Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 353 of 844
07 January 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
She tore/sprained something in her knee after Christmas. Those Dream High episodes were shot a month in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 354 of 844
07 January 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Ahhh...that was my first thought, but I couldn't find any articles about it when I did a brief search yesterday.

On that note, those K-pop stars seem to get injured more than pro athletes lately. In 2010 we had (just that I can recall off-hand; I'm probably missing several): 1 from f(x), 1 from Kara (though she kept performing and just wore a sling), 1 from T-ara, 2 from Shinee, and 1 from 2PM. That's also assuming that Tiffany's recent absence from SNSD is due to something other than injury (since I haven't really looked into that one). Otherwise, that's another one. (Initially, I thought Bekah from After School was injured and/or sick, but apparently she's visiting family in the US from what I've read.) Plus, there have been several others that had pretty bad looking falls that didn't seem to actually take them out of commission (like 보라's hard fall during one of Sistar's 가식걸 performances).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 355 of 844
08 January 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, if they don't miss something because of filming, it's because of an injury.

I think I learned something for myself: don't make such huge goals during vacations. Besides watching TV shows in both languages and playing a video game in Japanese, I haven't really done much. I must be reaching the point where I get tired of the SRS or something, but I know I need it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 356 of 844
14 January 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Ugh..page 4 again.

-Caught up on RTK SRS.
-Watching a lot of TV in both languages.
-Reading more in both.

I have some goals that I plan on achieving by the end of this semester (May 6th,) but I'll post them all after I get them all written down this weekend.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 357 of 844
17 January 2011 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
I'm slowly adding cards to my SRS these days. Need to cut down on wasting time on English forums. Well, not this one, since I only spend about five minutes a day, but others ones.

I finally have written down all of my goals for the first 4 months of the year.

Korean:
Understand 70% of dramas, variety shows, movies, etc.
Read 3 books
Have half of "Korean Grammar For International Students" in the SRS
Understand 50% of political, sports, and business articles
Write 20 journal entries
Practice 5 raps verses 200x each
Mine Coffee House ep 1's script

Japanese:
Understand 40% of dramas, movies, etc.
Read 3 books
Have all of "A Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar" in the SRS
Finish RTK 1
Understand 30% of political, sports, and business articles
Write 20 journal entries
Practice 5 rap verses 200x each
Mine Shinzanmono ep 1's script

--

Sometime in November, I started practicing rap verses as a way to improve my speaking, since rap forces your mouth to move fast. The first 5-10 repetitions are bad, but I'm at 45 for the first song in each language and it's getting easier and easier.

Of course, I need to work on output a lot, so I chose 20 journal entries, so basically 1 a week, and more during spring break. I need to do them especially for Japanese, since I have a hard time chatting in the language aside from "I like m-flo" and the like.

Gotta start thinking more too. I'm stepping away from the translating stage in Korean except for individual words that I don't know well, but Japanese...yeah...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 358 of 844
17 January 2011 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
What would you say your listening comprehension for Korean is now? That looked like a pretty easy list until I re-read the post and noticed that's for the first 4 months. Best of luck, regardless. :)

I went to the public library the other day and checked out Aekyung's Dream (a Korean-English bilingual children's book) again. According to a forum post on here, it was over a year ago (Nov 2009) last time I checked that book out and the difference is night-and-day. Before, part of my problem was that the Korean in that book is handwritten and thus trickier to read than typed text. Plus my vocabulary was quite small as nearly all of it had come from Pimsleur up to that point. However, now I can read the handwritten text without much difficulty and it's obvious that my vocabulary has shot through the roof since last year as I've run across very few words that were new to me. This is the first book I've actually tried reading in quite a while and the results are encouraging to say the least. I may have to take another shot at 어린 왕자 (i.e. The Little Prince) soon.

I also started in on two new shows recently (though, honestly, I need to stop adding shows until I knock out some of the ones I'm already watching...lol). The two I started are My Princess (which you recommended in a recent post) and 내 여자친구는 구미호. I'm watching them both subbed at the moment, but they are soft-subbed, so I can remove the subs as needed (and I'm not the only one watching so the subs work better for that). Both are quite interesting based on their first episodes, so hopefully that will continue. Sadly, HKttR is already starting to annoy me since it has quickly started turning from a sitcom into something more like a 25-minute drama series (I'm 11 episodes in, IIRC).

