Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 102 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 809 of 844
27 November 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Good news for my personal life: I got a job offer to start working at EY (Ernst & Young)
starting either next summer or fall. Bad thing: I need to start studying for the CPA exam
asap. That means my language studying will suffer a lot.

As that means I no longer will ever have time to intensively study languages ever again
(until I retire lol), I need to devise a way to keep learning languages extensively over
a much longer period of time. I'll most likely have to use Anki so that I don't forget
everything because I won't have the time to intensively learn.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 810 of 844
27 November 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Congrats on your job offer!

If I were you, I'd go for reading to maintain vocabulary as soon as possible. Anki is great, but once again I'm
noticing that learning words with Anki doesn't mean knowing them in spoken and written sentences...

I've been thinking about what you wrote about having a job and productivity. Working really doesn't leave a lot of
time, but apart from some much-needed relaxation I really feel like I'm using the available time to the fullest, which
I guess makes me more productive overall. Only that a lot of that productivity goes into work...

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 811 of 844
28 November 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
My issue with reading is that I need a lot of time to read for it to work effectively as
a means of improving my vocabulary. At best, I'll probably have time to read an article
in Korean and Japanese and call it a day. I would most likely forget almost all of the
words I learned because I most likely wouldn't see them in context for a long time.

I am mainly going to use Anki to ramp up my grammar knowledge by using MCDs to help me
with being able to use the languages actively. My current plan for the next few years is
to put all of the sentences from my grammar books into Anki while also finding other ways
to improve my active usage of the languages.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 812 of 844
07 December 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Actually druckfehler, I think you may be right. Anki works more for a really
structured studying regimen, and even then, it works better for beginners. Given my
situation, it would probably be much easier going for massive input and output than
trying to really nail down certain vocabulary and grammar. It will be much easier to
just look up a lot of words, copy down the Chinese characters a lot (plus plenty of
extensive reading will help me remember how to read the characters), and then I'll
just need a decent way to work on output. I'll probably just go back to what I was
doing in the summer: practicing sentences in my head, writing on Twitter and my
language blog, and may either do a mix between copying sentences down on paper and
reciting them.

Going over the numbers, I was thinking "Would learning 1,000 words a year in Anki be
worth it or should I just read and read and read some more and see thousands upon
thousands of words in context instead?" Then apply this to several languages, as I
want to continue with Korean, Japanese and Mandarin until I get to a comfortable
level.

It was about a week ago I was reading a post on facebook from Kirsten Ren (a Taiwanese
actress) and was surprised that I could read the whole tweet without using a pop-up
dictionary. It had been months since I looked at any Chinese characters. I barely used
flashcards/Anki in studying the characters, so I think more exposure and copying down
characters will help me a lot.

I won't be getting in any language learning until December 19 when my finals are over.
The first thing I'll be doing is marathoning the episodes of Birth of a Beauty that
I'm behind on.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 813 of 844
07 December 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Going over the numbers, I was thinking "Would learning 1,000 words a
year in Anki be worth it or should I just read and read and read some more and see thousands
upon thousands of words in context instead?"

I remember hearing prof. Krashen quoting a study, estimating one needs to read around one
million words, to learn a thousand. I'm not sure if the study mentioned the level of the learner or
content.
1kk words/365,25 days gives ~2738 words a day. Allegedly average native English speaker's
reading speed is around 150-250 WPM. That means roughly 14 minutes of reading a day. Not
sure what's the average other languages' native speakers' reading speed though. Also, not sure
what's your level, but getting to that kind of reading speed requires practice.
For example, last time I checked my reading speed in Chinese, it was closer to 50 WPM.
Which means getting through those ~2738 words daily, would take closer to 55 minutes at first.
On the other hand, to "learn" 1k words a year, you'd need to learn 2,74 words a day on
average. Which in Anki, can take as little as 4 minutes (including reviews).

TL;DR Perhaps consider doing both? They'll make each other more effective.
3 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 814 of 844
08 December 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Belated congrats on the job offer!

Related to a possible method, I guess what Ezy Rider porposed would be the best. A
mixture of both will make them more effective.
But if you're really lackig time, I think the best would be putting reading first and
doing a bit of Anki to complement. Not adding too many words too often.

Then whenever you get some extra-time, do some different activity to keep it interesting
;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 815 of 844
08 December 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Yes, in my experience, supplementing reading with Anki seems to work best (or in the beginner stages
supplementing Anki with reading). Recently I've been doing both again and while words I study through
Anki and then see in context stick very well, a lot of the words I mainly saw through Anki reviews just fade
away after a while. It depends whether you use word or sentence cards, of course, but the cintext provided
through reading is truly invaluable and Anki can hardly make up for it. I find that it helps greatly with
vocabacqusition to read books from a similar subject area - that way you meet many of those new words
again and again until you know them well enough not to forget them even if you no longer frequently see
them. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your experiences wuth studying while working full-time. It's exciting
that yuhakko, you and I seem to be making that transition at about the same time.
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 816 of 844
11 December 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
The thing with Anki is that it will feel like I'm doing a lot of formal studying. I
typically only get short-term benefits from Anki. Once the reviews start going out to
several months, I usually forget the vocabulary. I may use it for languages in which I'm
still at a beginner level, but after that, it loses its effectiveness for me.

Plus, reading a lot and looking up the words seems to be a much better options for me, as
I'll still have to study my whole working career anyway.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version