Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 321 of 844
26 November 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
It's just typical Japanese anyone can learn in 5 minutes. It's especially easy for Koreans since they only need to change words instead of words + train of thought. Only SNSD's Sooyoung from what I've heard can speak Japanese well. The other Korean artists (excluding the ones that have been in Japan for years) can speak passable Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 322 of 844
26 November 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I'd heard that 수영 spoke Japanese well (it was referenced in one of the SGB episodes), but I haven't heard her speak it.

I did note that 구하라 seemed to use quite a bit more Japanese than most of the other cast members on the IY 2-part Japan special, but, again, since I don't know Japanese, I don't have a clue whether she was any good at it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 323 of 844
26 November 2010 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Seungyeon and Gyuri are the best at Japanese within the group.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 324 of 844
27 November 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm determined to catch up with my SRS today. I've been reviewing everyday, but not finishing it, so my Korean deck ballooned up with a lot of cards. I even promised myself I won't watch Keizoku 2: SPEC until I finish my SRS reviews. It has Toda Erika in it, the hottest Japanese girl in my eyes, so that's always good motivation.

Last night and this morning I did a lot of mining for Japanese sentences, mainly using words from Amuro Namie's songs. I think I have around 80 sentences that I'll be putting in the SRS within the next two weeks or so.

The new thing I'm doing with my SRS is suspending cards right away if I don't know them, to make SRSing a bit less tedious. Then I'll go back and relearn the suspended cards. Makes SRSing faster. Though, it'll probably be January before I get through all of the suspended cards, since the semester doesn't end until the 17th for me.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 325 of 844
03 December 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
I'm alive. Just been busy fanboying over T-ara and finishing up the semester.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 326 of 844
03 December 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
My skills are all over the place, with my passive abilities being far above my active skills.

Easy answer: Live with my Korean mom (as I live with my white dad in the U.S.)

Hard answer:

1. Learn Korean by itself.

2. Pick 1 course and stick with it. Personally, I really like Elementary Korean and Continuing Korean. Also a good grammar book, I like Korean Grammar For International Learners.

3. Go through the courses, adding one to two sentence from each grammar section into an SRS program like Anki. Also, find example sentences for every vocab word listed in Elementary Korean and Continuing Korean and add it to the SRS.

4. Watch Korean dramas, variety shows, and movies unsubbed. I watched them subbed for a year and it hurt my progress.

5. Learn as much vocab as you possibly can. It'll pay off.

6. Read native books and websites. I put this off for so long.

7. Use Shared Talk. Great site. Also Lang 8.

8. If you know Korean in real life, try to become friends with them.

9. Watch a lot of stuff in Korean, read a lot in Korean, chat a lot in Korean (whether by text and/or talking), and write a lot in Korean.

10. Try to do something every day.

When I first started learning Korean, I think all I did was learn hangeul, and learn some basic phrases. I had a huge gap in between learning hangeul and learning phrases. I was watching too many Korean dramas (subbed, too,) so I was getting nowhere except seeing hot Korean girls on TV. I also got into Kpop a lot, as you can tell. Anyway, I came to this site and read a lot of advice and most of it was detrimental to me. A lot of people suggest using multiple courses. So, I was rehashing beginner material after beginner material and spent nearly a calendar year on just beginner material (mind you, I also didn't study every day.) Splitting time with Japanese didn't help either.

So, if I could go back, I'd tell my past self and say "stop being a p*ssy and learn." Honestly, if I had a lot of free time, I would have learned roughly 1,000 words in ten 10 days. For listening, listen to the CDs the books come with to learn how to differentiate the sounds. Then watch a lot of Korean content and tune my ears to the language.

I would have also taken more advantage of Lang-8 and Shared Talk. I used them, but I've become busier than usual, so I haven't chatted with my Korean friends as much. For speaking, just copying actors/actresses from dramas and films, rappers, and singing along would all help different aspects of speaking. If I had Koreans around where I live, that'd be even more useful, but even at college, nearly all of the Asian students are Chinese.

Also, good dictionaries are a must. Naver, Yahoo Korea, and Daum have good electronic ones. As you get further into your studies, less words have English definitions in them, so you'll also need to learn words Korean --> Korean.

tl;dr: Put a lot more effort in the beginning, learn basic words rapidly, heavily rely on the SRS in the beginning, surround self with a lot of Korean content early on, everything unsubbed, work on output as much as possible, get it corrected by natives, chat with Koreans either in person or online, and don't be afraid of using a dictionary.

I also think hanja is unnecessary. Since I'm learning Japanese, I already know a lot of the hanja, but I haven't used it to help me learn Korean except for a word or two.

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 327 of 844
07 December 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Now that my paper is done, I can go back to stuff I like it. Studying for my other finals won't take me long, so I'm not too worried about it.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 328 of 844
08 December 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to import Tales of Graces F for the PS3. Importing video games was one of the main reasons I started learning Japanese. Now, with a game I want really bad and has practically no chance of being localized (f**k you Namco-Bandai,) I need to improve my Japanese quickly. Thank God my (3 week >.>) Christmas break is coming up, so I'll probably be insane and learn as much vocab as possible. Probably be spending 2 hours on Anki a day lol.

Edit: Read the news this morning that Invincible Youth filmed its last episode on December 8th. Makes me sad. I knew the end was coming, but it still makes me sad.

Edited by The Real CZ on 08 December 2010 at 5:31pm

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version