I also experienced the joy of reviewing a week's worth of SRS today since Anki Desktop has suddenly decreed all my decks to be corrupt (which AnkiDroid must have done somehow since I've been reviewing exclusively on the Droid for the past week). Fortunately, I had a backup from a week ago (and haven't added new data since that backup) so I didn't lose anything but the last week's worth of review information.

I'm still trying out the Gold List, but haven't decided how well I like it yet. Some distillations go smoothly (easy to pick the 30% to remove with wiggle room), others I get 1 or 2 entries that I'm confident in removing and have to start merging lines or debating what to nuke for the rest. That said, though, most of the early vocab was from vocab lists. The later Gold Lists I did were from mined material which will hopefully stick better than the random words did.

EDIT: Wow...that post turned out much larger than I expected. Sorry about the short speech I just gave...hehe :)

Edited by Warp3 on 17 January 2011 at 9:33pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 359 of 844
18 January 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
It really depends. I'm around 40-50%, depending on the show, and what they're talking about. A good chunk is missing vocabulary, specialized and/or rarer vocab, and just unknown words are the culprits.

I have the same problem with drama and variety shows. Watching ten shows in each language, should be finishing two Japanese dramas this week (watching 6 weekly, but 1 ep a week isn't too bad) while finishing Secret Garden this week. I also have a couple of other shows that also finished airing, so those'll be done sometime in February.

I'm glad I just use the computer version. Though, it probably would be best if I backed it up regularly (instead of once every 4 months.)

I don't think I could do the Gold List. I'd probably wouldn't bother checking them again and end up forgetting the words anyway.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 360 of 844
18 January 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
It really depends. I'm around 40-50%, depending on the show, and what they're talking about. A good chunk is missing vocabulary, specialized and/or rarer vocab, and just unknown words are the culprits.

That's what most of my lack of comprehension comes from as well (which is part of why I'm working with vocab-specific methods like Gold List lately).

Quote:
I have the same problem with drama and variety shows. Watching ten shows in each language, should be finishing two Japanese dramas this week (watching 6 weekly, but 1 ep a week isn't too bad) while finishing Secret Garden this week. I also have a couple of other shows that also finished airing, so those'll be done sometime in February.

I can't imagine having two languages to feed with media. I don't watch much, if any, English or Spanish media lately, and it's hard enough to keep just the Korean media to a small enough level. I guess that's a better problem to have than being bored with what you have, though.

Quote:
I'm glad I just use the computer version. Though, it probably would be best if I backed it up regularly (instead of once every 4 months.)

I think this is actually related to the issue where they've upgraded the server, so you have to have a version with the new libraries to use sync now and the last "stable" version they have for AnkiDroid doesn't run on the new libraries yet (though they are close to releasing a new "stable" version that does). However, I tried to sync before knowing about that change and I think that's what hosed the DBs (though oddly they still worked fine in AnkiDroid). (Anki Desktop will actually refuse to sync now unless you have 1.2 or higher, but AnkiDroid apparently hasn't implemented that type of sync blocking functionality yet.)

Anki does do some automatic backups regularly (inside Anki, go to Settings / Preferences / Saving / Open Backup Folder to be sent to view the auto-backup folder), but it is still worthwhile to manually backup the decks and media folders somewhat frequently as well.

Quote:
I don't think I could do the Gold List. I'd probably wouldn't bother checking them again and end up forgetting the words anyway.

It doesn't take much time at all (maybe 10-15 min) for the distillation portion and all you need is the notebook and a pen for that part (which is nice as it means I can distill lists pretty much anywhere). Adding words can be a bit more involved, depending on the vocab source, but it still takes me less time than it does to add entries to the SRS (partly because I'm not seeking out example sentences to enter). However, one of the points of the method is to only work in 20 minute blocks at most, so if it takes too long when adding vocab, I'll just split the task into two sessions for that list.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version