Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 449 of 844
16 June 2011 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Been watching Nicole Goes to College and Yankeekun to Meganechan. Aside from that just the usual vocab hunting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5313 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 450 of 844
17 June 2011 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
I've watched several episodes of NGTC and the thing I've noted so far is that Nicole doesn't come off as particularly bright in that show (at least not so far). :-/

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 451 of 844
17 June 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
You mean school wise or just in general? I applaud her even trying to go to college even though she's not fluent in Korean.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5313 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 452 of 844
17 June 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I had previously read that she has somewhat of a reputation of a "ditz" but I had always disagreed with that assessment as much of that impression seemed to be well explained by her limited experience with Korean (in the same way that I can express myself intelligently and very precisely in English, but I'm sure I sound like a simple-witted moron in Spanish or Korean). However, she does a lot of narrating in English in NGTC and, to be honest, she didn't seem to really sound that bright in English either (not that she sounded "dumb", really, just...different than what I expected, I guess).

I absolutely agree that she is to be commended for tackling college due to both her level in Korean and her very busy schedule. College classes can be tough enough without those impediments and she took the effort to do it anyway. I can't say I would have done the same thing in that same scenario, so "kudos" to her.

EDIT: I watched two more episodes of this over the weekend and I'm starting to think I was a bit mistaken with my initial impression. I now believe it was more the fact that her "valley girl" speech style in English was affecting my impression more than what she was actually saying. It reminds me of the portion of Jeff Foxworthy's stand-up comedy routine that starts off with: "A southern accent isn't the most intelligent-sounding accent." The "valley girl" style of speech often gives that same type of impression and her English narration in that show does come off as "valley girl" style (at least to me it does).

Edited by Warp3 on 20 June 2011 at 4:37pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 453 of 844
26 June 2011 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
She calls herself a "genius" in some the later episodes. I can only tell three American accents to be honest. The Southern accent, the New England accent, and the Ohio accent. And since where I live is the neutral US accent I don't hear the other accents very often.

I abandoned the SRS again (over a month ago.) I just can't stand using it.

So what I've done is group words into groups of 20 and study them 5 times. After 5 reviews of the group I delete it. I'm behind on reviewing all the groups (got 112 or so in Japanese, 19 in Korean.)

I watched this video and tried it out. I only use it for reading, not everything else he says.

So I'll read a paragraph of something, try guessing what the words mean based off context and then look them up. I do this for articles and drama scripts, mainly because I can copy/paste things. I'm sure it'd work for books but it'd be cumbersome.

The words stick better (for me.) I figure 5 reviews would be enough for me to feel comfortable with them. If I encounter them later on and don't know the words off the bat, I'll look them up and add them to another group.

Well, it may be "inefficient" but I actually review words now. It works for kanji in Japanese. I don't remember all the meanings from RTK but using this method I can recognize the kanji's reading and some of its meanings because of the words they have been used in.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 454 of 844
29 June 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
T-ara's Roly Poly is my jam. Not doing much language study aside from listening to music and reading.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5313 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 455 of 844
29 June 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I've not heard Roly Poly yet, but that will change soon since Friday is the first day of their comeback (now that I'm actually caught up on music shows so I don't watch them 1-2 weeks late anymore). It's odd they are coming back this week then going to Japan next week, though. That seems like odd timing.

The song that has been most thoroughly stuck in my head lately is Jewelry's "Pass", which I've found to be very addictive. It probably doesn't hurt that I've picked up a large portion of the lyrics for that song without even really trying, so I can understand it and sing along easily.

The only notable change in my learning lately is that on Friday I started following several Korean celebrities (mostly Kpop singers, though there are a few other celebs I'm following as well) on Twitter and reading the resulting feed. I'm getting much more reading practice now that I've started doing that. The tweets are short, interesting, and colloquial which seems to boost my motivation to keep reading (unlike with many other text sources). The most repeated topics lately seem to be "trouble sleeping" (in fact, Kara's Gyuri and Younha had a full back-and-forth conversation about this one night), "it's raining again" (which seems to be the most common theme by far over the past several days), "T-ara's Roly Poly", and "Mighty Mouth's new song / music video" (which I also haven't heard/seen yet). Oh, and the various members of Kara have been posting in Japanese as much or more than Korean lately (or half-and-half for each tweet like Nicole has been doing with many of her posts).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 456 of 844
30 June 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
@crz1990 is my Twitter. I mainly use Twitter to follow Korean artists/idols and Japanese artists. So yeah I've seen all of those tweets you mentioned lol. T-ara's actually debuting on Mnet Countdown. Their Japanese debut isn't set in stone yet. They're just doing one of their fan meetings over in Japan and performing. They won't officially debut in Japan until their Roly Poly promotions are done. Mighty Mouth's new song is good but not as good as TokTok. The MV is great though. Has some got chicks with some big boobs in it.

Oh, I've been becoming a Rainbow fan lately mainly because of Hyunyoung. Cute face + great thighs = win.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version