Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 92 ... 105 106 Next >>
nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3933 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 729 of 844
05 January 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:

As I saw that you did the mistake twice, I thought I'd correct you on one thing.
Instead of 勉強して始めた and 見て始めた, it should be 勉強し始めた and 見始めた. It is
a construction to say (as you translated) that you started to do something: Radical+始
める.

Looks like we both made the same mistake in our introduction ^^. Looking forward to being your team
mate! I'm also interested in Korean myself but I don't have the time to start any real studying at the
moment.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 730 of 844
05 January 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
ええ~面白い!

俺も一番好きなドラマはライアーゲームだ。 それで、戸田恵梨香のドラマは 大体全部見たよ!
ww 戸田恵梨香のほかのドラマ は何を見たの?

As I saw that you did the mistake twice, I thought I'd correct you on one thing.
a construction to say (as you translated) that you started to do something: Radical+始
める.

The only other mistake I saw was the lack of the な between 好き and ドラマ!

Anyway, nice intro! I've been following your korean progress for a while but had no
idea about your background!

今年、日本語も韓国語も頑張ろうね!

僕は仁(じん)というドラマを見たことがあ る。そのドラマが面白いに見た。僕は戸田恵 梨香だけ好きじゃないよ。僕は堀北真希、
新垣結衣、瀧本美織、長澤まさみなど大好き よ。

Thanks for the corrections. It's hard for me to remember whether some constructions are
done in the "masu" form or the "te" form, but I'll drill the problematic structures
down by reading out loud plenty of example sentences. For Korean, it is much easier to
add on the particles to the verb since Korean normally just uses the dictionary form,
but then there are other parts that are easier in Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 731 of 844
05 January 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
nandemonai wrote:
yuhakko wrote:

める.

Looks like we both made the same mistake in our introduction ^^. Looking forward to
being your team
mate! I'm also interested in Korean myself but I don't have the time to start any real
studying at the
moment.

Haha, it happens. To be honest, I have very little output practice in Japanese compared
to Korean and Chinese. Almost all of my knowledge is passive in Japanese, as I have
coasted along pretty easily due to the grammar similarities between Korean and
Japanese, so understanding is fairly easy for me, but actually producing any sentences
will probably result in mistakes in the foreseeable future.

If you do learn Korean at a later point in time, your time with Japanese will make
Korean feel really easy after you get past some of the beginning hurdles. Korean
conjugation is just as messy as Japanese, but once you get past that and the beginning
grammar structures, you'll find it fairly easy.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 732 of 844
09 January 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I guess today is good for an update. Last year I experimented a little bit with MCDs
for learning vocab, but found it a little cumbersome. However, I'm trying it with a
different twist this year. Instead of actively trying to recall the clozed word, I'll
always hit the space bar to show the answer and click 'good' each time. I'm basically
using this as an aid when I do intensive reading, which makes things go much more
smoothly, and without the pressure of trying to get everything correct, I'm studying
more and seeing more words (and in context).

I decided that I really needed this for Chinese and to a lesser extent, Japanese. I
have forgotten quite a bit of Japanese (but it's quickly coming back), and this helps
me a lot when reading. For Chinese, there are just way too many unknown words when I
try reading any news article, so none of it ever sticks. For Korean, it's basically
solidifying what I know and is helping me get through more technical articles, as I
need to push my Korean to understand more than what I read in entertainment articles
and hear ind dramas.

In Chinese, I'm mainly using song lyrics to learn vocabulary. I'm sure I can learn a
couple of thousand words this way (I did it for Korean), and it a much more enjoyable
manner than trying to do this with some random news articles. Daily Apple has a lot of
funny articles that I plan on doing this method with towards the end of the year. RIght
now, I'm mainly focused on mining the lyrics for Hebe Tian and Jolin Tsai's songs. The
MCDs are helping me understand the songs when I listen to them, too, which is just a
great bonus.

For Japanese, I'm simply MCD-ing wikipedia articles about stuff I like. I copied some
information from Hunter x Hunter, Persona 3, and Full Metal Panic into a word document
and I'm going through each paragraph, looking up every unknown word. I'm sure this will
take a while to get through, but I think this well help me understand stuff a lot more
when it comes to these series. I plan on doing this with drama scripts and song lyrics
in the future.

In Korean, I'm using this method for political articles and song lyrics, as hiphop
songs contain a lot of vocabulary not inherent in pop songs. I plan on trying to branch
out into business and science articles in the future, but I can understand political
articles fairly well, so I'll keep going until it starts becoming easy. Plus, I just
like reading the weird news that always comes out of North Korea.

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5876 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 733 of 844
09 January 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I think using MCD in this way is an intersting approach. I have a question though: what does the answer side of one of those cards contain?

Edited by Hasi on 09 January 2014 at 7:02pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 734 of 844
09 January 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
I think using MCD in this way is an intersting approach. I have a question
though: what does the answer side of one of those cards contain?

Definitions of the clozed words/phrases (usually in English, but sometimes I have to use
Korean-Korean definitions for the Korean cards). I ignore grammar as I have separate
decks for learning grammar. Naturally, I have the kana/pinyin as well to help me read for
Chinese and Japanese cards.

Edited by The Real CZ on 09 January 2014 at 9:01pm

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5876 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 735 of 844
09 January 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
thanks so much for the explaination. that sounds pretty good, I can certainly see this as being useful. next month, when I have more time for anki, I will try it out :)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 736 of 844
09 January 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Hasi wrote:
thanks so much for the explaination. that sounds pretty good, I can
certainly see this as being useful. next month, when I have more time for anki, I will
try it out :)

What language are you studying? if it's one of the three I'm studying, I can post some
examples of what my cards look like so that you can get a visual of it.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version