Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 98 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 777 of 844
11 June 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Here's my HTLAL Twitter
account.
I have been using it more lately and tweeting with Warp a lot, so if any other
reader with a Twitter account wishes to tweet with me, feel free to. I enjoy tweeting with
Warp not just because we tend to have a lot in common, but I don't feel any pressure to
have grammatically perfect tweets, which leads me to tweet more.

Personally, I'm ecstatic that you've gone back to using that account again, partly as it
makes my weekly Korean writing goal a complete non-issue. My goal, which was
intentionally set low, is 2 posts per week (of any length), yet I frequently have issues finding
time to come up with something to post. This week, though, it's only Tuesday and I've
already made 5 posts in Korean just from replying to posts you've made.

Edited by Warp3 on 11 June 2014 at 3:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 778 of 844
12 June 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
Here's my
HTLAL Twitter
account.
I have been using it more lately and tweeting with Warp a lot, so if any
other
reader with a Twitter account wishes to tweet with me, feel free to. I enjoy tweeting
with
Warp not just because we tend to have a lot in common, but I don't feel any pressure to
have grammatically perfect tweets, which leads me to tweet more.

Personally, I'm ecstatic that you've gone back to using that account again, partly as
it
makes my weekly Korean writing goal a complete non-issue. My goal, which was
intentionally set low, is 2 posts per week (of any length), yet I frequently have
issues finding
time to come up with something to post. This week, though, it's only Tuesday and I've
already made 5 posts in Korean just from replying to posts you've made.

That's how I feel when I'm trying to practice structures in my head and writing blog
posts. I honestly just try to make it a habit to think in one thought in a foreign
language at a given time and continue to build from there. Even if the thought is
simple like "한예슬은 너무 섹시하기 그지없어," I'm still getting used to some structures I
don't use often.

-----

Anyway, until June 21st, I'll barely be doing any language studying. I have an exam in
my accounting due tomorrow (but I plan on taking it tonight) and a comprehensive final
due on the 20th (but plan on taking it earlier.)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 779 of 844
16 June 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I have been tweeting more in my languages and I think it helping, especially for
Japanese. I am now a believer that the 100% input methods are ineffective. I used to
believe that all I needed to do was to keep getting input and I understand Japanese
decently but I could hardly produce anything until a couple of weeks ago.

As of now, I am reading sentences out loud from my textbooks and working to use the
structures more often. Instead of doing the "do one lesson until it's drilled into my
memory", I have grouped several lessons together and will go through them once and then
go through any lessons (or parts of lessons) giving me trouble until I am satisfied
enough to move on. I won't stay on things too long because I am still using Anki for
grammar. I will get some reinforcement from Anki, but it seems like actually using the
stuff helps me more.

I am still thinking of how to make the most out of my blog, which will also be only in
foreign languages. Right now, I am thinking of making regular blog posts like I am, but
I can only do that comfortably in Korean. I think making dialogues like those in
textbooks will really help consolidate my knowledge, especially if I use the new
grammar structures I'm working on.

I haven't tweeted or written in Cantonese for two reasons: I can still only say really
basic stuff like "I am American. I am not Chinese. I don't want [this]." I also most
likely need to learn the Jyutping romanization to input into the computer as I type, as
all the materials I have for Cantonese use the Yale romanization system.

This last bit is just to tally up how many tweets I have so far this month:

Korean: 21
Japanese: 10
Mandarin: 4
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 780 of 844
30 June 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
2014 Midway review

My
goals for 2014 listed on Page 90.

For the most part, I'm doing my best to continue with my languages every day. While I
am not able to watch dramas every day like I used to, I am able to listen to podcasts
while I am at work once the store hours are over. I am being more consistent, but I am
definitely working on a routine that will help me continually improve.

For vocabulary, I tried a few different methods. I tried traditional flashcards in
February for the 6 Week Challenge and tried Anki flashcards in May. For now, I am
simply just reading intensively and looking up the words as I go. I have pop-up
dictionaries for Korean, Japanese and Mandarin, so that's really helpful. I am planning
on trying to read some more comics/manga/webtoons and books, but those will all be
extensive reading with no dictionary look ups. Later on in this post I'll go more into
detail on why I am abandoning the traditional vocabulary acquisition methods that
helped me so far.

For grammar, I was using MCDs for grammar and while they are helpful, they do not help
me produce any sentences. Lately I have been practicing a lot more output through
writing and thinking in the languages. The only real speaking I do at this point is to
read sentences out loud from my textbooks and grammar books.

