Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 94 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 745 of 844
19 February 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Regarding this Kanji/Hanja/Hanzi, do you find that studying all
three languages helps you with vocabulary acquisition a lot? How much does knowing Korean
well help with Mandarin?

In the beginning, there was a learning curve with learning words in Japanese and Mandarin
despite knowing Korean, but after getting past the 1,000-2,000 vocab mark, acquiring
vocab becomes that much easier because of previous knowledge in Korean and knowing enough
words in Japanese and Mandarin. The characters really help, because they are similar
between the three languages, though Japanese has simplified them (and I am learning
Taiwanese Mandarin, so I'm using traditional characters because they are also used in
Korean.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 746 of 844
19 February 2014 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
@Warp

I saw your tweet, but Twitter is too short to explain my answer. First, you have to
remember that Japanese has "on" and "kun" reading. "Kun" is the native Japanese
word/reading, while the "on" is the Chinese reading. In your 車 example, comparing the
"on" reading to the Korean and Mandarin readings.

Japanese "on" reading: sha
Mandarin reading: che1
Korean reading: cha

Most readings will be very similar, but different enough where I don't get them mixed up.

I realize that, but that is also the character used to represent the word "くるま
(kuruma)" as well, is it not (I know the Japanese IMEs convert kuruma to that character)?
I just know that when I see that character my brain automatically "reads" it as 차 (cha)
with almost no hesitation, due to exposure to Korean Hanja, so when I started learning
Japanese previously I found myself regularly coming up with the Korean readings for the
characters rather than the Japanese ones. I'm sure you get used to it somehow, but I
can't mentally grasp how you go about keeping your mind in the right "language gear" so
you are reading the characters correctly rather than rattling off words in a different
language out of sheer force of habit.

Then again the more I think about it, maybe it's not so different from reading an unknown
word in an English or Spanish text and instinctively using the right pronunciation for
whichever language mode you are using. I just know it gave me a fit with Japanese and I
find it hard to imagine how it would get all that much less confusing over time (especially
when you throw yet another language into the mix on top of those two).

Actually, thinking about it even more, I think part of my hangup is that fact that Japanese
can latch on multiple syllable readings onto a single character whereas my brain is used
to treating Hanja as their syllable block equivalents in Korean (which you can't easily do
in Japanese).

Edited by Warp3 on 19 February 2014 at 4:15am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 747 of 844
21 February 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
The 6 week challenge burnt me out on language learning, so I'm scaling back and just
focusing on Korean. I was simply trying to spend too much time on languages and it
started feeling like a chore as opposed to something I enjoy. So I picked the language
that I enjoy the most and will go forward with Korean and will pick up Japanese and
Chinese in the future.

This also coincides with me trying to get some part time jobs before I go back to
university to get a degree in accounting (should only take me 2-3 semesters part time
since I have a finance degree already) and getting back to enjoying my other hobbies
(like video games and baseball).

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 748 of 844
21 February 2014 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
The 6WCs can be really intense... Last time I racked up the kind of times you've been logging, I also got really burnt out after a month. I still wish I had the time and drive to progress as much as you probably did with Chinese this month :)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 749 of 844
21 February 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
The 6WCs can be really intense... Last time I racked up the kind
of times you've been logging, I also got really burnt out after a month. I still wish I
had the time and drive to progress as much as you probably did with Chinese this month
:)

I definitely see the benefits of the 6WC. I probably learned around 1,000+ words in the
two-plus weeks that I was focusing on Chinese (and probably a couple more thousand
since the beginning of the year), got a lot more acclimated to the grammar, and the
majority of the language doesn't seem foreign, either.

I also made quite a lot of progress in Japanese back in January before the 6WC. I have
made solid progress in Korean, but it just doesn't "seem" like I have since learning
some words when you already know quite a bit doesn't seem to be helping.

I'll probably just go low intensity for the next week, making sure to learn new words
and to watch some more dramas, but I'll have to think up of what to do in March to push
my Korean after a short break from really intensive studying.

