Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 66 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 521 of 844
13 January 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Well, I usually understand everything by context. For Korean dramas, if there's ever anything I need clarified, I could go on Soompi or dramabeans. But most of the time, worrying about understanding every little detail gets you nowhere. I don't understand jokes and such in English, so I don't expect myself to understand everything when I watch something in Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 522 of 844
13 January 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
One thing I've definitely picked up over the past couple years is that you never just go from "don't understand" to "understand" (regardless of how much you want that to happen). Understanding is more "shades of grey" where at some point you will start to get the gist of something but not the finer details. Learning more and using the language more gradually fills in those details. When I re-watch a show, it tends to be less "I didn't understand it at all before, but I get it now" and more "I kinda got the idea last time, but this time I caught extra bits that I missed last time".

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 523 of 844
22 January 2012 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Got my computer back so I can resume studying Korean again. Been watching Korean movies
the past couple of days. Plan to get back to using Korean actively tomorrow. Also trying
to get into the university's Korean Student Association. Hopefully they let in half
Koreans haha, though I think it's open to anyone who wants to join.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 524 of 844
22 January 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Yay...now you can finally reply to my blog posts and language log entries...ㅎㅎㅎ

BTW, after the second time I got infected by malware (and from well-known legitimate commercial websites, so I don't know if the malicious code was part of the advertising system or what), I got paranoid and do most of my web surfing in Linux virtual machines now. In fact, both my work machine and work laptop both have Ubuntu-based VMs running under VirtualBox whose sole purpose is web surfing. I could have made the VMs Windows-based instead (since you can always make a "clean" snapshot and rollback if something infects the guest OS), but with Linux there is a lower risk of getting the VM infected at all (as most malware is written for the Win32 platform and thus won't even launch under Linux unless you have Wine installed, which I don't have installed in my VMs) and I don't have to worry about paid licensing for Linux VMs.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 525 of 844
28 January 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Well, Han Ye Seul's movie came out on the internet, so I was busy watching that this weekend.

티끌모아 로맨스? I watched that one, too, 2 days ago :) It was pretty good and I guess if I had understood more it would've been even better. Luckily dramabeans did a movie review so I could catch up on the plot points I missed.

kraemder wrote:
Don't wait until you're ready? What if you get really sucked into the characters/plot and then you completely
fail to understand something that might be really funny or interesting? O.o ... How does one deal with that?
Of course I'm thinking of myself here and wondering if I should stop using subs even though I would only rate my Japanese as upper beginner and not intermediate.

You should try it. It goes a long way towards improving listening skills when you don't have subs you can rely on. Maybe start with something that you can watch subbed later, so you can check how much you understood and don't get frustrated.
I did that sometimes with a drama I was obsessed with. Also, there will be shows where you won't really care if you don't catch everything, because they're fairly simple. And finally, if you're craving to understand more that's very good motivation to study, isn't it? As long as you don't beat yourself up over not understanding something you should be fine.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 526 of 844
28 January 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how I got infected, but hackers are getting better with their viruses. I
thought the virus I had was a legitimate product since it said it was from Microsoft.

--

Yeah, it was 티끌모아 로맨스. I liked it a lot since the characters were quirky. This'll
be a movie I'll end up watching a lot over the years just because Han Ye Seul is in it
lol.

--

Last week I started a new Anki deck with the vocab having the English definition on the
front and the Korean definition on the back. I'm remembering words better doing this.
I'm at 180 words so far. Got back into my normal routine too: reading out loud from
Kdrama scripts, translating news articles on my tumblr, back to writing in Korean,
watching Kdramas and Kmovies, etc.

--

When it comes to Japanese, music has been my only real contact with the language. I
plan on trying to start watching a Jdrama soon, but my Japanese is already getting
rusty. It's just something that I'll have to accept, since my focus is on Korean. I
just need to focus on one until I get drastically better.

Edited by The Real CZ on 28 January 2012 at 3:26pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 527 of 844
01 February 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Man, trying to find some free time for Korean Monday-Wednesday is hard haha. I'm still
able to add 50 new words a day to Anki, but aside from that, I'm lucky to get one Kdrama
in or do much else because of school. I still do the bulk of my studying Thursday-Sunday
while working on school projects and such.

I've also started reading more business articles. Though I have to bookmark them because
I have to look up so many words, so I can't read them in one sitting.

Edited by The Real CZ on 01 February 2012 at 1:40pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 528 of 844
02 February 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Where are you getting the source material for 50 words/day (are these taken from context or just ripped from a vocab list) and how do you handle recall for that kind of word load? I'm not even doing that many per *week* and can't always remember them as reliably as I'd like. Unless you are just opting for more of a "throw a crapload of words at my brain and see how much sticks" approach...ㅋㅋㅋ

I also don't have the time to add that many cards per day unless your cards are *much* simpler than mine (which is likely, since I do put a lot of extra info on my cards).

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version