Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 545 of 844
12 March 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Got tired of reading articles/webtoons/books while looking up the unknown words because I
would forget them after I looked them up anyway. So I basically just started reading a
lot more without looking up words. It seems to be working so far.

In addition to that, I'm just going through the Korean/English dictionary I have and just
looking at the words and definitions instead of trying to memorize them. I'm also going
through my grammar book and reading every sentence that has unknown words/grammar
particles in it and also looking at the English definition. It may not be "efficient",
but neither was looking up a bunch of words to later forget them.

Also MBC uploaded Nonstop 4 onto Youtube. It has 249 episodes (20 minutes per episode)
and Han Ye Seul is in it, so I have something to keep my busy for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 546 of 844
12 March 2012 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
It may not be "efficient", but neither was looking up a bunch of words to later forget them.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's more efficient in the long run. You'll probably still pick up quite a bit from context and you're not losing time looking up words, so you're going through more material in less time. If you learn from context or just look up words that really bother you selectively, chances are you'll remember more. At least it works that way for me.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 547 of 844
17 March 2012 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I'm hoping that's the case. I decided to write down and look down the
important/frequent words, so that I still end up looking words to help aid my
comprehension, but not so much that I'm bogged down looking up words that I won't
remember. I remember doing this two years ago and it working, but I read too threads
and articles about needing to know X words, so I ended up trying to memorize every
word.

I'll try to post some in the next few weeks, but the month of March is pretty much
hell. I'll be busier in March than I will be at the end of April, since I only have one
final, but I have three presentations in other classes.

Korean related - bought some new books, reading more webtoons.

I almost, almost started Japanese back up the other day. I found out my two favorite
Japanese actresses are making their comebacks next month, and I almost opened up some
Japanese books lol. I ended up restraining myself, as I want to stick to one language
at a time.

Anyway, latest Korean song I've been addicted to: 안녕
바다 - 악마

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 548 of 844
23 March 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
I've been reading a lot since I started doing this. I've been reading some sites and
blogs and it seems like extensive reading is right up my alley. Though, I don't follow
the 98% rule. I read whatever I wish to read. I couldn't read stories for fourth
graders because I'm simply not interested. So basically I've just been writing down the
words that show up a few times and the words that seem important to understanding the
sentence. I'm not writing down too many words per page, but when you read a lot, it
builds up quickly.

For looking up the vocabulary, I do it in a somewhat old fashion way. SRS has failed me
several times, so I just write down the words in a note book and the definition next to
it. I find that I really only need to review the new words once (just before I go to
sleep.) I end up seeing a lot of those words again in context, so this method is really
helping me.

I'm not sure what I want to do when it comes to the books. Should I go through the 13
books that I own and then reread them, going after the few (I'm hoping it'd be 'few'
when going through them a second time) new words or to just buy more books so I can
expand my vocabulary more with new novels instead of treading the same ground over and
over.

I've also been reading webtoons on Naver and Daum. For those of you who don't know what
webtoons are, they're free comics on two of Korea's biggest sites. The 'physical' comic
industry in Korea is kind of dead because these webtoons have become pretty popular.
There have been movies and dramas based off of some webtoons.

When looking at my biggest weaknesses, it is vocabulary. I find myself not being able
to express myself as well as I want due to a lack of vocabulary instead of grammar.
Knowing intermediate grammar in Korean can take you pretty far, so I'll still expand my
grammar knowledge, but if I don't end up seeing those rare grammar points much in all
my reading, I'll know that I probably won't need some grammar points too much when
writing/speaking.

Also, this is premiere week for K dramas. So many new dramas this week. I'm watching
The King 2 Hearts (yes, that's the title >.>) because Ha Ji Won is so damn fine.

Edited by The Real CZ on 24 March 2012 at 1:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 549 of 844
24 March 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I like your approach to looking up the vocab. Maybe I should adopt that method. So far I've just underlined what I didn't know and wrote down some guesses, but I find that I'm mostly too lazy and bored to go over the same content again and look up the vocab.

