Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 78 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 617 of 844
23 September 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I made a new lang-8 account. I plan on writing about everyday things instead of just Korean entertainment like I did with my old one. I think that will help expand my writing production much faster if I talk about a variety of subjects. Plus, my old account was a desolate wasteland anyway.

I keep saying I need to start using Lang-8, but I still have yet to do so. I've had an account there forever, but I've not really done anything other than vote for a few English corrections here and there when I was checking out the site previously.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 618 of 844
03 October 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Since my last update, I've been doing more writing. It seems like the more I do it, the easier it becomes. I have found the easiest way to write is to find an English article and then summarize it in Korean and give some thoughts about it. It's a very quick way to learn new vocabulary since you have all of the words you're looking for in front of you in your native language, so you just have to look those words up in your target language. Usually I can only write about simple things off the top of my head in Korean, but doing a little translation from English to Korean seems to be helping a lot.

As I mentioned last month, I have been translating more at one of my tumblr blogs. To me, Korean --> English translation is like intensive reading on steroids. As you know, intensive reading is looking up all words and grammar structures unknown. Well, translating has you do that (if you're not fluent like I am), plus the added task of actively translating. I tend to remember words a lot better this way too. Instead of having to look the word up 15 times throughout the year or see it 50 times in Anki, 3-5 look ups while translating seems to be the norm, while there are plenty of words I remember after the first time. It is time intensive, which is why I'm sticking to translating interviews with actresses, which is what I actually like doing anyway.

I've been practicing speaking some more. I plan on doing more self-talk, just trying to get used to saying simpler sentences quicker and eventually moving on to orating more complex sentences as I practice more. I can write more complex sentences, but that's because I have the luxury of time to do so, and I can look up words I don't know. Maybe in one hundred years humans can invent a bilingual dictionary than can be implanted into the brain so that we can look up words on the fly while speaking.
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 619 of 844
08 October 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Man, I don't know where to start with this update. First, I finally got approved to get medically checked at MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station). I don't know when I'll go and I don't know when my enlistment date will be. I'm assuming it will be in the spring or summer since there's a delayed entry program. I could use the extra time, as I'm trying to cure myself of acid reflux (without using the medications that actually make the condition worse.) I can still do plenty of pushups and pullups and can do enough to pass physical tests, but since I've had stomach problems, I haven't done much running and situps, so I'll need to find alternative ways to get in better shape. Onto the language updates.

Not knowing when I'll be leaving for basic training or anything, I'll be doing as much as I can with Korean before I leave.

First up is speaking. I haven't done self-talking much, but I have been reading Tablo's Pieces Of You out loud. I've read half of the book out loud this week. I'm really trying to improve my rhythm and work on the words that are hard for me to pronounce. I will try to incorporate self talk, especially when doing speaking drills while working with grammar points I'm not good with.

Second is writing. I've done some more scriptorium work these days to work on grammar, mainly the structures I can't actively use yet or that well. I have written some more articles on Lang-8 this week.

Next is reading. I've almost finished another book through extensive reading and started a new book on intensive reading. I spent an hour going through five pages, writing down roughly 200 words to look up. I've also started intensively reading articles on Wall Street Journal Korea. I really need work on economic, political and scientific terms.

The intensive reading brings me to my next point. Tired of feeling like I know quite a lot but also feeling that I don't know shit, I have started using Anki again. I plan on adding 10,000 words over the next 50 days. The words will be English on the front and Korean on the back, as recall is a more effective way to remember facts rather than relying on recognition.

I haven't worked on any translations this week. I needed a week off. I have roughly 20 lined up that I wanna translate, so I better get on them.

As for dramas, I've been addicted to Cain & Abel and Ghost this week. I'll probbaly finish both by the end of the week. I've also started watching Oohlala Couple and The Horse Healer. I'll also watch The Great Seer which premieres on Wednesday.

And just as a reminder, I'm not going to school nor have a job right now. I had planned to be in the Air Force by now, which is why I have all of this free time.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 620 of 844
08 October 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
I've also started intensively reading articles on Wall Street Journal Korea. I really need work on economic, political and scientific terms.

Have you tried G.L.O.S.S. before? I think it's a really effective way to learn from newspaper articles and news reports.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 621 of 844
09 October 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
I've looked at it, but it's really hard to gauge what level to try. Level one seems too easy, level two seems way too hard. For now, I'll stick with Wall Street Journal Korea and Chosun Ilbo.

Oh, about Anki, I'll have to drop down to 100 per day. I didn't realize how much time 200 a day would take, as I would have to intensively read a lot longer to find new words and input so many words in. The reviews are a mess since there is a "learning mode" when you put new words into Anki 2. I could do this for 25 or 50 words at a time, but trying 200 new words is a pain. I spent 45 minutes and probably only got through 120 of the words since they keep repeating after a minute or 10 minutes. I think it's very effective, just too time consuming trying to do 200 words. It's taking away time for other things I want to do.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6338 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 622 of 844
09 October 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
100 new cards a day seems like an awfully high goal. I can't help but think that this will end the same way all your previous Anki adventures ended. On the other hand, you know what to expect so if it works for you then good luck with it.

So you got Anki 2 already? I can't wait to try out the learning mode. It's supposed to be adjustable, by the way, so you can experiment with the settings to find what works best for you.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 623 of 844
09 October 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Well, I was still in school when trying to use Anki the previous times. Seeing as there are limited hours to do Korean studying after doing schoolwork and working, I was spending too much time with Anki. Plus, I was doing the sentence method, which I really hate. I tried making my progress faster by having sentences with 3-5 unknown words in it instead of the one unknown word. The other problem I had was that I went from Korean on the front to English on the back. I was also studying Japanese, with two separate Japanese decks (sentences and kanji). I relied on Anki too much for learning, which made me hate it.

I also tested out Anki with close deletion when studying for school subjects and found them much more helpful to recalling information than just learning to recognize the word/answer like I did with Korean.

This time, it's just pure vocabulary, which takes a lot less time to input and review. 100 words may only take an hour for me to input and to "learn" with Anki 2, and the next day, I'll only have to review 10-20 minutes maximum.

Anki 2's learning mode is really good. For new cards, if you pass it, you'll see it in less than minutes, and if you pass it again, you'll see it the next day. If you fail a card, you'll see it in less than a minute. What really worked for me was rote memorizing the word by repeating the Korean word out loud 10 or so times while trying to remember the English word. Then the reviews started getting easier for me.

I also made the mistake last night trying to do that for 200 words at once. I think if I do 4 rounds of 25 words throughout the morning, it'll be waaaaaay easier.

Edited by The Real CZ on 09 October 2012 at 2:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 624 of 844
14 October 2012 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Okay, it's been a about a week since I started using Anki and I have 764 cards in there. I finished reading 달콤한 나의 도시 and I'm halfway through book one of 살수. I'm focusing on a lot of input. I've been watching quite a lot of dramas and movies this week. I've been doing a lot of intensive reading. I've been reading articles on Chosun News and DLI's G.L.O.S.S. website. For Chosun News, I read any article that interests me and add every unknown word to Anki. For GLOSS, I started at level 3, opting to start at the hardest level, adding every unknown word to Anki.

I've also continued to read out loud Pieces of You. I'm over halfway done now. I find that as I practice speaking more, it really helps with my listening. I believe I wrote something similar to this last December/this January.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version