Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 86 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 681 of 844
08 May 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it just seems better to learn the actual word first and then learn how to read it later.

In my German studies, the trouble I've been having is the lack of native material to delve into. Most of my time has been spent with Assimil and FSI. While watching a show called TV Total (a talk show similar to the ones we have late at night here in the US), a band called B-Tight Playaz appeared on the show to talk to the host and performed.

B-Tight Playaz - Die Zeit heilt nichts

It's good to finally find some music I like. Music really motivates me to continue on with Korean, so it should do the same with German.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 682 of 844
26 May 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Lately I've been experimenting and I have found that MCDs are very good for learning grammar.

This is an example:

Front Card

이 방법 말고 다른 좋{{c3::은}} {{c1::수}}{{c2::가}} 없을까요?
Would there be any other good way to do it besides this method?

Extra

Vst+ -(으)ㄴ/-는 수가 있다/없다 = a way or means exists/does not exist; there are(n't) times or occasions when did/was or does/is

For this sentence, I made three cloze deletions to differentiate this from the pattern -ㄹ 수 있다/없다 since I used to mix them up.

This has really helped me learn the grammar better than other methods have. I'm still on the fence on whether or not to learn vocab with SRS, but cloze deletions for grammar are working very well for me.

EDIT: If I do learn vocab through SRS, it will have to be MCDs. The 1 to 1 (KOR --> ENG or ENG --> KOR) cards are as boring as shit.

Edited by The Real CZ on 26 May 2013 at 8:48pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 683 of 844
07 June 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
After experimenting with MCDs, I think they can be helpful, especially for grammar. However, it's not the system for me. I may end up just using it for grammar constructions that I either have trouble with and/or with grammar constructions that I know passively but don't use actively. MCDs for vocab are just bad for me. It takes so long to make the cards and then seeing the same paragraph 10 times for review just bores me.

I'll be going back to my normal method for learning words. Honestly, what seems to work the best for me is not trying to memorize the words. A lot of reading and looking up the common words seems to do the trick for me. Then as I see certain unknown words multiple times, it seems to stick better after looking up the definition in the dictionary. I may have to look up the word a couple more times, but it doesn't bother. Trying to memorize words reminds me too much of the cramming/memorization I did in school, and I've always done much better when I just let the material come to me instead of trying to memorize it, no matter the subject.

I'm still working on a way to work on output, but I think at this point I'll abandon the "try to use constructions I just learned" approach since that has never worked for me. I'll probably work on constructions where I have a strong passive knowledge but a weak active knowledge of them. For me, it seems easier to go:

unknown ---> passive ---> strong passive ---> weak active ---> strong active

as opposed to

unknown ---> strong active

like how schools teach things. Languages aren't like math (my best subject) where you can do some practice problems and get it just like that.

It seems like I finally found what works for me in the long run. It took a lot of experimentation to finally get to this point. I've tried many methods recommended by many polyglots, but I'm just glad that I finally found my own path that will allow me to keep learning languages the way that works best for me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 684 of 844
09 July 2013 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
I just found out that SBS put up Korean subtitles for their dramas. Click an episode and go to 자막보기 and there they are.

SBS VOD
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 685 of 844
18 July 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I went through the scripts of the first four episodes of Empire of Gold and learned a lot of words through them. I simple looked up each word and moved on. The important words get repeated enough to where it's like a natural SRS. If I do forget some of the words in the future, who gives a shit? Those words will be that much easier to learn in the future and will stick longer. Right now, I'm going through episode one of The King of Dramas. That drama has already finished airing, so I'll go through that whole series. Just my estimates, but I figure I'll learn 1,000-2,000 words very well and learn another 3,000+ somewhat well. The latter will most likely be forgotten, but again, they'll be easier to remember when I come across them again.

Just like Khatz has said many times, 200 * 0.485% = 97%, which is better than 0 * 100%. Sure, I may only remember 40-60% of the words, but I'm seeing 300-500 words a day, which sure beats trying to remember 20 words at 100% efficiency.

Anyway, I'm dropping Japanese for a few years. I spent most of June on it and found that it's really easy for me to get to B1 in passive knowledge in a short time due to knowing Korean, but I don't have the time for it anymore. I'll be taking Mandarin at university next month (I just needed a four-hour class to graduate), and I'll still be spending a lot of time on Korean. On the other hand, it'll make learning Japanese that much easier in the future, as I'll have the characters and grammar down, reducing my time even further.

EDIT: I'm not trying to "push" my views on language learning onto anyone, I'm just trying to fight the notion that you "need" SRS to learn anything.

Edited by The Real CZ on 18 July 2013 at 5:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 686 of 844
01 August 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
EDIT: I'm not trying to "push" my views on language learning onto anyone, I'm just trying to fight the notion that you "need" SRS to learn anything.

Amen to that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 687 of 844
01 August 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Just my estimates, but I figure I'll learn 1,000-2,000 words very well and learn another 3,000+ somewhat well.

That seems like a good approach but are you sure these numbers are correct/likely? I thought any given drama only contains max 4000-5000 different vocabulary words (because the subject or general setting of the drama stays the same and because [drama] writers tend to reuse a lot of vocabulary). Given the fact that you already know more than 6000 words (by your own estimation if I remember correctly) I just don't see how you could find 5000 new words in a single drama. I mean, I'm sure reading the scripts will be useful, I read them as well, it just seems that maybe your expectations are too high.

And yes, the SBS VOD site is great, I've been using it for a while. Too bad the other stations don't have anything like that. I wanted to find the scripts for Nice Guy very much, I'm still looking for them now and then but I can't find anything.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5409 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 688 of 844
01 August 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Yes, 200-300 new words per episode x 16 will give you a lot of new words, especially if the drama has a lot of vocabulary from a specialized field.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version