Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 201 of 844
30 July 2010 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Boram looks the youngest because she had massive jaw shavings (look at her jaw in her pre-debut pictures.) But yeah, at first I thought she was the maknae too lol. Oh, and she is the new leader (T-ara is going to do a leader rotation every year, this is their third leader now. [JiAe, former member that dropped out before official debut, Enjung, and now Boram. A lot of fans are pissed off because Boram has no business being the leader since she's the second most useless member.]) Yeah, they added a new member a couple of weeks ago, but she isn't appearing until the second album releases.

Super Junior only 10 members because: Hangeng/Hankyung is suing SM Ent, Kim Kibum is focusing on his nonexistent acting career (Siwon is gonna be in another drama, Athena, being much busier, but able to do album promotions), and Kangin enlisted into the army (the guys in SJ are older than most idol groups.) Most of SJ will be going into the army starting next year.

Oricon is really the only chart that matters in Japan, so look for that one.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 202 of 844
02 August 2010 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
I did all my goal for this week. Could've been more intensive, but some is better than none.

--

Edit: I watched a lot of TV today, and for speaking practice, I just sang along with some ballads in Korean (some pop songs are too fast for me) and some ballads, pop, and rock in Japanese.

Edited by The Real CZ on 02 August 2010 at 5:29am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 203 of 844
04 August 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Last two days haven't been very good, and last night I hung out with a friend I haven't seen in three months. Ever since I graduated high school, I've only met up with a few friends and it's very infrequently (and I like it that way for the most part.)

A Korean girl helped me get Cyworld and it should be working in a few days, so I'm excited for that. The Korean friends I have barely use Facebook, if they even have it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 204 of 844
07 August 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I've been focusing more on chatting with people than anything else. Writing is really effective, and I'm trying to learn the basics of Japanese grammar quickly so that I can start writing in it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 205 of 844
07 August 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm making my post now because mainly the rest of the day will be relaxing and watching TV and a little reading, as I mainly did SRS this morning (reviewing and adding.) Just gonna reply to an email, maybe make some entries on Lang 8 (My Japanese active skills are reeeaaallly bad,) and maybe sing along to some songs in a ("cheap" and fun) way to practice pronunciation.

Anyway, I've been talking about my new goals for the year, so I decided to finally list them. 7/19 is when I officially started listing what to improve on the most every week.

Korean goal #1: (Aiming for 10/3) Read with little trouble, follow dramas much better, decent writing and speaking, chat/talk more easily

Korean goal #2: (Aiming for 1/3/11) Read with less trouble, follow dramas (missing obscure words and such), much improved writing+speaking, reduced accent, chat/talk easily

Japanese goal #1: (Aiming for 10/31) Know basic kanji (basically RTK1), read somewhat well using a dictionary, decent writing and speaking, start chatting with/ some difficulties, some comprehension in anime and dramas

Japanese goal #2: (Aiming for 1/31/11) Read with fewer troubles, improved writing and speaking, reduced accent, chat more easily, follow dramas and anime with some difficulty

Basically, my goal for Japanese at the beginning of 2011 is to be roughly where I want my Korean to be at the beginning of October. Learning both does take away time from the other, but learning both makes the weaker one much easier, as I don't spend nearly as much time being in confused in Japanese as I was when I was learning certain structures in Korean. A lot (but not all) and just replacing Korean words and grammar with Japanese words and grammar in the same places in the sentence.

If I don't achieve these goals (but I am doing everything to achieve them,) then no problem, because I would have improved much faster than I was earlier in the summer.

--

Edit: Made another video. Time to get a webcam or something. The volume on my camera keeps getting lower and lower.

2nd Korean video

Edited by The Real CZ on 07 August 2010 at 11:17pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 206 of 844
08 August 2010 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Your speech flowed much better reading from a script this time around. In fact, I found myself laughing at the first sentence: "I prepared in advance this time." It's unfortunate about the audio quality, though. The static was almost louder than the dialog. :-/

As for the content...I didn't know 시크릿 was due for a comeback; I've still got "Magic" half stuck in my head. I knew about the 보아 comeback, but I haven't seen any of this weekend's music shows yet.

Speaking of music shows, I was in for a bit of a shock when they started showing flashback scenes near the end of the show on Music Core last week. When I saw that I was thinking: "Wait...that's the kind of footage they show when someone leaves." Well, true enough, immediately afterward was the "Goodbye Tiffany and Yuri" portion to close out the show.

On a more language-oriented note, I went on a bit of a Hanja-adding spree since I last posted and I'm up to 60 in my SRS now. Part of what I added were the numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 100, 1000, and 10000), which I hadn't gotten around to adding yet. They don't use these very often in Korean (normally opting for Arabic numerals instead), but this will help me recognize them in Japanese and Chinese, plus I learned 2 Sino-Korean word roots that way: 석 (3) and 넉 (4)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 207 of 844
09 August 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
One of these days I'll buy a webcam (I can buy a good one on Amazon for $70, but I don't know if my computer can handle it [it's a 2006 model].) I'll probably ending up buying one tomorrow. >.>

I think I need to imitate Yoon Si Yoon a little more instead of just listening a lot. (And to make more clips of him speaking, but Windows Movie Maker loves freezing up.)

I think in the next week that I primarily focus on pronunciation, I need to work on differentiating ᄌ,ᄍ, and ᄎ and stop making my ᄉ sound like ᄊ.

As for 석 and 넉, I saw 석 while I was reading one of my Korean books and it took me a minute to remember that it is also used as 3, since that was the first time I've encountered it since I saw it in my Elementary Korean book.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 208 of 844
09 August 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I think in the next week that I primarily focus on pronunciation, I need to work on differentiating ᄌ,ᄍ, and ᄎ and stop making my ᄉ sound like ᄊ.

ㅅ/ㅆ are, by far, the hardest to distinguish in my opinion. Of course, you also have to consider that some dialects actually don't even distinguish those two (though most do, including the Seoul dialect). In fact, there was an episode of SGB (제248회, the "idol special" with 4 each from SNSD, Kara, Shinee, and 2PM) where they were poking fun at the host for pronouncing the group name 샤이니 as 쌰이니 instead. Despite them repeating both pronunciations multiple times, I really struggled to hear a difference. I need to fire up the audio from "Sounds of Korean" and work on the consonant sets, myself, particular the ㅅ/ㅆ pair.

Also check out this link that doviende posted in the thread about tones in Mandarin. I could see this method being very useful for Korean pronuncation.
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=328

Quote:
As for 석 and 넉, I saw 석 while I was reading one of my Korean books and it took me a minute to remember that it is also used as 3, since that was the first time I've encountered it since I saw it in my Elementary Korean book.

Until I saw them listed as the "meaning" entry for 三 and 四, I had never heard those two terms for 3 and 4. Fortunately they begin with the same consonants as 셋 and 넷, which makes them easier to remember.

Edited by Warp3 on 09 August 2010 at 2:34am

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version