Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 83 ... 105 106 Next >>
Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4912 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 657 of 844
02 January 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I've been using scriptorum for a few months now. I try to do it every few days for a quarter of an hour or so, and I
just copy a random article from a magazine or a paragraph or two from a school book. I'm not entirely sure what it
does for me, but I like the handwriting practice, and I find I remember some words, constructions and spellings
well after having done scriptorum. But as with everything, it's rather random what sticks and what doesn't. How do
you use scriptorum? You seem to go about it in a more systematic fashion... maybe I can learn from your approach.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 658 of 844
02 January 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
However, I did end up writing an article on Lang 8 yesterday. My article about IRIS 2 is here. I honestly thought it was written well and I was trying out some grammar structures that I'm weak with, but almost every sentence was corrected.

Seems to just be the fate of being anywhere intermediate... I remember the phenomenon from when I was studying English and the same is happening with Korean now. I always think "wow, that sounds awesomely native" and then it doesn't. But eventually it will, so it doesn't matter.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 659 of 844
03 January 2013 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
I've been using scriptorum for a few months now. I try to do it every few days for a quarter of an hour or so, and I
just copy a random article from a magazine or a paragraph or two from a school book. I'm not entirely sure what it
does for me, but I like the handwriting practice, and I find I remember some words, constructions and spellings
well after having done scriptorum. But as with everything, it's rather random what sticks and what doesn't. How do
you use scriptorum? You seem to go about it in a more systematic fashion... maybe I can learn from your approach.

Have you watched the Professor's video before? I do it like he describes exactly. I prefer to do this with a grammar reference in front of me, where each grammar point has five sentences each and an English translation for each sentence. I have never done this with a novel or anything because looking everything up would be a pain. With the English translation in front of me, I can concentrate on learning the structure. I then move onto the next grammar structure in the book that I have trouble with. Throughout the day, I try to use these structures in sentences through speaking and writing to reinforce what I learned.

druckfehler wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
However, I did end up writing an article on Lang 8 yesterday. My article about IRIS 2 is here. I honestly thought it was written well and I was trying out some grammar structures that I'm weak with, but almost every sentence was corrected.

Seems to just be the fate of being anywhere intermediate... I remember the phenomenon from when I was studying English and the same is happening with Korean now. I always think "wow, that sounds awesomely native" and then it doesn't. But eventually it will, so it doesn't matter.

That's good to hear. This is the first language I've ever been intermediate in (aside from sucking at English as a baby), but I figured I have nowhere to go but up as long as I stick with Korean.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 660 of 844
13 January 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Since I last posted, I have started school. From the looks of it, I'll easily be able to manage my time and energy between school work, looking for an internship, and learning Korean.

I dropped out of both of my teams because there was roughly 40 different logs to follow. I have joined an international fansite (that will officially launch around the end of the month) as a translator and editor. I'm also spending more time translating for my own blog, Hallyu Interview. That was the main factor in deciding to drop from the TEAM TACs this year. I have my own path to travel and I can't diverge from it by doing all of these team challenges and reading of other logs when I have articles to work on.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 661 of 844
21 January 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
This past week I've mainly been focusing on translating. This is forcing me to really learn grammar that I don't know well. I'll still do the scriptorium, but I plan only to use that for grammar structures that really need work instead of ones I don't know that well. I'm also doing what I did back in December: reading out example sentences from my grammar book. It's almost as effective, much easier to do, and a lot less boring.

I haven't really gotten much active practice aside from trying to translate English to Korean. I can see why translators suggest to only translate into the native language. It's really difficult to translate into a second language.

Since translating is my favorite way to learn (I translate interesting content, not boring shit out of a textbook), I'm doing a challenge for myself: to translate 100 interviews.

As of now, I have 5/100 done. I'm assuming that this will take me at least this whole semester to complete. I currently have 58 interviews in the queue

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 662 of 844
07 February 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm still alive and here. I just haven't really had anything new to update. I've translated some more interviews, which is helping me internalize some new grammar fairly quickly.

As for dramas, I'm watching quite a few, but I don't have the time to keep up with them all these days. I'm busy searching for an internship, so I try to watch at least an episode a day.

Yesterday I finished another book (I don't remember the name at the moment.) I had an hour of free time yesterday and blazed through the second half of the book. While I still don't understand 100% yet, I understand quite a bit and context really helps. If I keep reading a lot, I think I'll soon be at the stage where I can do more extensive reading when it comes to novels. I still need to rely on intensive reading when it comes to specific subjects (business, politics, sports, IT/science).

I haven't had much time to write on lang 8, though I'll work on something this weekend.

I started dabbling with Japanese and French again. With Japanese, it's mainly just easing back into it. With French, I'm just going through a couple of lessons per day, as I simply just analyze the sentences and try to infer what it means rather than spend 15-30 minutes listening to a 1-2 minute audio track over and over while reading the French side and then the English side. I simply just listen to the French audio and follow along with the script, usually doing 10 of those at a time.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 663 of 844
08 February 2013 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Is it better to translate when you reach a certain advanced level, like you have with Korean?

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 664 of 844
08 February 2013 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I honestly started translating songs and such when I just broke into the "intermediate stage". You can really do it once you get the the intermediate stage, but it is better to wait until you get to the higher intermediate stages. You'll have a much better feel for grammar and vocab and won't be nearly as frustrated.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version