Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 217 of 844
20 August 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it is lucky, since now 2NE1 is also debuting in Japan next year. T-ara is focusing on Korea; that's basically saying "Hey, everyone in the group is acting, so we can't afford to go to Japan now."

Personally, for reading, I just dove into native materials right away (I'm not as picky as you trying to know what's being said all the time. [Don't mean that in a bad way.]) I like reading the entertainment news since allkpop is kind of slow with that, so I read them and find an example sentence on Naver's dictionary for every unknown word and add them to the SRS. (Last night and this morning, I added around 100-110 cards. So roughly 160 or so new vocab words.) As for the grammar, yeah, assimilating is nice and all, but very long and tedious. On the side, I try to add two sentences per every grammar point in the SRS. I may do 1 grammar point a day (0 yesterday because of the all the vocab) and maybe up to 10. So, still learning both obviously, but once you know the basics of the grammar, vocab is more important.

I almost did buy bilingual books, but I tried reading some of them that Hanbooks offer in high school...and well, I hated them in English, so I wouldn't want to read them again. After 4 books (and yet to look up all the words and add them in the SRS...probably have 1000 words or so to look up still,) I'm getting 40-50% comprehension and that'll go up once I add all of the vocab to my SRS. Grammar and dialects are the biggest hurdles.

--

I just wanna add this tidbit. My written output has gotten a lot better in the two-three weeks that I've had a penpal (don't see her very much on MSN, so the majority of our talking is done through emails.) Also working out the stuff on Lang 8.

Edited by The Real CZ on 20 August 2010 at 6:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 218 of 844
20 August 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
My problem with the "LingQ / native material + dictionary style" of reading is when you run into the infamous "I know every single word in the sentence, yet I'm still not quite sure what the sentence actually means." syndrome. With a bilingual text, you look at the English translation and see what point the sentence is trying to make. Then, if it still confuses you, you can go dig further to try to find out why it means that (idiomatic usage, special grammar construction or sentence pattern you haven't learned, etc.).

Here is an idiomatic sentence I recently learned as an example: "제 눈에 안경이다." The literal translation is something like: "Glasses are on my eyes." The actual *meaning*, however, is more the equivalent of the English quotes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." or "Love blinds us to all imperfections." Fortunately, the Daum.net dictionary seems to do pretty well translating idioms like this, but that won't always be the case.

I do plan to read L2-only books (in fact, I've already decided on one L2-only book), but I want to go through at least one or two bilingual books first and also ramp up my grammar knowledge (as vocab is much easier to look up than grammar points are).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 219 of 844
20 August 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, sometimes it is much easier to copy&paste/write a sentence instead of just individual words, because sometimes, the phrase makes much more sense than the individual words. (+1 to the SRS. Thanks. First time I've ever seen that phrase in Korean.) I'd say look up individual words first, then phrases. I'm not sure about Daum's dictionary, but in Naver's, they always have a bunch of phrases at the bottom of the page that includes the individual word you're looking for. I like Daum and mainly use it for slang, but it's really slow on my computer, so it's my 3rd dictionary.

As long as you know the basic grammar in Korean, as long as you keep learning grammar as you read Korean-only books, the main problem is the indirect speech patterns, as there are a lot of them compared to English.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 220 of 844
20 August 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
+1 to the SRS. Thanks. First time I've ever seen that phrase in Korean.

You're welcome. FYI: that came from Let's Speak Korean episode 131. The English equivalents actually came from Daum.net's dictionary, though, since LSK was a bit vague on that phrase. They setup the scenario to show you *when* you would use that particular phrase, but then didn't really explain what it actually means very well (which isn't normal for them, so I think it just got overlooked as they were adjusting to the new format changes that started in that episode).

Quote:
I like Daum and mainly use it for slang, but it's really slow on my computer, so it's my 3rd dictionary.

It's not just your computer...I think the Daum.net website is just overall slower than some of the others. I, personally, like their dictionary better than the other online dictionaries I've tried, though. Naver's dictionary is quite good too, but I like the interface and result format better at Daum.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 221 of 844
20 August 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I mainly use Naver because you can put the word as it is and get a result, and it has a lot of example sentences. I also use Yahoo KR, but you have to put the word in dictionary format. It gives out a lot more definitions in English, but a lot less example sentences. Daum is both of them combined, but slow.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 222 of 844
23 August 2010 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Nothing new really. Making a video clip to listen to where Kamenashi Kazuya is the focus. I also added Jung Il Woo to listen to in Korean, but haven't gotten around to making a clip yet.

