Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 529 of 844
02 February 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I just read a lot of articles on Naver, that's where I get the majority of my words from.
Sometimes I'm forced to get a Korean --> Korean definition, so that means looking up 4-5
more words to understand the definition.

My cards are just the English definition on the front side of the card and the Korean
word on the back.

I generally have good memory, which is why 50 words/day isn't that hard for me. Yeah, I
miss some, but I'm not aiming for 100% recall on the first try.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 530 of 844
02 February 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Ok so your cards are simpler (mine have much more data than that), but they are active cards?! Very interesting. That is faster for card creation but trickier for recall. I have a rather good memory myself, but I'm not sure it's quite that good (of course I am a good bit older than you as well, so maybe that's part of it). Then again, I suspect I would remember more than I think I would if I actually tried that many. The tricky part is finding the time to enter that many cards (especially with the extra data I always include). It almost makes me wish I had just downloaded a pre-made deck and started through it so I could get the large pool of words without the work of entering them. However, then I wouldn't know them from context in advance and words you learn that way stick so much better than random words from a list.

To clarify what my Anki cards include:
한국어 (the only field of the 4 that appears on the question side of the card) is the Korean word or phrase (I try to use just the word itself, but to differentiate homonyms I will either bump up to a longer word (that only applies to one of the homonyms) or a short phrase if needed).
영어 is the translation / answer / explanation (though I may rename this field as often it contains a Korean answer or explanation rather than the English translation now).
출처 contains the name of the source (book, TV show, movie, forum, blog, etc.) where I obtained this word along with the sentence or phrase in which it was used. If the word is in the KEV/SKV books I will also list that here along with the level (A, B, C) and the example sentence (if any) from SKV.
기타 contains miscellaneous information. This includes 한자 (if the word has Sino-Korean roots), SKV "usage tip" entries, alternate forms of the word, word definitions (for phrases), homonym notes, etc.

Here is an example of a recent card (one I added yesterday, in fact):
한국어: 동화책
영어: fairytale book
출처: SKV-C (동화책), SKV-B (동화: "정채봉의 동화는 아이들과 심지어 어른들에게도 아주 인기가 많다." = "Chaebong Chung's fairy tales are very popular with children and even adults.")
기타: 동화(童話) = children's story, fairy tale (lit: child-tell; 아이-말할) (with a homonym meaning "assimilation")

This is an example of a word that I needed to use in a longer form since the shorter form had a homonym. For the homonym card, I decided on 동화되다 (to integrate, assimilate (into), be assimilated) since that effectively separates it from the "fairy tale" meaning. This is also an example of a word I got from the SKV book, not from another source, thus SKV is the only source listed.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 531 of 844
05 February 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Finished Forbidden Love/Legend of a Nine Tailed Fox. Overall it was alright, but I
watched it because Han Ye Seul and Kim Tae Hee, the two hottest chicks in Korea, were
in
it.

Still doing most of the same stuff, but I've had to cut back on writing and speaking,
but
I'll try to find some time to resume those.

---

Okay, I got burned out on Anki again. Once I get to word that need to be reviewed a
week from now, I start forgetting them. Forgetting a lot of words and adding 50 cards a
day...yeah...never using Anki again.

Edited by The Real CZ on 05 February 2012 at 3:32am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 532 of 844
05 February 2012 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Right...because it is Anki's fault that you overdo it and burn yourself out each time rather than pacing yourself. ;) {/sarcasm}

Seriously, though, that's why I was so confused how you were able to keep up at 50 words/day. Even at 39 words/week, I've noticed my review counts have ramped a good ways up since I joined the Team TAC. Fortunately, I am still remembering most of the words, though, even when they climb to longer intervals.

Honestly, I was hoping you did pull it off at that rate, though, as that would have proven to me that my target was way too low (which it probably still is, to be honest).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 533 of 844
05 February 2012 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, 2012 is the last year I have enough free time to get good real quick in a language.
I just think that learning words through Anki just isn't for me. I tend to remember the
important words, so I should probably just read more and make a list in Word of all the
new words I had to look up and see if that sticks better.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 534 of 844
05 February 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Have you considered something like Gold List? I was using that for a while in the past, but found I just preferred using Anki instead. It may work better for your learning style and takes *way* less time than using an SRS.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 535 of 844
05 February 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I've read about it, but to me, it just seems like a waste if someone uses it the wrong
way.

I plan to go back to intensive reading on articles and books, and focus on learning the
vocabulary from the books I have and the articles I read. I'll probably focus on
entertainment and economic articles for now so that I keep my reading narrow for now.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 536 of 844
16 February 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
I had to stop studying for roughly a week because school was just too busy since the last
time I posted here. I was still reading and watching dramas, but didn't really have much
time to do anything else with Korean.

There's a small window of free time before I have more tests, but after that, the rest of
the semester shouldn't be as busy, except for the last two weeks of April.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version