Edited by The Real CZ on 21 February 2014 at 8:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 750 of 844
23 February 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
In the past week or so while solely focusing on Korean, I feel a lot more refreshed
when it comes to language learning. I don't feel guilty anymore when I'm not studying,
which is really important. I was using external stimulation (like the 6 Week Challenge)
to get me to study instead of internal stimulation, so I attribute that leading to
burnout.

I've translated a couple of interviews Hyosung had about her drama Cheo Yong and an
older interview SNSD's Jessica had with Elle. Nothing really challenged me
grammatically, just had to look up some words. Sometimes there is a structure or two
that confuses me, but I believe I know the majority of the ones used commonly and that
I just have to start working more on the advanced structures mainly used in literature.

I started intensively reading some webtoons earlier in the week. I can read them fine
and understand them through extensive reading, but I'm trying to learn many words now
and then do some more extensive reading to help them stick. For now, I'm just using
regular paper flash cards. I feel like the simpler the system I use, the more I end up
doing the activity, thus the more effective it is for me.

With dramas, I resumed The Golden Empire, a 2013 series starring Go Soo, Lee Yo Won and
Son Hyun Joo. It's from the same writer as 2012's The Chaser and has a lot of the same
cast members in it. I really like the political thriller take this show has. It has a
lot of dialogue and a lot of finance/economic vocabulary, so I'll probably have to mine
the scripts (it's an SBS series, so the scripts are available) and read more
economic/finance news in Korean.

When it comes to podcasts, I'm listening to them more, especially when I'm cleaning,
level grinding in an RPG (where I'm basically on auto-pilot trying to gain levels,
money, etc.) and will go back to listening to podcasts when I go out for walks when it
finally warms up around here. I plan to save up for a mp3 to radio converter for my new
car, as if/when I get a job and go back to uni, that's roughly a 40-45 minute drive
each way, and I don't like listening to the radio because of the abundance of
commercials.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 751 of 844
01 March 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
The past couple of weeks have been so refreshing. I haven't been intensively studying
Korean, but I have been reading more, studying some vocabulary, and watching quite a
bit of Korean dramas, trying to watch as many as I can before returning to the working
and school life.

I have been evaluating my study plans and I have found out that the more complex that I
try to make my studying system, the less I actually study, even if it is more
'efficient'. For example, I feel like that I learned a lot of Mandarin and Japanese in
the first 5-6 weeks of this year through intensive studying, but I was only involved
with the language for short, intense bursts throughout the day. That works for me in
every other subject, but for some reason doesn't work with languages for me. I have
been doing low intensity learning with Korean, but spread over more hours. For example,
when intensively reading, I just look up the words and move on instead of forcing them
into my short term memory. I've been reading that we really can't control what goes in
our long term memory, so I've stopped worrying about it. For grammar, I tried making
SRS cards out of them, but it takes 5 minutes to type out one sentence, the English
translation, and all of the information about the grammar point. In that five minutes,
I can read out loud dozens of example sentences, which I also find pretty helpful.

So I have the "read as much as possible and listen as much as possible", but I need to
try output as much as possible. So by taking Tarko's advice, I'll focus on writing for
now, writing as much as I can without worrying about being perfect. I think that I'll
be able to self-correct the common mistakes in the short-term and will seek help via
Lang 8 in the future for any problems and style issues that persist. Seeing as how my
output skills are drastically below my input skills, I think I'll just focus on the
volume of output for now, self-correcting along the way.

I have a Wordpress blog here that I'll use
as a Korean-only blog, keeping this journal all in English so that others who don't
know Korean can find any useful information from my log.

Edited by The Real CZ on 01 March 2014 at 11:02am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 752 of 844
01 March 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
So by taking Tarko's advice, I'll focus on writing for
now, writing as much as I can without worrying about being perfect.

Wasn't that supposed to be the point of the other blog we were using that you kept
abandoning? ㅋㅋㅋ

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version