Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 225 of 844
25 August 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I read a lot in both languages and for Korean, I read some Newsen articles and for a lot of the unknown words, I had to use the Korean definition, which meant I had to make 3-4 more new cards just to learn what the definition meant. As for the SRS, I need to start clicking "good" more often so I don't spend 45 minutes every morning reviewing 6 decks.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 226 of 844
01 September 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
A little behind on the SRS, but that should be caught up tomorrow. Did a lot of reading today because at my first college, the computer lab was full after noon, and at the second college I go to, they closed the damn computer lab, and it's only open for an hour...

Came home and watched some stuff about Kara and SNSD on Japanese TV shows. Can't wait for Sunday. HaHaMong show will be doing their "Mom" concept with T-ara (HaHa is a big fan of Eunjung, so I knew it was gonna happen eventually.) Heroes looks to be really good again next week, and Running Man, while a super hot chick isn't guesting Sunday, Kim Su Ro will be on there and he's hilarious.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 227 of 844
01 September 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I've watched a little of the Kara / SNSD Japanese stuff (and have some for 4minute but haven't watched it yet) out of curiousity. I've got to cut that out, though, since I don't have time to add Japanese to my language lineup...ㅋㅋㅋ

One thing I've started doing in the past week or so, that I wish I had started doing previously, is keeping a notebook and pen handy when watching Korean TV. When a word (or a Hanja character) repeatedly appears (in song lyrics, in on-screen variety show text, etc.) that I don't already know, I'll write it down (I rarely write anything down unless I've seen it multiple times that same evening and even then I'm writing down far more than I expected). Then later, I use daum.net's dictionary to look several of them up and figure out what they mean. I then use the dictionary's example sentences to add them to my SRS (which often leads to learning yet another word, though I try to keep the new information per sentence to a minimum). LSK is great for grammar, but this is proving to be much more efficient for vocabulary (which I sorely lack).

Doing this also pointed out to me how poor my Hangul / Hanja handwriting was. I can already see some improvement in my Korean handwriting (both legibility and speed) just from writing a few words down each evening.

Oh, I almost forgot...the "Invincible Youth Goes to Japan" episodes gave me several new words including the Hanja for 청춘불패 since several signs had the show name written in Japanese as 靑春不敗.

Edited by Warp3 on 01 September 2010 at 5:55pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 228 of 844
01 September 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Back in March/April, I was doing the same thing, writing down any new word I heard in a drama. But it's just not for me. Watching TV is supposed to be relaxing and trying to figure stuff out, so that's why I stopped doing it (and I learn a lot more words reading anyway.)

For SRS sentences, that's my goal, hoping to learn 1-2 more words per sentence in addition to the one I'm looking up. Though, yeah, if it has 4+ words you don't know, you'll fail it a lot (been there, done that.) My kanji/hanja handwriting sucks because I never practice. My hangeul is fine since I have nice handwriting for a dude, so I can read it fine.

Warp, if you ever want to ease your way into reading native only materials, go to a site like Newsen. It's short articles on music, dramas, movies, etc. If you mine those for vocab, it'll be helpful for understanding entertainment terms in general. (Obviously, they use common vocab too.)

--

Oh yeah, partially because of Newsen artcles, I've slowly had to start looking up words in Naver's Korean dictionary, though I'll only add a sentence if I understand the Korean definition (or only if I have to look up 1-2 words.) I don't care about what's better (KOR>ENG;KOR>KOR), but the Korean to Korean is helpful for when the translation isn't very good/clear/doesn't exist.

Edited by The Real CZ on 01 September 2010 at 6:04pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 229 of 844
03 September 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Initially it did feel like I was turning fun into work, since I felt obligated to at least write down a few words per show. However, once I got a decent queue of words built up in my notebook (since I do the lookups/SRS portion as a completely separate step...almost never the same day), it became much more relaxing since I now only write down a word if it *really* bugs me that I keep seeing and/or hearing it. In other words, it would probably annoy me more if I *didn't* write those particular words down...hehe :) (In fact, some of those words turned out to be common enough that learning them made it *more* pleasant to watch Korean TV since I actually understood them after that point.)

The only Hanja character I really get much written practice with is 千, because I abbreviate "Challenge 1000 Songs" as C千S in my notebook (I note the source show in parenthesis when I write down a word to help me remember the context when I go to look it up later).

I checked out Newsen when you first posted about it, and still have it bookmarked, but don't really check it regularly. I need to go back, though, since my grammar and vocab have ramped *way* up since my last visit to that site.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 230 of 844
04 September 2010 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
The grammar on Newsen isn't hard, the less common grammar is used a lot more in books, so it's mainly vocab that's the issue there. (Sometimes I have to look up >50% of the words, but I know it's worth it in the end.)

Today, my dad hogged the computer all morning, so I read a little bit, then I had to do other crap and just watched My Girlfriend is a Gumiho episode 8 two hours ago. There was no Invincible Youth today, so that made me sad. Oh well, there's always Khuntoria to watch tomorrow on We Got Married.

I didn't do SRS reviews yesterday, I didn't do them this morning (talking to a friend on Windows Live,) so I'll probably do some tonight after I watch Nobuta wo Produce.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 231 of 844
06 September 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I added 100 new cards to my Korean SRS, words coming from Epik High's lyrics. I could probably spend a month learning vocab from rap alone. I haven't learned much kanji in the past week, so this week I'm going to rectify that. (I have about 800 or so to go in RTK, counting the 150 that are suspended.) Yesterday, Running Man, HaHaMong Show, and Heroes all had good episodes, so I was happy (and HHMS was about T-ara, so that's a huge plus.)

Finally, my Korean SRS deck has more cards than my Kanji deck.

Tried reading a news article on Naver that wasn't about entertainment and my face was basically this: O_O. Hardly understood a word.

Finished Nobuta wo Produce, and since Toda Erika (she was a secondary main character in Nobuta wo Produce) is hot, I started watching Liar Game. Aside from that, everything is going good, except I know I won't reach the unrealistic goals that I set out for in July, but I'll still try my hardest to do it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 232 of 844
06 September 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Tried reading a news article on Naver that wasn't about entertainment and my face was basically this: O_O. Hardly understood a word.

I've run into something like that as well. I'm getting vastly better at the vocab that appears commonly in conversation, that appears on screen on Korean TV, or that appears commonly in song lyrics, which is making texts of that type much easier to read (and audio with those words much easier to grasp). However, the other day I tried reading the first chapter of 어린 왕자 (The Little Prince) and knew surprisingly few words until I got to the dialog parts. Even the dialogs might have been trickier had I not already learned words like 그리다 (to draw) and 양 (sheep), which are used quite heavily in the opening dialog. There is nothing quite like being uber-proud of your progress only to be quickly bested by a children's book...hehe

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version