Earlier in the summer, I had an accounting summer course. For the majority of courses I
have taken throughout university, I only had to passively learn the material in order
to get an A. However, that's just not that smart for accounting. Sure, reading the
textbook and notes while analyzing example problems help, but they do not rival actual
practice and actual testing. I would do a lot of example problems to help make the
problems become second nature, and in doing so, that helped me understand what I was
doing much more than trying to re-read the chapter/section to get any clarification.
It's the same with practice tests. Instead of just re-reading the material, I took the
practice tests to see what I actually knew and what I needed to brush up on. How this
relates to language learning? I had relied on Anki too much, thinking pushing buttons
would help me. It does to an extent, but not to the extent of actual practicing. I
could know vocabulary in isolation in the cards, but draw blanks when reading them in
context. For grammar, I could answer every question right in Anki, but I still couldn't
use most of the structures I was learning.

Therefore, I am going back to intensive and extensive reading. That's like testing
myself all the time while reading without having to push buttons all the time. Reading
a lot of Korean did help improve my vocabulary and grammar, so it's not as if learning
a bunch of flashcards did 100% of the work. Besides, there are still words that I have
learned via Anki that I would forget while trying to read. I am switching my grammar
activities to simply reading out loud a lot of model sentences from my grammar books
and then throughout the day trying to use those structures. I have some unused
notebooks where I will specifically construct sentences using those structures. For
Twitter, my blog, and thinking, I will simply just try to do that as much as possible
for volume of practice and to become more efficient at formulating thoughts over time.

I am still trying to devise a way to attack Chinese characters. I think I will go the
old fashioned way by writing out the characters every day. My book on Chinese
characters groups the characters by radicals and such, so it will be easier to learn
mnemonics, but the actual writing of them will help solidify them in muscle memory.
Since I will be reading a lot, I'll also be learning the characters through actual
words, which should help a lot -- as it already has, since I have forgotten a lot of
mnemonics for characters that I learned through RTK but solidified the meanings through
vocabulary acquisition.

The most important part is the routine and doing this every day. I can't put it 6 hours
a day anymore with work, school and life, but if I remove a lot of useless activities I
do and fill them in with activities that I can do in my languages, I should still put
in plenty of time every day. Especially with thinking in the languages, though hard to
do, is the easiest thing to do every day. I always tend to start off with simple
sentences to get myself in the groove before trying to work on structures that I
recently learned. For example, when I get to work, I'll think something like "I already
want to go home."

For output, my 6 month challenge is to write every single day. On Twitter, that will
just entail of simple one liners or so until I can get into the groove of writing more
complex sentences. Blog posts will usually just be 1-2 paragraphs unless I have more
free time to write longer posts. Below are my HTLAL twitter and my blog where I only
write in foreign languages and forbid the use of English.

HTLAL Twitter
Blog

I have already started writing every day, dating back to June 29 for the blog. I tweet
almost every day on Twitter, but will try to make that a daily thing now. I have had
success in establishing routines in the past such as when I had to exercise every day
in order to join the military. The trick is to simply accept it as something that I
need/want to do every day instead of doing something based on emotion. Therefore I
won't try to get too motivated nor let the "I don't want to do it" excuse pop up.

Lastly, just some stats on how many tweets I had for June in each language.

Korean: 33
Japanese: 15
Mandarin: 10
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 781 of 844
01 July 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I share a lot of your observations about Anki and reading. I have seen benefits from Anki cards that I could convert into solid knowledge even a year after studying them (suddenly it clicked). But the benefits are a lot less immediate than those from reading and it's also just not as interesting. What I need to get the learning process going are just awareness of and curiosity about new words. If I have that, I don't need Anki or goldlists, as long as I get a lot of repetition through native input.

It sounds like your studies are going really well! Congrats on a great first half of the year.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 782 of 844
04 July 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks druckfehler!

I'm still working out this new routine, but I think I have to make some slight changes
along the way. The first is regarding writing every day, especially when it comes to my
blog. Right now, this point in my life is terribly droll (I honestly just study and
work all the time, so it's not like I have much to write about when it comes to a
diary-like blog). I started doing it already, but I'll probably have to link to news
articles and write about the contents in my blog posts. I'll probably try to create
some dialogues while trying to use new vocabulary and grammar structures.

The second thing I need to work on is reading. I enjoy reading, but looking up every
single unknown word gets real old, real fast, so I only end up reading one paragraph of
one article a day...which won't help me in learning new words or retaining very many.
My idea has two components: continue reading, but only hover over the unknown words
that either impede my understanding of the sentence or over the unknown words that
frequently show up. I just want more volume in the amount I read. For the second part,
I'll probably use MCDs in Anki, BUT I won't be testing myself to reproduce the
vocabulary. I'll just use it to help me read. I'll always answer as if I got it correct
while reading the chunk/sentences around the cloze deletion.

