Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 281 of 844
20 October 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
They do have options like on Cyworld, but they're really cumbersome. I tried the foreigner registration on Cyworld before it pissed me off enough and a Korean girl did it for me, since Korean phone numbers and addresses were needed to complete the form.

--

I also translated my first song, but one line made no sense to me (Koreans need to start putting spaces when they type...) Anyway, it was Co-Ed's Bbiribbom Bbaeribbom, and I posted it on Soompi. (Another edit): I also translated Rainbow's "Mach" and Co-Ed's "Loving You a Thousand Times," and after that, I gotta give subbers some slack. Korean just doesn't make as much sense when translating to English, because a lot of the meaning is lost.

--

Anyway, SNSD, T-ara, Kara, and Outsider are all having comebacks soon. Damn you upcoming finals, damn you. And T-ara (fav girl group) is getting another reality show.

Edited by The Real CZ on 21 October 2010 at 1:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 282 of 844
23 October 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I'm really enjoying translating the Kpop songs on Soompi. I even have my lyrics featured on YouTube. It's a nice feeling (though, what's not nice is that I had a typo...) I translated Outsider's title song, and my God, that song was looooong, but fun to translate. I probably learned 20 new words because of it, and it helps me know what grammar points I need to (re)learn brush up on. I've read through my grammar book twice and it has 600 items, but I know the basics and the ones in my SRS.

I have a shitload of SRS reviews piled up, and I haven't learned added many cards, so I'm not posting my SRS deck stats this week. Gonna watch Invincible Youth, Tsuki no Koibito (if I was learning Mandarin, this would be a good drama, since one of the main characters is a Taiwanese actress...and freaking hot.) I started watching this because I became a fan of Matsuda Shota in Liar Game, but he got shafted in this series.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 283 of 844
25 October 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
I gotta interrupt my progress. My SRS deck keeps getting backloaded, and right now, it's at 900 cards, even though I review 600 cards a day and click "good" for 95% of the cards. Until I get it down to 0, I won't add any new cards (maybe 2-3 days.) Then after that, focus on all of the suspended cards before adding brand new cards. But this is my last post for two weeks or so. Too much homework, too many Kpop comebacks, T-ara's new variety show, etc.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 284 of 844
25 October 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Anyway, it was Co-Ed's Bbiribbom Bbaeribbom

This song hasn't really grown on me yet (though I've only heard it once so far), but their debut single "Too Late" is quite thoroughly stuck in my head (as is Miss A's "Breathe"). It was interesting to see the cameo from 티아라의 은정 in the MV for 삐리뽐 빼리뽐, though.

The Real CZ wrote:
...and after that, I gotta give subbers some slack. Korean just doesn't make as much sense when translating to English, because a lot of the meaning is lost.

Agreed. Several times I've tried to translate a word, phrase, or sentence for someone only to end up giving a short culture lesson as the sentence loses too much meaning otherwise.

The Real CZ wrote:
I translated Outsider's title song, and my God, that song was looooong, but fun to translate. I probably learned 20 new words because of it, and it helps me know what grammar points I need to (re)learn brush up on. I've read through my grammar book twice and it has 600 items, but I know the basics and the ones in my SRS.

I need to get back to doing translation practice with song lyrics (translate a song, using a dictionary if needed, then compare to an existing translated copy and see what is different and find out why). I was doing a good bit of it early on, but struggled too much with it. I should be able to make a much better run at it now.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 285 of 844
25 October 2010 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
If you go back to doing translating, I suggest 3 things: a Eng-Kor dic, a Kor-Kor dic, and a grammar reference. The dictionaries can be online (obviously, less cumbersome.) I've come across a lot of words lately where I can only find the Kor-Kor definition, and sometimes I can even find a Kor-Kor definition and have to search for the meaning of a phrase/word on Naver.

--

I love Co-Ed. They're my rookies of the year, easily. miss A was, but I don't like Breathe that much. (Plus, Chanmi is a much better singer than any of the girls in miss A.) SNSD's "Hoot," came out, Girls' Day is supposed to release a new song on the 29th with a revamped member group (one of the new members, Yura, is OMG hot. And those legs.) 2NE1 is supposed to release a followup track on the 31st. 2AM is also releasing new music, and they're one of the few male idol bands I can listen to. So, those 4, plus miss A, Co-Ed, Supreme Team, and Outsider...and T-ara comes back in November. And they have a new reality show starting on Wednesday. Plus, I have a lot of HW for the next two weeks, so after I finish my paper for English (I'm actually determined to do most of it this weekend,) I can go back to language learning.

Edited by The Real CZ on 25 October 2010 at 8:37pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 286 of 844
01 November 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Even though I'm still behind on my SRS reviews (1100+), I've been watching shows in both languages every day to "keep in touch" with them, along with music. And Kara's Jumping is addicting (and Nicole has a nice ass.) I'll be getting my English paper done sometime tomorrow (I'm on page 3 of 8. I'll be doing some of it during my stupid diversity class.) Then on Wednesday, with a giant weight off of my chest, I'll spend that day catching up on the SRS and failing a bunch of cards, then for the rest of the week, I'll be working on relearning the suspended cards, then starting the smaller papers I have for the rest of the semester. The one thing I haven't been doing that much is reading (it's more important for Japanese that I read a lot.)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 287 of 844
01 November 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
And Kara's Jumping is addicting

Is that the song they were talking about that was going to be the first Japanese-market Kara song that wasn't a remake of an existing Korean single? I wonder if they plan to convert that back to Korean at some point (perhaps included on the next Korean album).

Regardless, I'm sure I'll download it anyway, like I did several of the other Kara, SNSD, and 4minute Japanese performances. Officially, it is for "future use" for when I start on Japanese, though these groups seem to be trying their best to rush that date for me.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 288 of 844
02 November 2010 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
I think Jumping is originally a Korean song, just released in Japan first. I'm not entirely sure, though. Also, 2NE1, T-ara, BEAST, and 2PM are debuting in Japan.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version