Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 129 of 844
11 May 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I read a post on allkpop that there will be some cast changes to Invincible Youth, but no word on whether they are permanent, because 4minute and KARA are having promotions in Japan, and I expect SNSD and T-ara also will have promotions over there too.

That said, yesterday.....had a backlog of SRS reviews, since I didn't do them for 4 days. Had work in between the 4 days, so that's my excuse.

Still continuing on with my plans stated within the past few pages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 130 of 844
11 May 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I read something the other day about KARA preparing to leave for Japan. Didn't realize that other groups were heading there soon as well, though.

Your mention of T-ARA and 4minute reminds me of something else, though. I was very surprised to learn who the group leaders were for those two groups (both of which I only found out recently and both times from watching Star Golden Bell, oddly enough). Usually it is quite obvious who the leader of a group is simply by watching the stage performances. For example, it wasn't really a surprise that 태연 and 규리 were the leaders of SNSD and KARA, respectively. However, I had always assumed that 효민 was the group leader of T-ARA and that 현아 led 4minute, so I was quite surprised to find that both those assumptions were false. (Of course, I've always personally thought that it was a sign of a good leader if it *wasn't* completely obvious who the group leader was during stage performances, so maybe that is actually a good thing.)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 131 of 844
12 May 2010 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Hyomin is one of the more popular members, and HyunA is an ex-Wonder Girl, that's why all the attention is on her. I do think it's surprising in my opinion that Gyuri is the leader. Maybe it's the lack of a major vocal powerhouse in Kara (I read that their main vocalist left in 2008) or something.

4minute released a Japanese version of Muzik a few days ago. SNSD ended their promotions for "overseas" (99% of the time Japanese) promotions, and T-ara has had some activities in Japan, and in my opinion, a foray into the Japanese market is inevitable.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 132 of 844
12 May 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
카라 was originally a 4 member group and the one that left (김성희) was, indeed, the lead vocalist (though 규리 was still the group leader then). When they re-emerged as a 5 member group (adding 하라 and 지영), 승연 took over the lead vocalist title (though I have noticed that 규리 and 니콜 have been taking on much more notable vocal parts in recent songs).

If you've heard the singles "Break It," "If You Wanna," or "Secret World" those were all "early 카라" songs.

BTW, it wasn't really the "vocals" I meant as my reason for assuming group leaders, but rather stage presence. It's obvious (at least from earlier songs) that 규리 isn't the lead vocalist, but she did still come across (in my opinion, anyway) as being the group leader.

Edited by Warp3 on 12 May 2010 at 4:46pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 133 of 844
12 May 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
I've just noticed a trend that usually the most talented one of the group is usually the leader. Like Eunjung, she can do everything: dancer, rapper, 2nd lead vocalist, (act), etc.

I still have yet to listen to the older Kara songs. The oldest one I've listened to is Rock U, and I love that song because of Epik High. (Seriously, youtube 'Epik High Rock U', it's hilarious.)
--

I think I'm slowly understanding more of what they say in dramas. I think relaxing and not trying to understand the words you already know when you hear them helps. I used to do that, and then it got in the way of hearing the rest of the sentence.

For Japanese, since I put a halt on just about everything but kanji and watching shows, I'm just picking up words and phrases here and there, but I think by the end of the month, I'll be done with RTK 1 at the pace I'm going now.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 134 of 844
12 May 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
In many groups, it seems to simply be the oldest member (though that's obviously not the case with T-ARA).

I didn't really like the "classic 카라" at first (probably since I was introduced to the "new 카라" first), but several of the earlier songs have really started to grow on me (including a few songs that weren't performed, like 우리 둘). Rock U was actually the first single that 카라 released when they re-emerged as a 5-person group ("Honey" was their latest song when I first heard of them).

Epik High + Rock U...yeah, I can see how that combo would be interesting. Oh that reminds me. I just read the other day that 소녀시대의 self-titled song is actually a remake of an older song (of the same name) by a male singer (이승철). o_O

BTW, I actually watched an unsubbed K-drama last night (the first episode of "Personal Preference"/"Personal Taste") and it was...different. I've watched unsubbed shows before, but those were mostly music shows or variety shows, not dramas, so the dialog type was quite different. Subbed versions are available for that show as well, so I'm considering watching each episode unsubbed first then rewatching them subbed, though I'm not sure that wouldn't bore me to death watching each episode twice.

Edited by Warp3 on 12 May 2010 at 11:30pm

aerielle
Korea, South
korea.calliston
Joined 5091 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 135 of 844
13 May 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Subbed versions are available for that show as well, so I'm considering watching
each episode unsubbed first then rewatching them subbed, though I'm not sure that
wouldn't bore me to death watching each episode twice.

I did something similar when I was studying Japanese, but I haven't done anything like
that with Korean yet. Instead of watching the whole thing twice, you might just want to
watch the bits you didn't understand well. :)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 136 of 844
13 May 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
(Seriously, youtube 'Epik High Rock U', it's hilarious.)

Yeah, that performance was very odd, to say the least. I'm not quite sure what possessed them to try to sing it in the same octave as the original (which was obviously well beyond their vocal range...hehe).

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version