Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 385 of 844
18 February 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I was starting to wonder if you were still alive over there. Guess exams had you all tied up.

I just downloaded the MV for IU's new song today. I had read that 가희 finally released her solo album, but haven't heard anything from it yet. Yeah, Secret has definitely been cleaning up lately. IIRC, this is the first single they've had to hit #1 on any of the music shows (I think #3 was the record for both Magic and Madonna on Music Bank's K-Chart).

On the "music" topic, I placed a fairly large order (9 CDs + 1 DVD) from YesAsia recently (I hadn't ordered in a while so I had some expensive catching up to do). The second shipment (of 3) arrived today (some were notably back ordered so I opted for split shipping), leaving only one CD on backorder. The first shipment included the T-ara - Temptastic album which is absolutely huge! It's actually larger (in all 3 dimensions) than the composition notebooks I use for studying Korean...o_O

I've mostly been just plowing through various Korean shows (including several lunar new year specials) and transferring all my Gold List data to Anki (which I finally finished yesterday, so I can go back to adding items from Korean TV again).
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 386 of 844
19 February 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I had a finance exam, and I had to spend quite a bit of time studying for that one. The other two were easier. I have another exam Tuesday, but it'll take me 10-15 minutes to take it, so I'm not too worried about it. Slowed down on everything Korean, but still watched shows in Korean.

Also watched The Man From Nowhere earlier. You gotta watch it. It's f**king awesome.

I'm still debating on whether to buy Temptastic by CD or download through iTunes. There's a $10 difference, but the booklet looks awesome and T-ara is my favorite girl group. I'll probably get it with IU's Real and Real+ album (I'm a bit ticked off that it's not a real repackaged album, but a separate album.)

On the vocab, I'm over the 1,000 new words that I'm "acquainted with." I'll start soon looking through old lists. It is getting easier and I'm understanding the entertainment articles a lot easier now.

For the Lunar specials, nothing caught my eye this year. I watched clips of shows that had T-ara in it, and part one of the Idol Olympics (Rainbow + swimsuits = me extremely happy.) Never bothered with part 2. Part 1 was 80% male idols, so I didn't really give a crap.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 387 of 844
19 February 2011 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Also watched The Man From Nowhere earlier. You gotta watch it. It's f**king awesome.

Hmmm...I'll have to check that out. Is it a movie, series, or what?

Quote:
I'm still debating on whether to buy Temptastic by CD or download through iTunes. There's a $10 difference, but the booklet looks awesome and T-ara is my favorite girl group. I'll probably get it with IU's Real and Real+ album (I'm a bit ticked off that it's not a real repackaged album, but a separate album.)

I didn't know iTunes had it. I did see a note on Kpopella the other day that Soribada (a Korean music download site) has an English site now, though. They also noted that Soribada purchases count toward both Inkigayo's and Music Bank's music charts.

That said, I still prefer the physical versions for one big reason...official lyrics. I've run across incorrect lyrics online too often to trust them, so I prefer to have an "official" copy available (especially when I'm learning a language). Of course, the photo booklets don't hurt either, but they are just an extra perk...lol

The photo/lyric book is definitely the reason for the sheer size of the Temptastic album. In fact it isn't really an album with a booklet inside (like their first album and like most other albums), but rather a hardcover photo book with a CD inside.

Ahhh...*that* explains why they showed the album name "Real" on the music video, but that song isn't on the CD (IU - Real was one of the CDs I recently bought). I'm not horribly fond of the new song, though, so I'll probably just skip the "Real+" album.

Quote:
For the Lunar specials, nothing caught my eye this year. I watched clips of shows that had T-ara in it, and part one of the Idol Olympics (Rainbow + swimsuits = me extremely happy.) Never bothered with part 2. Part 1 was 80% male idols, so I didn't really give a crap.

The women's swimming competition was in Part 2, if that changes your mind. ;)

On that note, I'm still confused by the whole "Rainbow Synchronized Swimming" controversy I read about the other day. The quotes made it sound like they had aired the thing and viewers complained that it was too revealing. If that's the case, are they referring to the horribly truncated clip that was in part 1 of the athletic competition show or did they actually air the full performance elsewhere (because there was nothing more in part 2 from it).

I downloaded several of the LNY specials, but the main ones I was interested in was the Star Dance Battle and the Idol Star Athletic / Swimming competition.

The Real CZ wrote:
2 singles from 5dolls

It wasn't until earlier this evening that I even knew who this was. So Coed School is 11 members now with a 5-girl subgroup, eh? Interesting.

Edited by Warp3 on 19 February 2011 at 6:08am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 388 of 844
26 February 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
Yeah, it's a movie with Won Bin.

I started DLing music. I'll buy the albums (for the groups I like) because YesAsia is too slow for my liking, and Han Books hasn't gotten a new Kpop album in 6 months (and it's only for the popular groups.)

Tried translating an article. Crap is harder than I thought. I understand it in Korean, but trying to make sentences make sense in English takes up 75% of the time spent translating.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 389 of 844
27 February 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I started DLing music. I'll buy the albums (for the groups I like) because YesAsia is too slow for my liking, and Han Books hasn't gotten a new Kpop album in 6 months (and it's only for the popular groups.)

That's pretty much how I am. In fact, I only had to rip 2 of the 9 CDs from my last YesAsia order to MP3 as I already had the rest in digital format.

I agree that HanBooks takes way too long to add new CDs plus their artist selection is far too limited (for example, of the 6 artists that made up my last YesAsia order only *1* has CDs listed on HanBooks). I have ordered several books from there, though (in fact I just received an order of books from them last week).

Quote:
Tried translating an article. Crap is harder than I thought. I understand it in Korean, but trying to make sentences make sense in English takes up 75% of the time spent translating.

I know exactly what you mean. Very often I find that it is far easier to understand a sentence than it is to translate it into English. The phrase "I know what it means, but don't know how to easily word it in English." has left my mouth several times in the past.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 390 of 844
28 February 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
It was much tougher than translating a song. Songs have funky grammar, but at least they don't have sentences that are super long. I guess there is no such thing as a run-on sentence in Korean.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 391 of 844
08 March 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, haven't been studying that much lately. Been playing video games. I'll still learn new words and chat to Koreans, but I've given up on native fluency unless I actually live in Korea. Basic fluency is all I'm really shooting for now. Just being comfortable enough to use it well. Looking ahead, I'll have a lot of crap taking away time from learning Korean a lot anyway.

Loving Jieun's new song. Easily one of the best main vocalists in a Kpop girl group.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 392 of 844
09 March 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Other than continued music/tv exposure and vocab loading, the only new thing I've started is reading "Using Korean". I've read glowing reviews of it at several places (including this forum), but despite that preconceived notion it is still impressing me. I've only finished the first two chapters (which cover conjugation levels, honorifics, humble forms, titles, forms of address, etc.) and have had several "light bulb" moments already (some from topics I thought I already thoroughly knew).

I was aware that 지은's new song was out, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. On a related note, I'm a bit behind on music shows, so the one I watched yesterday was actually the one with the debut of 5dolls (M!Countdown from Feb 17). I guess I need to pick up the pace on those a bit.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version