Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 85 ... 105 106 Next >>
sage74
Groupie
United States
Joined 5219 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 673 of 844
26 March 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
mctttt wrote:
Hello,

Reading through your post is inspirational, a great log for us learning languages out
there. I was hoping you could
give me some guidance on some good beginner Korean resources, I found a few in your log
but its too long to read
every page :).

A quick summary would be extremely helpful and I would appreciate any advice you had
for someone looking to
learn Korean.

Thanks

Oh, sorry for the late reply. Last week was midterm week, so I was swamped with having
to use more English than normal.

I see that you live in Canada, so the best site for you to use is
DramaFever.

For a beginner, Talk To Me In Korean is
essential. I wish this site existed when I was a beginner, as I floundered around
trying to learn the grammar haphazardly.

Naver's Dictionary is my preferred dictionary. Plenty
of example sentences for the definitions. Daum has a better Eng-Kor dictionary (more
definitions in English), but Naver's Kor-Kor dictionary is much better. So I use both,
but mainly use Naver.

If you want anymore links, just ask, but I see those three links as being essential.

Good links, Will try getting through them soon, after 2 years I still don't have Hangul
down 100%.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 674 of 844
18 April 2013 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
So I'm catching up on AJATT today and look what I happen across:
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/srs-less-learning

3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 675 of 844
21 April 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
So I'm catching up on AJATT today and look what I happen across:
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/srs-less-learning

Yes, Khatz emailed me and asked me to write that. If you read the comments below and the article where I commented that made Khatz notice me, there are so many people who believe that you MUST use an SRS to make any progress in a language.

Because of school and website duties, I haven't had much time to update my log, but I'm still learning plenty. Tomorrow is my real last day of class, then final's week is next week, where I finish on May 2nd. I'm not sure if I'll end up getting an internship for the summer (I'm still hoping just to get an interview...), so this summer I should make a lot of progress in my languages.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 676 of 844
21 April 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I can see both sides of it.

One the one hand I've nearly dropped my SRS completely (except for Hanja which seem well suited to the SRS format) several times, but have never actually done so. Part of the reason is that it is hard to believe that I could use that small of a time window much more effectively with other activities. For example, today I only spent 11 min on the 한국어 deck (104 cards reviewed; 6 of which were new) and 20 min on Anki total (154 cards, including 7 new Hanja cards). That time block is not always contiguous either, which it would need to be for something like reading to take its place. Another point is that my SRS reviews are done while I'm eating breakfast in the morning, so that time isn't solely dedicated to just SRS. As for adding cards, that is usually done while watching a music show, so that isn't really dedicated time either. If I were spending longer amounts of time with my SRS and that time was always contiguous then I could easily see that time being more usefully spent on another task, but I'm not sure that's the case for me.

Despite all that I have still considered dropping the SRS for everything but Hanja. Like you, I feel I'm entering (if not already well into) the stage where extensive reading can be far more useful than targeted vocabulary study.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 677 of 844
21 April 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Well, you know me, I like to learn a lot of words at once, so the enormous number of Anki reviews that were awaiting me each day drove me off from using it. When I only put a small number of words in there, I didn't feel like I was learning anything.

Right now, I am at the stage where I'm trying to learn every unknown word I come across. I'm at the point where I can understand stuff pretty well in Korean, but there are subjects where I can barely comprehend anything. Then in the subjects i can comprehend pretty well, there are still plenty of words that keep me from comprehending 100%.

Tomorrow when I get home from school, I'll be finished with my last big project of the semester, so then I can go into a more detailed account of what I have been doing for the past month.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 678 of 844
21 April 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
I can understand that. If I were adding cards at a rate quick enough to ramp up my review time
significantly, that would change the whole equation in favor of heavy reading with dictionary lookups here
and there (similar to what you describe doing). It would also be different if I were doing SRS instead of
reading rather than in addition to it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 679 of 844
02 May 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Oh wow, I had planned to post last week, but never did. Anyway, time for the update.

In the past month, I resumed studying Japanese and started German (in preparation for the 6WC and I'm taking a German class in the fall), and I've been continuing with Korean as usual.

In Japanese, I decided to start learning words by themselves instead of trying to remember the word and the kanji that go along with them. I'll split up learning words and kanji (and the readings) into two separate processes. I know this goes against the grain, but as a learner of Korean, we can all attest to the fact that we don't NEED hanja to learn words 9though it is helpful). When it comes to speaking and listening, I don't need to know the readings and kanji. However, for reading I obviously do, so I'll learn them separately. It will be easier for me down the road if I already know the word and the kanji meaning, so then I'll just have to match the sounds to the kanji instead of trying to learn the word, the kanji, and the reading at the same time. That was what kept me from progressing in Japanese a couple of years ago.

In German, I'll be going through FSI and Assimil multiple times. I don't do the drills in FSI, I just use it because the explanations are useful and there are a lot of example sentences in the drills. For Assimil, I like to do multiple passes instead of just doing 1 lesson per day for four months. I generally avoid the notes in Assimil the first time, and since I'm also reading through FSI, I don't need the notes as much the first time through.

In Korean, doing the same old. I'm basically working on patching up things I'm not comfortable in it (low frequency vocabulary and grammar, along with field-specific vocabulary) before I really start working on output. I have found that output activities don't help me much themselves, but they help point out what I need to work on, which at this point is still learning more advanced vocabulary and grammar, since I can talk about general things here and there, but nothing in depth like finance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 680 of 844
04 May 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
In Japanese, I decided to start learning words by themselves instead of trying to remember the word and the kanji that go along with them. I'll split up learning words and kanji (and the readings) into two separate processes. I know this goes against the grain, but as a learner of Korean, we can all attest to the fact that we don't NEED hanja to learn words 9though it is helpful). When it comes to speaking and listening, I don't need to know the readings and kanji. However, for reading I obviously do, so I'll learn them separately. It will be easier for me down the road if I already know the word and the kanji meaning, so then I'll just have to match the sounds to the kanji instead of trying to learn the word, the kanji, and the reading at the same time. That was what kept me from progressing in Japanese a couple of years ago.

In some ways that sounds similar to what I was doing with the words and phrases from Pimsleur Japanese. I entered them into the SRS completely in Kana since I was still learning them as "audio" at the time and Kanji wouldn't really help with that (plus I needed the Kana reading practice). I did place the Kanji+Kana version in one of the answer fields (for reference only), but the question side was pure Kana (Katakana for English loan words, Hiragana for everything else).

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version