. Jeżeli nie mamy pieniędzy, możemy spytać przyjaciela czy nam pożyczy. Jeżeli mamy więcej niż osiemnaście lat, to możemy sobie kupić polską wódkę i papierosy. Nie możemy sobie kupić marihuany, bo handel narkotykami jest w Polsce nielegalny.

Czech

Nakupování

Pokud něco potřebujeme nebo po něčem toužíme a máme peníze, jdeme nakupovat. Na nákupy se dá jet autem, nebo autobusem, či vlakem, v případě že to máme daleko. Nakupujeme v obchodě, nebo v obchodním středisku, protože tam je více obchodů na jednom místě. Peníze jsou obvykle mince a bankovky. Když nemáme peníze, můžeme se zeptat kamaráda, jestli nám půjčí. Pokud máme více než osmnáct let, můžeme si koupit polskou vodku a cigarety. Ale nemůžeme si koupit marihuanu, protože obchod s drogami je v Polsku nelegální.

Slovak

Nakupovanie

Pokiaľ niečo potrebujeme alebo po niečom túžime a máme peniaze, ideme nakupovať. Na nákupy sa dá ísť autom, alebo autobusom, či vlakom, v prípade že to máme ďaleko. Nakupujeme v obchode, alebo v obchodnom stredisku, pretože tam je viac obchodov na jednom mieste. Peniaze sú obvykle mince a bankovky. Keď nemáme peniaze, môžeme sa spýtať kamaráta, či nám požičia. Pokiaľ máme viac než osemnásť rokov, môžeme si kúpiť poľskú vodku a cigarety. Ale nemôžeme si kúpiť marihuanu, pretože obchod s drogami je v Poľsku nelegálny.

3 persons have voted this message useful

floydak
Tetraglot
Groupie
Slovakia
Joined 4635 days ago

60 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 22 of 23
03 December 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
I saw some theories on this forum, that Czechs and Slovaks do understand eachother so
well, more becouse of the common history, exposure rather than becouse of linguistic
issues itself.

I think, one might see from above example, that this probably simply can't be that case.
Even someone with completely no knowledge about these languages should admit, that 2nd
and 3rd texts are much closer related than any other combination.

If then I should pick up which language is closer to Polish from Slovak and Czech, I
wouldn't be able to do so. Howerver, some Polish friends of mine told me they were better
able to understand to Slovak.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 23 of 23
04 December 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
floydak wrote:
I saw some theories on this forum, that Czechs and Slovaks do understand eachother so well, more becouse of the common history, exposure rather than becouse of linguistic issues itself.

I think, one might see from above example, that this probably simply can't be that case. Even someone with completely no knowledge about these languages should admit, that 2nd and 3rd texts are much closer related than any other combination.

In this instance, however one could manipulate the Czech and Slovak samples to make them seem more divergent. however the texts as they are seem "natural" enough to me and so I wouldn't suspect that the writers were trying to minimize or maxmize the divergence between them. If one wanted to be a "splitting" nationalist and make the texts appear less similar, one could as examples begin the Czech text with Jestli... but the Slovak one with Ak... or use v obchnodním centru in Czech but keep v obchodnom stredisku in Slovak or use the clearly Slovak lebo instead of pretože which is obviously linked to Czech's protože. However there's only so far one could manipulate the texts' lexicon since the inflectional endings in Czech and Slovak do diverge regularly anyway in a fashion that leads to the consensus that we're dealing with closely-related but distinct languages as opposed to pluricentric variants such as BCMS/Serbo-Croatian or national standards of German where the unique differences are concentrated in lexicon rather than morphology. Fooling around with the latter would set off wide-ranging changes in how the native speakers make grammatical distinctions.

I think that Czechs and Slovaks living so closely helped with passive understanding of each other's tongue and led to the acceptance of originally Czech terms as acceptable Slovak ones after these were modified to fit Slovak phonology or morphology (e.g. the aforementioned pretože under influence from Czech protože, diaľnica from Czech dálnice for "proper" Slovak autostráda - a kind of "Slovakized" Czech word). However I do agree that on their own, Czech and Slovak are fairly close already because of the similarity in the "building blocks" (they would probably be even closer if Bernolák's standardization had not been discarded in favour of Štúr's). As a foreigner I agree that Czech and Slovak are separate languages, but only barely (more or less to the same degree as I've found Bulgarian and Macedonian, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, or even Afrikaans and Dutch).

floydak wrote:
If then I should pick up which language is closer to Polish from Slovak and Czech, I wouldn't be able to do so. Howerver, some Polish friends of mine told me they were better able to understand to Slovak.

I also agree with your Polish friends as I have found that there's something about Slovak that makes it more comprehensible to Poles at first blush than Czech (regardless of Czech using ř like Polish rz and the similarity in using verbs of motion). Perhaps the česká přehláska and frequent use of obecná čeština make Czech seem stranger to Poles than Slovak.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version