Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 54 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 425 of 844
16 May 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, sometimes getting bogged down in getting all (or even most) of the words can sap your motivation. Better to learn a new 5% of the words each time from hundreds of articles than learning 80% of say 2 articles.

On a semi-related note, a short while back I took TTMIK's first 이야기 PDF and added every single word I didn't know from it to Anki then later listened to the MP3 several times in a row. While this is kind of the opposite of what you just mentioned, I wanted a dialog-based audio file to listen to where I was 100% certain I knew all the words (so if I didn't understand something I heard then I would know it was due to needing more listening practice, not just a lack of vocabulary).

I finally finished 어린 왕자 last night, so it's time to move on to something else now. I'm thinking about making 소나기 my next story as: (a) it is very short, (b) it is very well known in Korea (thus frequently referenced in Korean pop culture), and (c) I have the Korean text plus two different English translations for it.

I also picked up a nice little dual-screen Android based e-Reader on sale recently (called the Entourage Pocket Edge), which I'm going to start using for reading (one of the two screens is e-Ink the other is a color LCD). It took forever to get 소나기 on it in a readable format, though, since apparently Calibre doesn't want to convert Korean RTF files into ePUB files without hosing the encoding along the way (finally had to just convert it to PDF instead since the Pocket Edge's reader can reflow the text in PDFs).
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 426 of 844
17 May 2011 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
Aside from you mentioning it, I've never heard of Sonagi.

As for listening, I think the thing that helps the most with listening comprehension is reading comprehension. I've come to notice that the better I understand things when I read, the better I understand things when I listen. I tried things like repeated listening and listening while reading a transcript and I think I'm past the level where they'll help me in either language.

Today was mostly a Japanese day. I did read some manhwa and about ten articles in Korean, but with Japanese, I played a video game for an hour, watched 4 episodes of an anime, read 100 pages of a manga, and I've been listening to a lot of capsule this week, which is a Japanese duo comprised of a vocalist and a DJ.

Also read a lot of Gamaran, but I was reading that in English instead of Japanese.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 427 of 844
17 May 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Aside from you mentioning it, I've never heard of Sonagi.

I know it was referenced in 엽기적인 그녀 (one of her movie ideas was an obvious knockoff of that story), and I'm pretty sure it was referenced in 패밀리가 떴다 as well (though I can't recall why I think that). I also recall GoldFibre mentioning it on his blog at one point.

Regardless, I changed my mind and pushed it back a bit. Instead I've decided to first quickly read through the short stories at http://www.lonweb.org/. When I went there previously, the stories were still a bit over my head (as my vocab count was still horrendously low at the time), but I read through one yesterday and it seemed so ridiculously simple that it feels almost inconceivable how I ever had trouble with them. There may have been 5-6 unique unknown (or at least not well-known) words in the whole short story (though granted the stories are very short). It's nice to see my vocabulary study actually paying off. :)

Quote:
As for listening, I think the thing that helps the most with listening comprehension is reading comprehension. I've come to notice that the better I understand things when I read, the better I understand things when I listen. I tried things like repeated listening and listening while reading a transcript and I think I'm past the level where they'll help me in either language.

You've also done a lot more unsubbed drama watching than I have which I believe helped you immensely. Perhaps it is fortunate that many of the shows I watch subbed have either ended already or are ending soon, since this has been pushing me over to watching more unsubbed material. Fortunately, my favorite show right now (꽃다발) is unsubbed, as well.

I wish I could get into dramas more as I know it would help with more colloquial speech, but I'm bad to get partway through a drama series and lose interest (usually around the time they start dropping most the early comedy elements and dragging in the more emotional scenes by the bucket load). It looks like 내 여자친구는 구미호 is the first drama series I'm actually going to watch to completion (2 episodes left). I am still watching 지붕뚫고 하이킥 though which, while it has its share of drama injected into it, is at least still a comedy at the core and thus keeps me watching. I've got like 80 of those left, though.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 428 of 844
17 May 2011 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
You could do like I do and just watch a lot and drop a lot. A lot of Korean dramas start out guns a blazing, but they lose their steam halfway through. That's when I end up dropping a lot of dramas. I've only finished Dream High and My Princess so far this year (Eunjung and Kim Tae Hee, go figure lol.) Lately I've been watching more variety shows, but my favorites are getting canceled left and right lol.

Also checked that link and they need to get rid of the romanization column.

Today I'm gonna do the same stuff, but this week is gonna be a 500 vocab challenge for Japanese, where I try to get 500 new words "met" this week and add a good chunk of them to the SRS. It's probably better for me to work in smaller chunks than huge chunks like I was at the end of last month (i.e. try to get 2000 vocab words "met" in a month.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 429 of 844
17 May 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
You could do like I do and just watch a lot and drop a lot. A lot of Korean dramas start out guns a blazing, but they lose their steam halfway through. That's when I end up dropping a lot of dramas. I've only finished Dream High and My Princess so far this year (Eunjung and Kim Tae Hee, go figure lol.) Lately I've been watching more variety shows, but my favorites are getting canceled left and right lol.

Yeah, that could work, too. I made it through several episodes of Athena: Goddess of War, but then my interested waned a bit, so I haven't watched on recently. I need to get back into that one, though, as I did enjoy it overall due to the action elements.

I haven't actually started Dream High yet, but I made it through all but 4 episodes of My Princess before I finally stopped watching it. My Princess was very entertaining for the first few episodes, but went downhill rather quickly after that, IMO. :( In fact, if it were only me watching them I'd have honestly stopped long before then, as I'd lost interest in MP much earlier.

Quote:
Also checked that link and they need to get rid of the romanization column.

Agreed.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 430 of 844
18 May 2011 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Dream High...the best episodes are 5-15. 1-4 made me a temporary Suzy anti. That's when her acting was at her worst. My Princess was good was good through episode 7 and was very mediocre until the last episode, but I won't lie, I watched it every week to see Kim Tae Hee for 2 hours lol.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 431 of 844
23 May 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Finished my 500 vocab in 5 days challenge for Japanese. Probably suspended 40% or so. No big deal. I remembered more than I expected.

Next up is a 2000 kanji in 10 days, so that I can finally get done with RTK. I almost finished it twice, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5295 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 432 of 844
23 May 2011 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Quantity runs can be annoying and time-consuming, but they have their place sometimes.

I see your interest in Japanese has returned after your previous comments about dropping it to focus on Korean. I've been tempted to start dabbling in Spanish again (beyond just reviewing my existing SRS deck which never has more than a handful of cards per day now), but we'll see if anything comes of it.

FYI, I finished 내 여자친구는 구미호 over the weekend. Even at the end, that remained a very enjoyable drama. I wish more of them were like that. Speaking of which, I'm considering Coffee House as a new drama to add to my queue (I downloaded it a while back, I just haven't actually started watching it yet). Since I know you've already seen it, what did you think of it?

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version