Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 193 of 844
25 July 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
You find hanja helpful at all? Of course I'm learning them for Japanese, but I rarely see any hanja at all. I know the meanings to a lot that I see, but I don't know the reading (nor do I care lol.)

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 194 of 844
25 July 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Oddly enough, I swear I never recalled seeing all that many Hanja originally, but the more of them I learn, the more of them I see. Invincible Youth, in particular, seems to love putting Hanja on-screen.

One unexpected benefit was from relaxing my requirement to only learn Hanja for which I already know the meanings of the Hangul reading and meaning (the original reason for this was to keep my Hanja cards Korean-only). Since I'm accepting them without this requirement now (I put the English definition beside any unknown Hangul words), I'm actually learning new Korean vocabulary along with the Hanja characters.

The other benefit has been recognizing them in Chinese or Japanese writing (since they often have the same meaning). I would still like to eventually learn Japanese (but not anytime soon since I have my hands full with Korean and Spanish currently) and learning Hanja should make a great springboard for that.

Edited by Warp3 on 25 July 2010 at 5:31pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 195 of 844
27 July 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I see hanja on TV shows, but those are usually really common characters too.

--

This week focuses:
Korean - writing, speaking
Japanese - kanji, vocab

--

Trying something different. Putting in 5 or so cards in a SRS deck at a time, hoping it'll cause me to do more throughout the day. On days I want to add a lot of cards, I usually add none. I've started doing this for reviews too (just do 5, 5 more, etc.) instead of getting in the mindset to do everything at once.

Also, having deadlines is helping me, but I could still do better in time management.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 196 of 844
28 July 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I've meaning to post this for quite a while now, but keep forgetting: If you haven't already watched the episode of Happy Together featuring 이효리, 비, 구하라, and 이준, you definitely should. (NOTE: At least on the KBS World feed, this episode was split between two air dates (covering all of one show and the first half of the next show).)

Why?

1) It's by far the funniest episode of Happy Together I've *ever* seen. It has: dance parodies, 이준 revealing quite a lot of info about 비 (and to a much smaller extent, 구하라 about 이효리), 구하라 unexpectedly removing clothing (resulting in some very shocked reactions), 구하라 being unable to even look at 비 without blushing each time (until she starts dancing, anyway), and just the overall vibe of the show made it hilarious. (The "lyric creation" segment was quite boring, but that's about the only real boring part of the whole show.)

2) You get to hear 구하라 speak Japanese (the topic at the time was KARA's upcoming debut in Japan). Granted it is nothing but two very short phrases, but still...

---

On a semi-related note, I watched SGB: 1st Grade ep 4 last night and they had someone named Christina (who is obviously *not* a native Korean speaker) on there as part of the new Level With Me segment. (Side note: It's funny how each episode of SGB:1G keeps adding back features that the original SGB had. I wonder if they are having ratings issues with the new format.) Anyway, listening to her speak Korean was almost...painful. Think how Korean would sound in a high-pitched, nasal, Queens accent and you're pretty much dead on.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 197 of 844
29 July 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
I've seen clips of that episode (mainly Hara stripping and doing the dance.) As for the awful accent, I know who you're talking about. SNSD made fun of her a lot in Hello Baby. That chick was on Misuda (the show where they had foreign women talking.)

--

Doing the same old, trying to find something other than massive amounts of reading to improve my writing, which will in turn help my speaking. For now, when I'm working on speaking, it's mainly rhythm and accent reduction.

As for Japanese, I decided not to overdo the kanji every single day (I once did 100-150 for 6 days) because it leads to bad burnout. I had to start at the point before I last tried to finish RTK in a week because I was too lazy to review.

In general, I found that doing minimal amount of work is much easier, and causes me to do more. (Just do 5 SRS reps, Just read a few pages (1 in Japanese, it's murder without hiragana over the kanji), etc. It usually snowballs into more obviously, but it's working for me.

Also got books for two of my classes (start in a month at one, 3 weeks at the other.) I figure if I study the books this month, that'll free up even more free time during the school year.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 198 of 844
29 July 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
As for the awful accent, I know who you're talking about. SNSD made fun of her a lot in Hello Baby. That chick was on Misuda (the show where they had foreign women talking.)

