Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 113 of 844
30 April 2010 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I've only watched two full episodes of Star Golden Bell, but I have seen clips of other episodes, and in a segment where they had to speak English, Narsha's was so bad that she even threw in some Japanese into her sentence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 114 of 844
30 April 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I recall someone throwing in something that didn't sound either English or Korean, but I wasn't sure what language it was. That must have been it.

FYI (since I know you like these two groups): The very next episode (274) had 4 members from 소녀시대 on it and 2 members from 티아라 (and episode 276, which I've already watched previously, has 5 members from 티아라 on it). Narsha was also present again, so she must be one of the regulars on that show (like a few of the others that are there every episode).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 115 of 844
01 May 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Saw that episode two months ago. SGB is on episode 282, but I don't regularly watch most variety shows.

--

After Tuesday, my summer has basically started. I have a paper due and an exam on Friday, but that class is easy. But yeah, gotta spend little time on languages aside from passive listening this weekend.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 116 of 844
01 May 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
My download source is slightly delayed since the versions I'm watching are actually English-subbed versions (partly because others watch them with me who aren't studying Korean), so my newest available episode of SGB is 280. I wasn't really following any particular variety shows before either, but now I'm kinda hooked on a few of them (including SGB and Happy Together).

{...makes note to self to spend more time watching unsubbed videos as well...}

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 117 of 844
01 May 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
I stopped watching subs all together last month (in both languages.) Yeah, I understand a lot less, but body language and what words I do know help. Besides, I gotta take off the training wheels at some point.

I mainly follow Invincible Youth on a weekly basis, and other variety shows that revolve around a girl group (ex: SNSD's Hello Baby, T-ara dot com, etc.) I used to watch Infinite Challenge, but that was for a couple of months before I stopped. It's a shame I don't have time to watch it, as it is a funny show.

Do you watch the KBS World rips?

If you are watching the shows with friends/family/etc., you can still watch them subbed, but just don't pay attention to the subtitles. I do that with some dramas because my Internet isn't fast enough to DL all of those episodes, so I watch a lot of them streamed.

--

I was talking to a Korean younger than me just a little bit ago. The guy called me 형 and I was surprised. Most Koreans usually talk to me informally, regardless of age, and I got used to it since I'm only half Korean, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Edited by The Real CZ on 01 May 2010 at 4:45am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 118 of 844
01 May 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I stopped watching subs all together last month (in both languages.) Yeah, I understand a lot less, but body language and what words I do know help. Besides, I gotta take off the training wheels at some point.

I agree, but I personally feel I need a serious boost in vocab first before I'll get nearly as much use out of that. Of course, until recently, everything I had was raw video, so I still watch plenty of unsubbed material regardless. {shrug}

On a related note: the English quiz in episode 275 seemed much easier than the one in the other episode. The only two questions I missed are now in my SRS (both had verbs I hadn't come across yet).

Quote:
I mainly follow Invincible Youth on a weekly basis, and other variety shows that revolve around a girl group (ex: SNSD's Hello Baby, T-ara dot com, etc.) I used to watch Infinite Challenge, but that was for a couple of months before I stopped. It's a shame I don't have time to watch it, as it is a funny show.

I watched one episode of Incredible Youth (which is what I assume you meant there) and really liked it (despite not liking reality shows in English at all), but I'm trying to grab some of the older episodes first so I can watch them in order (the episode I saw is where they were washing the dog and building the dog house). Other than that I've been regularly watching Star Golden Bell, Happy Together, and Sketchbook. Those four shows are subbed and I watch Music Bank, Music Core, and Inkigayo raw. I have a few episodes of some other shows that are unsubbed, but I haven't actually started in on them yet.

Quote:
Do you watch the KBS World rips?

I'm not really sure. I get most of those videos from the same site, but the actual original sources seem to be quite varied. A few of them do have the KBS World logo on them, though.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 119 of 844
02 May 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
If you do want to watch 청춘불패, Soshified has the first 24 episodes (gotta register and post 50 times for subbed videos.) I used to watch the RAW and then the subbed version a few weeks later, but with me watching a lot more shows and watching RAWs only, I stopped watching the subbed versions. I think you can stream the videos without an account, but streaming on their videos is slooooooooooooow.

About the vocab thing, don't sweat it. At best, my passive vocab was around 1500-2000, and a lot of those words I didn't know well. Besides, at our level, it is much easier to learn vocab from reading. I probably pick up a new word or two per episode, understand a couple complete sentences, and understand parts of other sentences, and not understanding 60% of the dialogue at all (but again, body language, tone of voice, etc.) help.

--

I got my order from HanBooks today and I'm happy. I got SNSD's Run Devil Run CD (it wasn't on iTunes, but the picture booklet is worth it lol) along with The Vine Yard Man (the book, not the drama series) and Kim Yuna's 7 Minute Drama.

--

I'm still continuing my idea of reading books without a dictionary and write down the words that appear multiple times and find a sentence on an online dictionary to put in the SRS. I also started copying/pasting articles from Newsen(a news site on Korean entertainment) into Word for later use. I saved quite a few articles already, and I'm putting each sentence into Anki. It helps since most of these articles are 5-10 sentences and it really helps understanding the whole article after I'm done. Sure I may have to put 6+ words in the answer side of the card, but it's working. My goal for the summer is to read through the 5 Korean books I have at least once without a dictionary, just writing down the frequent words. I'm aiming for better comprehension of the book by the time I get to the end of it.

As for grammar, once my vacation starts when I have more time, I'll be SRSing my grammar book, putting a sentence from each grammar point into it.

Edited by The Real CZ on 02 May 2010 at 2:14am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 120 of 844
02 May 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
If you do want to watch 청춘불패

Huh? I don't recognize that title?

The Real CZ wrote:
I got SNSD's Run Devil Run CD (it wasn't on iTunes, but the picture booklet is worth it lol)

I got my copy a while back. It was a welcome surprise that RDR comes in a DVD keeper case rather than the oversized booklet with a CD inside method that the original "Oh!" release and "Kara's Lupin" mini-album use. They also changed the "pack-in" perk from a photo card (Oh!) to a poster (RDR).

BTW, you mentioned books. I've been meaning to order a few of the bilingual books from Hanbooks, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version