Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 137 of 844
13 May 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I was doing that with Invincible Youth for a couple of months, watching the RAW and then the subbed version by Soshified, but in the end, and it may be just me, but I focus more on the subtitles and hear the words I already know, so it's no help to me. Yeah, I don't understand a lot of the dialogue in the show, but I have a good idea on what is happening. And....I have too many shows I want to watch to watch each episode twice.

In the end, it's your decision. Either accepting that you don't understand it and just watch the show, getting what you can out of it and understanding the bare bones version of the story, and if you really want to know what happens, go to a site like dramabeans and read the recaps. 5-10 minutes over watching a 65 minute show. Also on Soompi, they have discussions on every episode (dramabeans doesn't recap every single drama.)

I watched 300-400 hours worth of Koreans shows(dramas, interviews, variety shows) last year, all of it but SNSD's Hello Baby was subbed. I really didn't learn much. I've learned more watching RAW videos than subbed.

It's even worse in Japanese, since I only know the very basics at the moment (focusing on kanji at the moment,) but I do pick up words here and there, and at a more frequent pace than I did watching subtitled anime for five years.

But yeah, I may hear a new word or two an episode, but that's better than a word or two per every few series watching it subbed. At my level, I still learn more from reading than listening.

--

I did know that about SNSD. I do know a lot, but compared to other SNSD fans, I'm far from being an SNSD otaku. lol

--

Now I'm sad. Yuri, Sunny, and Hyuna are leaving the show. But that raises a question for me: Why are those three leaving when Hara and Hyomin are staying? That's what I don't understand.

Edited by The Real CZ on 14 May 2010 at 2:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 138 of 844
16 May 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I've fallen so far behind on my SRS reviews and they're piling up. My dad on the computer all day + work after = hardly any computer time, and yesterday, I didn't have much time to make much of a dent, so I'm hoping to get off work earlier tonight. Last night...I had 200 reviews waiting in my Korean deck and 300 in my kanji deck. Speaking of kanji, I'm learning those at a rate of 100 or so a day so I can hurry up and get it over with. I haven't put any new ones in the SRS, just reviewing those on my own until I get the reviews on the SRS down to where I don't need to review hundreds a day.

In preparation for finishing RTK1, I'm getting my resources together (the three dictionaries of Japanese grammar, Tae Kim's grammar guide, smart.fm's core 2000) as well as downloading some manga.

If I ever feel like it, I'll learn the hanja that are different from the kanji and the readings, but that seems trivial at this point. I think studying hanja would be better used at...studying new vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 139 of 844
17 May 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
{...}
And....I have too many shows I want to watch to watch each episode twice.

In the end, it's your decision. Either accepting that you don't understand it and just watch the show, getting what you can out of it and understanding the bare bones version of the story

Very good point.

Quote:
and if you really want to know what happens, go to a site like dramabeans and read the recaps. 5-10 minutes over watching a 65 minute show. Also on Soompi, they have discussions on every episode (dramabeans doesn't recap every single drama.)

Hmmm...I didn't know that option existed. Thanks. :)

Quote:

Now I'm sad. Yuri, Sunny, and Hyuna are leaving the show. But that raises a question for me: Why are those three leaving when Hara and Hyomin are staying? That's what I don't understand.

That does suck! :( Perhaps there is some scheduling issue that affects those two groups, but not the others.

Speaking of IY and Hara, after recently watching episodes 1-3 of IY, I couldn't resist adding "엉덩이 춤을 좋아해요?"* to my SRS (even though there is absolutely nothing in that sentence that I didn't already know). Just seeing that sentence makes me laugh now.

* Correction: The actual sentence was: "엉덩이 춤 좋아하시죠?" It's the same basic idea, though, just with an honorific and a "confirmation" verb ending.

Edited by Warp3 on 18 May 2010 at 5:08pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 140 of 844
18 May 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I also have really easy sentences in my SRS too. They're refreshing once in a while. I have some sentences in my SRS where there is up to 10 vocab words.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 141 of 844
25 May 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Still behind on SRS reviews since my dad is still on vacation (only for two more days now) and my computer time is limited, so I use it to watch stuff instead of SRS. On RTK, I was doing 100 a day until a few days ago when I started playing video games again (less time on the computer, so I needed to do something.) I'm at 1550 or so and should be done within a handful of days. I only have 900 or so in the SRS since I didn't want to review 100 new kanji a day plus all of the old ones.

f(x)'s Victoria is supposedly joining Invincible Youth, so that makes me happy (I think she's the hottest girl group member at the moment...)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 142 of 844
25 May 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
f(x)'s Victoria is supposedly joining Invincible Youth, so that makes me happy (I think she's the hottest girl group member at the moment...)

Hmmm...interesting.

Speaking of Invincible Youth, I have recently noticed an extra language perk it has. They always seem to throw in a question about the associated Hanja character whenever they have one of the "contests for ownership" of one of the animals. Because of this, I've learned the Hanja characters for "dog" and "cow" so far from that show (and I wouldn't be surprised if "chicken" is in the next episode in my queue, since the preview noted a contest for ownership of the hen). In fact, it also taught me the Korean word for cow (소) as I simply hadn't had a reason to learn it previously (but I needed the Korean word for the definition side of my Hanja card, so I now know it). Granted, if I were actively learning Hanja, I'd likely already have these characters done long ago, but I'm not actively learning Hanja yet, so I didn't actually know them.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 143 of 844
27 May 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
They stopped doing the games months ago, so I think that's the last you'll see of the hanja.

Tomorrow, gonna climb a giant mountain that is called my backed up SRS reviews.

Watching a lot of K dramas, J dramas, and anime now. Dad hogs the computer looking up stocks everyday until he leaves for work at 2, so I've stocked our Netflix queue with a lot of K dramas (the ones that are available...a lot they list say "save") and more anime.

The finish line for RTK 1 is getting closer. Hope to start sentences for SRS and reading manga next week.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 144 of 844
03 June 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
I think in May, I made general improvements in understanding, but I didn't use the SRS much (dad hogging the computer, doing other things, etc.) I think I'd like to religiously use the SRS for a month or so, because I remember things much easier that I learn from the SRS, and while my grammar isn't the best, it's the vocab that's my biggest hole. I'm understanding more and more of dramas, but I just need to give it more time.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version