I must not be far enough along in Hello Baby, yet, as I haven't seen that part. I've seen other obvious foreigners on some of the older episodes of SGB and many of them spoke Korean quite well.

I keep meaning to find and watch some episodes of 미녀들의 수다, but haven't done so yet (I do have a URL bookmarked for that series on bada.us, but I was hoping to find some downloadable versions instead).

Quote:
As for Japanese, I decided not to overdo the kanji every single day (I once did 100-150 for 6 days) because it leads to bad burnout. I had to start at the point before I last tried to finish RTK in a week because I was too lazy to review.

That's one reason I'm glad that Korean doesn't *require* 漢字 as I can learn them at whatever speed I wish without feeling that I'm slowing down my reading progress. Even now (with me adding quite a few characters in the past couple weeks), I'm still only up to 38 total characters in my SRS. I am tempted, though, to at least make myself add a set number per day to ensure progress (even if it's only 1 per day that's faster than the rate I'm going right now).

Of course the problem I run into is that I find a character I want to add, then can't find a good stroke order image for it. Wikimedia Commons has stroke order images for many of the characters, but I've found quite a few missing already (like the 漢 character I used earlier in this post). Sometimes I'll get lucky and find stroke orders for each element of the character and just add them that way, but often that trick doesn't work either. The Hanja book (A Guide to Korean Characters) I'm using has those stroke orders, but I can't exactly put that data into the SRS very easily.

Edited by Warp3 on 29 July 2010 at 3:49pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 199 of 844
29 July 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
You just have to practice writing to get the correct stroke order. I sometimes draw characters in the wrong order, but for now, I'm more worried about knowing the character's meaning and readings, since I'll write on the computer more often than I would on paper.

--

Lang 8 is awesome. I'm gonna make it goal to write an entry every day or so, because I am making small mistakes (a good part is unnatural vocab usage.) I plan to start writing in Japanese in the next few weeks. Gotta learn some more grammar (which is easy to learn because of Korean.)

--

Coffee House is finally done and I already miss watching it. Anyway, Eunjung has a movie lined up and T-ara is making their comeback in September/October. The comeback being so soon worries the hell out of me because the new T-ara member only has a few months of training at the max. (They saw her and her twin sister on Star King earlier this year and recruited them. The new girl's twin sister is gonna debut in another group.)

Speaking of debuts, Kara's Mister in Japanese was released (the PV at least.) Butt dance will never get old. Can't wait for BEG and SNSD to debut there, and hopefully T-ara next year or so.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 200 of 844
29 July 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
You just have to practice writing to get the correct stroke order. I sometimes draw characters in the wrong order, but for now, I'm more worried about knowing the character's meaning and readings, since I'll write on the computer more often than I would on paper.

It is true that I really don't *need* to learn stroke order, but I figure I may as well learn how to write them properly as I learn each one. I have considered splitting the stroke orders out onto their own cards, though, so I don't have to fail the whole card for it (I currently flag a Hanja card as failed if I miss any of the 3 answer fields: reading, meaning, or stroke order).

I completely agree with you that recognition (of the meaning) is by far the most important aspect, though.

Quote:
The comeback being so soon worries the hell out of me because the new T-ara member only has a few months of training at the max. (They saw her and her twin sister on Star King earlier this year and recruited them. The new girl's twin sister is gonna debut in another group.)

I wasn't aware they had a new member. Does this mean they are now a 7-member group or is someone getting replaced? If some of these groups keep growing (like After School and T-ara), SNSD is suddenly going to become a "normal-sized" group. Of course, then there are groups like Super Junior that are seemingly going the other way (all their recent performances have had only 10 members).

That reminds me...when I was reading the Wikipedia page for T-ARA recently (I was looking for some tidbit of info, but can't recall what) I noticed that Boram is the *oldest* member. Seriously? I had always assumed she was the youngest because she looks all of 12-years-old at most. Just...wow.

Quote:
Speaking of debuts, Kara's Mister in Japanese was released (the PV at least.) Butt dance will never get old. Can't wait for BEG and SNSD to debut there, and hopefully T-ara next year or so.

I read a post recently which mentioned that when the pre-ordering for Kara's Japanese version CDs was opened, the 3 different editions immediately shot into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots on Tower Records bestseller list. That's quite a debut.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version