SRS whoring can bite you in the ass. I had to suspend about 15 of the 200 cards in Korean because I failed them twice in one session, and for Japanese, I tend to have to suspend a higher percentage (trying to remember the reading and the word in much harder than the word itself.) All I do with suspended cards is copy/paste the front and back to Word/Wordpad(whatever I have open at the time) and delete the original, so when I add the card again, the reviewing cycle goes back to the beginning.

Today was a good day for TV. Watched two episode of Nobuta wo Produce and the newest episodes of Heroes, HaHaMong Show, and Running Man. Off to watch episode 69 of The Good Days When The Wind Blows (I once was 20 or so episodes behind..now I'm 60-70 behind.)

--

On a side note, I made three new decks for 2/3 of my classes (I consider my lab science two different classes since I'm learning different stuff.) I might need to make a 4th one, but the other two classes are mainly writing.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 223 of 844
23 August 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
SRS whoring can bite you in the ass. I had to suspend about 15 of the 200 cards in Korean because I failed them twice in one session, and for Japanese, I tend to have to suspend a higher percentage (trying to remember the reading and the word in much harder than the word itself.)

Maybe that's part of why my deck is so small (1040 cards for a 5.6 month old deck). I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, so I limit how much I add per day and never suspend anything (to ensure I remember everything I've added). That's also likely why my vocabulary size sucks...hehe :)

Quote:
All I do with suspended cards is copy/paste the front and back to Word/Wordpad(whatever I have open at the time) and delete the original, so when I add the card again, the reviewing cycle goes back to the beginning.

Assuming you use Anki, you don't have to delete/re-add them to make them start over. When you are ready to use the cards again you can simply unsuspend them then select "Actions / Reschedule / Reschedule as New Cards".

Quote:
Today was a good day for TV. Watched two episode of Nobuta wo Produce and the newest episodes of Heroes, HaHaMong Show, and Running Man. Off to watch episode 69 of The Good Days When The Wind Blows (I once was 20 or so episodes behind..now I'm 60-70 behind.)

One show I'm starting to like is Challenge 1000 Songs. It is some sort of 노래방 competition show featuring various celebrities (most, if not all, are singers). Some of the recent episodes included various members from Secret which is why I tried it in the first place. Unfortunately, many of the songs are older trot songs that I've never heard (though there is some pop, dance, and rap in there, including some very recent songs), but it's almost like a ready-made form of L-R since they display the Korean song captions (and in *much* larger print than the music shows do). I've also been using it for number practice since they request a song by saying the number, then show the machine's display when the number is typed in.

Edited by Warp3 on 23 August 2010 at 6:57pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 224 of 844
24 August 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
It's not like my decks are huge either. ~1300 in my kanji deck, 150-160 suspended. 1150 in my Korean, ~15 suspended, Japanese ~400 cards, ~40 suspended. I started in either late March or early April, and for 6 weeks, I don't think I added a card in any deck. During finals week in May, too many cards piled up for reviews and I didn't want to do 200 reviews (though these days I do 300-400 on average just between the language decks.)

Thanks for the reschedule tip. That'll save me some time lol. I had some kanji that I failed 15+ times, because I didn't learn them well, and did my mass suspendings in the three decks I have in July just so I would start reviewing again.

I've seen clips of that show, but I only watch it when allkpop makes an article about it. There are too many good Korean variety shows to watch, so I have to limit myself.

Tomorrow is a long day at school, so aside from SRS and some minimal adding, I'm just planning to get a little reading and kanji study done, and watch some shows when I get home to relax.

I have a feeling that for the next month, I'll be married to my SRS because I'm also using it for my classes. I'm also trying to add at least 10-20 new cards a day, but I low ball the number because if I really feel like it, 50 cards is fairly easy in Korean and the Kanji deck, but I'm not at the point in Japanese where I can retain vocab easily.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version