Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 577 of 844
19 May 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Japanese stuff costs way more than stuff we're accustomed to in the US. $100 for video
games, $30 for CDs, $80 for DVDs, etc.

Ahh...yeah, I see what you mean. That's pricey for CDs even compared to Korean CDs (which are already a lot more than locally purchased ones). Fortunately the amount of downloadable Japanese content out there (both legal and otherwise) absolutely dwarfs what is available for Korean.

Quote:
The textbook I used to learn Japanese

Interesting. I've already seen several people highly recommend that book on other sites, so I guess I've found my starter textbook for the English base.

Quote:
Mine didn't come with audio, but I didn't really need it, since I used JapanesePod101
with it and had watched anime for years before I started learning Japanese, so I
already
knew most of the sounds in Japanese.

I think this is partly why I seem to understand the dialogs so well already in Pimsleur. I've not actually studied Japanese before (other than the numbers), but have heard quite a bit of it from a variety of sources. This was not even close to true in Korean as I'd only been introduced to Korean media (and not very much of it) a few months prior to starting Pimsleur Korean. Even when I finished lesson 60, I still couldn't quite keep up with some of the dialogs from earlier lessons due to lack of listening skills with Korean.

Quote:
The book is quite good. 26 lessons and a final review lesson. It has over 2,000 words and it teaches a lot of grammar. It gets rid of romanji around lesson 3 and introduces kanji around lesson 6, easing you into kanji. It doesn't outright teach kanji like a dedicated kanji book would, but you'll learn the really common ones and their readings through this book.

I'm definitely fine with the Kanji being sparse as I'm planning to study the bulk of the Kanji through means other than a textbook anyway.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 578 of 844
28 May 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Quote:
The textbook I used to learn Japanese

Interesting. I've already seen several people highly recommend that book on other sites, so I guess I've found my starter textbook for the English base.

Well I went to go buy this book yesterday and found that the price is notably different now. When I checked it out earlier, it was $22.04. Now the cheapest copy they list is $140.21 (the used copies start at $175!). So I guess I'll have to either wait for more vendors to appear or buy this book elsewhere. They do have the 1990 edition for notably cheaper, though (less than $8 used, in fact), so that may be worth a shot (especially for a risk of only $7-8).

Edited by Warp3 on 28 May 2012 at 2:40pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 579 of 844
28 May 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
There are some other sites still selling it for $20.
Try here.

Edited by The Real CZ on 28 May 2012 at 3:26pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 580 of 844
28 May 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
There are some other sites still selling it for $20.
Try here.

True, but I was hoping to be able to buy at Amazon since I have a rather high gift card balance there right now. However, if I want it anytime soon, I may not have that option.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 581 of 844
10 June 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I haven't been reading as much lately, but I have been watching more dramas to
compensate for it. Also started going through my Korean-English dictionary again.

I realized that I'm never going to revise/review words. I never did for school (aside
from last minute cramming) and it didn't hurt me any, so I'll stop wasting my time
trying to use word lists, SRS systems, etc. For now, I just look up words I don't know.
If I forget it, I forget it and I'll look it up again. Reviewing vocab hasn't really
helped me. I feel like if I just learn the word, seeing it in context again will be
more helpful than seeing a definition. It doesn't bother me looking up words more than
once since I forgot words I reviewed heavily in Anki.

----

On a side note, I've become a fan of Hello Venus. For over the past year, I've been
shifting to more K hiphop and K indie for my Korean music needs, but Hello Venus is the
first rookie idol group I've liked since miss A and Girl's Day debuted in summer 2010.
Nara's legs are the best.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 582 of 844
10 June 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I realized that I'm never going to revise/review words. I never did for school (aside
from last minute cramming) and it didn't hurt me any, so I'll stop wasting my time
trying to use word lists, SRS systems, etc. For now, I just look up words I don't know.
If I forget it, I forget it and I'll look it up again. Reviewing vocab hasn't really
helped me. I feel like if I just learn the word, seeing it in context again will be
more helpful than seeing a definition. It doesn't bother me looking up words more than
once since I forgot words I reviewed heavily in Anki.

I've been tempted to do the same thing with Spanish. Maybe doing the lessons in Assimil without the extra SRS step would make them more palatable. Japanese is another story, though, as I can use all the kana reading practice I can get right now and SRSing my Pimsleur words/phrases provides me with known bits of the languages to practice reading.

Quote:
On a side note, I've become a fan of Hello Venus. For over the past year, I've been
shifting to more K hiphop and K indie for my Korean music needs, but Hello Venus is the
first rookie idol group I've liked since miss A and Girl's Day debuted in summer 2010.
Nara's legs are the best.

They just started appearing on the music shows I watch (since I'm still nearly a month behind on those) and the song "Venus" is rather decent. I've also noticed that they already seem to have a very noticeable "fan chant" going on during their performances which is rare for a group that new. The only other new K-pop group that has really caught my attention lately is Spica (mostly for Russian Roulette, which I greatly prefer over their second single Painkiller).

The *song* that has my attention the most lately, though, (which had been Russian Roulette until very recently) is definitely 백마는 오고 있는가 by Sunny Hill.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 583 of 844
10 June 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I just found out that DramaFever has episodes of Music Core and Inkigayo (though they're
a week behind) and I started watching the episodes. I read a Korean book while one of the
shows is on. I can still listen to the music while doing so, and if a song catches my
attention or if a group I like is performing, I give all of my attention. So it's a good
way to get a lot of reading in while watching a music show. Plus, it's better to watch it
in HD out in the living room than those damn YT videos that say they're in 720p but in
bad quality.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 584 of 844
11 June 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Lately, I've been getting the bulk of my music shows from D-addicts (except for 도전 1000곡). They are often posted the same day they air and frequently the high-quality 720P-Hanrel encode is one of the versions that gets posted. Plus they post them as torrents there, not direct downloads from poor quality file hosts like File Factory. I don't watch M-Countdown any longer, but still watch the other three (Music Bank, Music Core, and Inkigayo) plus 도전 1000곡 on a regular basis.

As I noted in my own log thread, I usually add Hanja characters to my SRS during the parts of the show that don't particularly interest me (i.e. boy groups and some ballad singers), but actually pay attention when the groups I *do* like appear. It is a good way to get two Korean tasks done at once without much in the way of any negative side-effect for either of them.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version