Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 177 of 844
07 July 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I saw that clip a while ago, but I think it was ruined. Some of those songs just didn't have the same feeling.

--

Yesterday was a good day. I only slept 5 hours Monday night in order to get more done, and I did, except for SRS reviews. I started copying Yoon Si Yoon a little bit, but at my listening level, I can only hear a few words at a time, miss one or two, and repeat. I can hear everything a girl says for the most part (unless they're talking really fast,) but for guys, it's another story. So, for now, I'm just watching and repeating his scenes in shows and copying strings of words at the moment. I tried the same with Abe Hiroshi, but my Japanese needs an improvement overall. Now it sounds faster than Korean to me. >.>

Because of that problem, I also use Korean-edu and smart.fm and say the sentences in unison with the speaker, making it much easier since I can read the sentence while talking.

I didn't get SRS reviews done last night, instead I chatted on Windows Live/MSN Messenger and Shared Talk for about 5 hours. With one guy, the conversation was mainly in Korean (maybe 55/45 Korean/English) and that made me happy. With some other people, there's still a mix, but heavily skewed towards English.

And I'm just glad there is a show/drama on every day I look forward to, which helps because I cannot wait for Coffee House episode 13 and 14 to come out...

--

Edit: Finally. In an episode I have of High Kick Through The Roof, Yoon Si Yoon is one of the focuses here (it is a sitcom, so sometimes he only speaks a few lines.) I used Windows Movie Maker and made a one minute clip of his scenes, (it is hard to cut exactly where you want, so it's probably 50-55 seconds if him talking) and I'm playing it on repeat. For now, I'll just listen a lot, then watch his mouth a lot, and then try to repeat after him/talk in unison.

Edited by The Real CZ on 07 July 2010 at 5:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 178 of 844
08 July 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday was mainly a focus on listening, as I didn't get through all of my SRS reviews. (I really need to get them done. I haven't added a new kanji in 2 months, and hardly any new Korean or Japanese cards in the last month.) I made a 3 minute clip of Yoon Si Yoon and a 2 minute clip of Abe Hiroshi (I can probably make anotehr 2-3 minute from him with what I have right now.) It just takes a while cutting and splicing clips to where they just talk, but it is worth it, since I have to listen to the clip several times in order to know where to cut.

Since today is my birthday, one of my close Korean friends gave me a Korean name: 정길. So, using my mom's maiden name, my Korean name would be 장정길.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 179 of 844
08 July 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I saw that clip a while ago, but I think it was ruined. Some of those songs just didn't have the same feeling.

They are acoustic versions from a singer with a different singing style than the original artists. Of course they don't have the same feeling. ;)

The Real CZ wrote:
Edit: Finally. In an episode I have of High Kick Through The Roof, Yoon Si Yoon is one of the focuses here (it is a sitcom, so sometimes he only speaks a few lines.) I used Windows Movie Maker and made a one minute clip of his scenes, (it is hard to cut exactly where you want, so it's probably 50-55 seconds if him talking) and I'm playing it on repeat. For now, I'll just listen a lot, then watch his mouth a lot, and then try to repeat after him/talk in unison.

I've actually got that whole series (unsubbed), but haven't watched any of it yet (mostly because it is in a different folder than many of my other videos, so I keep forgetting I even have it). Do you like it?

Edited by Warp3 on 08 July 2010 at 6:47pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 180 of 844
08 July 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
At first I only wanted to watch it for 4 reasons: "successor" to Unstoppable High Kick, which was good based on what I saw before aja-aja went members only. 2. Shin Se Kyung is hot. 3. Hwang Jung Eum is hot. 4. It was really popular (I'm only on episode 48. I'd be done, but I tend to watch too many shows.) *reasons not in order, just the order they came to my mind*

The show is pretty funny. It's similar to sitcoms that you'd see in most countries, and I like sitcoms (only American shows I can stand watching aside from cartoons like South Park and Family Guy.)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 181 of 844
09 July 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday was good. Watched a couple episodes of Kim Tak Gu (it has Yoon Si Yoon in it.) Watched part of Shinzanmono (has Abe Hiroshi in it.) While chatting last night on MSN, the conversation with one Korean girl was 50/50 Korean and English, so I felt happy about that. I think on Lang 8 or something I'll need to practice structures I don't use very much, know well but haven't used, and practice the structures that I've only learned (and hardly see and never use.) Most of what I say is still using simple Korean.

At the moment, downloading my favorite show (Invincible Youth.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 182 of 844
09 July 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
At the moment, downloading my favorite show (Invincible Youth.)

I really like IY (which is particularly odd since it is actually a reality show and I normally hate reality shows), but I think I'd have to claim Star Golden Bell as my favorite Korean show overall. Well, it was until they turned it into the abomination that is SGB: 1st Grade...that show isn't half as entertaining as SGB was. :(

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 183 of 844
11 July 2010 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I like SGB, but I can only watch it when SNSD or T-ara is on it. I can't watch Korean shows where they just sit and talk most of the time, because I'm lost 70-80% of the time and the only thing that keeps me watching is "that chick is hot."

--

Today....I had to but suspend 50+ more cards in the kanji deck. People weren't kidding when they said you needed to read and/or review every day. I just need spend the next week or two (my dad is on vacation, so my computer time will go down a little anyway) finishing RTK1 once and for all.

Windows Movie Maker loves freezing up on me. So far, I have 4 minutes of Yoon Si Yoon talking and 3 of Abe Hiroshi talking. Listening to those a lot are gonna help me in the long run. Wish I would have started this sooner.

Today so far has been mainly a grammar study day (aside from focusing on listening and speaking this week.) Really focusing on quoted patterns in Korean, as there are A LOOOOOOOOOT more in Korean than English, and I didn't pay attention to them very well in the beginning of my studies. Suddenly, a lot more things make sense to me. I'll need to cram them before putting them in the SRS since there are quite a few forms (and contractions of the quoted forms.) Another good thing about learning these was that I finally realized that you had to use these forms for "I think," "I heard," etc. In Japanese, did a little reading out of one of the grammar dictionaries and pretty soon I'll be adding stuff to the SRS from Tae Kim.

Not much drama watching for me today. Listening to some m-flo and Narsha's Bbi Ri Bba Baa (Don't know how subbers are getting "bop a" out of "bba baa"), among other girl groups.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 184 of 844
12 July 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I like SGB, but I can only watch it when SNSD or T-ara is on it. I can't watch Korean shows where they just sit and talk most of the time, because I'm lost 70-80% of the time and the only thing that keeps me watching is "that chick is hot."

Since this is one of the shows I watch subbed I don't really have that issue. For something unsubbed though, I completely agree...there has to be *something* more than just dialog going on to make it interesting (people you find interesting, humorous reactions, action, physical comedy, etc.). For some of the shows I watch and enjoy subbed, I honestly doubt I could maintain enough interest to continue watching them unsubbed (especially the dialog-heavy variety shows like SGB and Happy Together). Perhaps that's why when I watched one episode of Strong Heart (unsubbed) several months back, I couldn't ever find the motivation to watch another one.

Wait...that gives me an idea. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned my plan to re-watch certain material unsubbed, but nothing really became of it as the material has to be interesting enough to actually want to re-watch it. However, there are a few select episodes of SGB, HT, and IY that I *have* actually found myself re-watching (multiple times each, in fact) because they are such hilarious episodes. So, why am I re-watching the subbed versions instead of finding unsubbed copies for that purpose? {smack self in forehead for not thinking of this earlier}

Edited by Warp3 on 12 July 2010 at 12:40am

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version