Last night I opened up a Word file and started copying/pasting articles into the file.
My plan is to add a card or two from one article and move onto the next one. Of course
I will come back to these old articles and continue adding cards to Anki, but I won't
look up every word and make Anki cards for the whole news article and add them at the
same time. I tried that last year and got extremely bored reading the same article over
and over for weeks. Now I'll probably just be reading certain paragraphs for weeks on
end, but with a lot more variety. I feel like I need to something like this because of
the Chinese characters, because the MCDs will help me that much more in recognizing
them while reading.

This should allow me to read a lot more articles in the future too, since I will mainly
be skimming through the unknown material and moving on.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 783 of 844
09 July 2014 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I will be focusing on input for Japanese and Mandarin. I'm having a real hard time of
trying to write anything in both languages, so I simply need much more input, both
vocabulary and grammar wise. I can say really simple things in both languages, but I
have trouble expressing myself compared to Korean.

Therefore, the majority of my time will be spent of improving my Korean, as it is the
language most important to me. Plus, it's the one I'm at the best at and spend the most
time on anyway.

This is leading me to trying something interesting. I'm thinking of starting several
languages in a passive-only fashion through MCDs. This includes what I will be doing
with Japanese and Mandarin. I figure if I add a couple of cards every day (they'll
mainly be sentences from a textbook) for years at a time before moving onto grammar
books and native news articles for vocabulary expansion, I can have a solid base before
I start actively learning some of these languages.

I find it hard to juggle three active languages (because one is a handful by itself
with a tight schedule that most people on this site have), so I think just going to one
active language at a time from now on will help immensely.

I am trying to think of a variety of languages from different language families to
dabble in. Here's what I'm thinking of adding:

Cantonese (I like some Cantopop songs and love movies from Hong Kong. Plus I had
already dabbled in this language before)
German (I mainly want to learn this for heritage reasons.)
Hebrew (I want to attempt a Middle Eastern language, and I may as well learn the one
from the people who don't want me dead.)
Russian (Just seems interesting and they have a lot of good literature.)
French (Everyone has to learn a romance language, right?)

Again, I would only be adding a 2-3 MCDs cards a day, making it a small daily
commitment, but this should allow me to have a good base in each language when I go to
learning them actively.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 784 of 844
30 July 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I signed up for the 6WC with Cantonese and the other three languages will still
probably get more time in the end. Anyhow, my game plan with Cantonese:

1) Go through Teach Yourself Cantonese, Basic Cantonese and Intermediate Cantonese
doing scriptorium.
2) Repeat the chapters by reading the sentences out loud several times.
3) Work on creating sentences with what I have learned.
4) Put all of the sentences in teach Yourself Cantonese in an MCD deck. I won't finish
this during the 6WC challenge, but I'm hoping to have a few chapters of this done.
5) Learn all of the Chinese characters in Chinese Characters: A Genealogy and
Dictionary. Obviously this will count towards Mandarin time as I will be learning the
Traditional Chinese characters with the Mandarin pronunciation. However, this will help
with all four languages. This is a goal I have for the rest of the year, but I'd like
to get as many as I can done within the 6 Week Challenge. For this, I'm using
traditional paper flashcards and will use massive practice over spaced repetition
because my single-word vocab and MCD decks will reinforce everything I learn. I am
going from character meaning and reading to reproducing the character from memory,
making this active studying instead of passive studying.

I won't be making a vocab and MCD deck for Cantonese yet as I want to focus on getting
the basics down, but I will be doing the same things for the other languages plus what
I'm doing with Anki (Cloze deletion grammar deck, basic vocab deck going from English
to target language and traditional MCD decks.)

I won't really be focusing on vocab for the rest of this year, as I just want to add
some words to keep the momentum going. I'm on my way of completing my main two language
learning goals of the year: learning roughly 4,000 characters and putting all of the
key example sentences from my grammar books into Anki. I figure the foundation in my
languages needs to be much stronger before I go and try to learn a bunch of vocabulary
again.

I became really busy and din't have much time to continue writing on my blog, but I'll
continue doing so in Korean. For Mandarin and Japanese, I really need to focus on
drilling the grammar points and learn how to make sentences. I have a hard time writing
about anything in either language while I can write quite a bit in Korean, so I may as
well continue that.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version