Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 101 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 801 of 844
21 September 2014 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I do like Yura, it's just that I like Sojin and Minah a lot more.

(Languages update in next post).
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 802 of 844
21 September 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Ever since university started back up, I haven't had much time to put into languages
aside from translation work that I do for Soompi. I have put some cards into Anki, but
at a fairly slow pace. I think the main problem is that MCD cards take more effort to
make and review. I will still make them, but use them less often than other kinds of
cards. I will go back to simple vocabulary cards for Japanese and Korean, while
exclusively using MCDs in Mandarin and Cantonese for now.

My plan is to focus on Japanese and Korean while maintaining/slowly learning Mandarin
and Cantonese. I don't have the time to study all four, but I can still learn a decent
amount over the next two years just using Anki.

For grammar, I am going back to making traditional flashcards and reviewing the cards.
Anki is really good for this, but it takes much longer to make the cards. I will try
to go back to using these two languages actively, but probably not for two weeks, as
the next two weeks are very busy for me because of job interviews and such. Basically
I want to use traditional flashcards and create my own sentences. I may incorporate
reading out example sentences for breadth.

The main thing I plan on doing is to get back to translating for my blog and will try
to do 50/50 Korean and Japanese. Seeing how beneficial all of the translating I have
done in Korean has been for my Korean comprehension and output ability, I want to do
this in Japanese as well.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 803 of 844
21 September 2014 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
It is interesting how translating forces you to fill gaps, or even just gray areas, in your
knowledge. For example, often I can get the gist of something well enough but if I have to
explain it to someone I can't as I'm missing too much information to nail down an actual
translation. It's similar to the way I know some words in English well enough to understand
sentences that use them, but wouldn't stand a chance at trying to explain what they meant.

Also to side-step back to the Kojima topic, I'm surprised you aren't following her Twitter
account then. That was actually the first "48" account I followed then I just let it branch
from there (since it immediately started suggesting several other "48" members).
https://twitter.com/kojiharunyan

Edited by Warp3 on 21 September 2014 at 8:18pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 804 of 844
21 September 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it really helps with learning those "I know it but I can't translate it" words and
helps with the grammar. For doing interviews, I find it helps in using more natural
grammar patterns.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 805 of 844
04 October 2014 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
On Wednesday during our last meeting with an accounting firm for the semester, the
accountants were talking about how they became more productive after they started
working, since most of them have only been there for a few years (the more experienced
accountants rarely come, it's mainly the newer accountants that come to help with
recruiting). They were talking about being organized, and goals, especially stretch
goals. I think that's relevant to me this year because at the beginning of the year, I
just said I would try to study every day and didn't make any goals.

I think I am someone who needs some numeric goals and some lofty goals to reach for. A
process alone won't work. I need an efficient process in order to reach goals. This
year has been my worse year for language learning. Yes, I have good "excuses", but I
could still find the time to actually accomplish things. However, I think the ways
goals are made need to be adapted to language learning. I need concrete, measurable
long-term goals to strive for (aside from the vague "be fluent"). Instead of having
medium-term goals and short-term goals, I think I think short-term goals and shorter-
term goals. For example, "Creating and testing myself on 1,000 Chinese Character cards
in three months" would be the short-term goal and the shorter-term goal would be to
make 50 cards and be comfortable with those before moving on.

Another example is my translating site, which I do for fun, but it also helps me learn
a lot, too. I have 37 translations (mainly Korean, but I have around 8-10 Japanese
ones) that I want to translate by the end of the year. However, I work on about 4-5 at
a time per week, so let's see if I can consistently do this.

I also started watching dramas and anime again after not watching them for about a
month. I figured I needed something relaxing to do so that I won't burn out from all
the crap I am currently doing. The only times I truly get breaks are when I'm driving
somewhere and when I'm sleeping.

I'll report in at the end of the month to see how this is working out for me.

Edit: I should mention that I'm continuing with Korean, Japanese and Mandarin. I'll
wait until I'm at a higher level to tackle Cantonese again. In the meantime, I'll try
to find more singers that I like in the Cantopop world.

Edited by The Real CZ on 04 October 2014 at 6:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 806 of 844
08 November 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's been a month, and I have some updates.

In the beginning of October, I added Cantonese and German back to my studies. By the end
of the month, I only had time to stick with Korean and Japanese. The reason is that I
need to study a lot of English grammar for my GMAT exam.

I was studying a lot of vocabulary, but I will be putting a hold on that. From now until
February, I will be focusing solely on grammar/output. I can only focus on one aspect
until my exam is over and this semester is over. Once February rolls around, I should
have more time to spend on languages. I have a 16 hour per week internship next semester
and one online class.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 807 of 844
13 November 2014 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
For Korean learners:

SBS has resumed putting up the scripts for dramas starting with "Secret Door/비밀의 문".

Here is SBS's TV site.

I'm happy because that means "Birth of a Beauty" has scripts, and that means "Jekyll and
Me" should have scripts as well once it airs in January. With my two favorite actresses
having back-to-back SBS dramas, this will give me extra motivation to mine scripts for
both series to learn vocab.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 808 of 844
13 November 2014 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
For Korean learners:

SBS has resumed putting up the scripts for dramas starting with "Secret Door/비밀의 문".

Here is SBS's TV site.

I'm happy because that means "Birth of a Beauty" has scripts, and that means "Jekyll and
Me" should have scripts as well once it airs in January. With my two favorite actresses
having back-to-back SBS dramas, this will give me extra motivation to mine scripts for
both series to learn vocab.

This is great news! I've been hoping they would resume putting up the scripts and checking their site now and then. I don't know about any dramas next year though, they can just as easily stop publishing the scripts at any time... But it's good news for now.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version