I'd say if you can get more books, don't re-read and instead read more books. Probably depends on your boredom tolerance... But if you just let the old books rest you're not missing out on anything, you'll meet the more important vocab again in other content anyway. I remember reading that extensive reading only works by exposing yourself to a lot of content and meeting the same words over and over in different contexts. That was written by people trying to sell books, though... :)

I'm also watching The King (I'll omit the absurdity...) How do you like the story so far? I have to say I'm more charmed by Ha Ji Won than by Lee Seung Gi. :D Seriously, what do people like about him so much?
But what I'm really curious about is if you find the North Korean accent difficult to understand. My comprehension is worse in the North Korean scenes, but maybe I could understand it if I knew all the words. I'm not sure.

Edited by druckfehler on 24 March 2012 at 1:36am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 550 of 844
24 March 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I was thinking that I should just buy more books and read a lot more webtoons and
news articles. I can reread these books in a few years or so.

I did try guessing, but it really doesn't work for me at this point. I have to see the
word 5-10 times, and sometimes I might have to read 100+ pages for that to happen.
Honestly, looking up the word after seeing it a few times, writing down the definition,
and seeing the word 5+ more times seems more helpful to me thus far.

I'm liking the story so far. The more absurd the story is, the more I usually enjoy it.
People mainly like Lee Seung Gi because of how he acts. He's like the "perfect son"
that Korean mothers want. I like him and I get his appeal, but I was intent on watching
this drama because Ha Ji Won is hot lol.

As for Ha Ji Won's North Korean accent, I'm not really having trouble with it. Granted
I don't understand everything she says, I don't understand everything the South Koreans
say anyway. From what I've noticed, they haven't used too many unfamiliar words. The
pitch to her accent is what's gonna take me some time to get used to.

Speaking of accents, the Kyeongsang dialect (Busan) gives me the most trouble. It has
the same pitch accent as Japanese, so it gives me trouble because it sounds like I'm
listening to a different language sometimes.

Edited by The Real CZ on 24 March 2012 at 1:47am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 551 of 844
25 March 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that I should just buy more books and read a lot more webtoons and
news articles. I can reread these books in a few years or so.

Speaking of buying books, Hanbooks has a sale right now for 12.5% off orders of $75 or more. I'm tempted to pick up a few books very soon because of that. Also, with all the talk about Hunger Games lately, I found it noteworthy that three of the new books they list are bilingual (Korean+English) versions of those books. (Hunger Games is listed as Young Adult literature, so that should put them in a similar difficulty grouping with something like Harry Potter).

Quote:
Speaking of accents, the Kyeongsang dialect (Busan) gives me the most trouble. It has
the same pitch accent as Japanese, so it gives me trouble because it sounds like I'm
listening to a different language sometimes.

I can't say I've ever really had all that much trouble with 부산 accents. In fact, the local half-Japanese/half-Korean flower shop owner around here (that I spoke in Korean with several months ago) is from 부산 and was afraid that would make it difficult to understand her, but I really didn't seem to notice. I've gotten to where I can recognize the accent, but it doesn't seem to affect my recognition much. Perhaps if I had been listening to a lot of Japanese and it were interfering that might be a different story, though.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 552 of 844
31 March 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Well, it's not that I get the Busan dialect confused with Japanese, but the pitch
accent throws me off, since I'm so used to the Seoul dialect.

I bought 4 Korean books earlier this month, but I placed an order for 7 more from
Hanbooks because of the deal. I plan to read a lot this year. I was doing this in 2010
for Korean, but didn't do it in 2011, mainly since my focus for most of 2011 was
Japanese, until I went to solely studying Korean in late 2011.

I've had more time for Korean the past couple of days now that just took two exams, but
the break won't be for long, as I have some group projects due next week. Been watching
a lot of Kdramas (mainly The King 2 Hearts, Rooftop Prince and Tree With Deep Roots.) I
also started watching Shinhwa Broadcast. Only watched the first episode, but it's
already the best group-specific idol show I've seen. These guys are hilarious.

I also translated my first article for one of my blogs for the first time in almost two
months. I knew all that reading would pay off, since it felt easier translating the
article. Though, what really helps is that I stopped trying to make the translations so
literal and focus on the articles making sense in English without losing too much of
the meaning. Some shit in Korean sounds really awkward when translating it to English,
so I had to change how I translated.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version