Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 89 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 705 of 844
09 December 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Haha, I'll probably have to spend part of that lunch time getting a 20 minute nap so
that I can stay awake for the rest of the day.

Anyway, I have been auditing my studying/learning habits and have learned that while I
bitch about Anki a lot, I find it very useful, with it being especially useful for
grammar. I have found that I tend to become manic and study a language a lot at once,
and then stop. Anki will help me from having to restart from a certain point all the
time. I believe I will also need it in the future because I won't be a student with all
the free time in the world anymore, so it'll make my studying more streamlined. Even if
I don't get a finance job, I'll probably be going to graduate school and having to
study and work a lot there.

However, I have found that a lot of my progress has come from a mix of intensive
studies using active recall and spaced repetition (aka Anki) alongside with a lot of
reading and watching TV. I tried to separate them in a vacuum, but they work very well
together. I have noticed that when I don't use Anki and just try to rely on intensive
reading for vocabulary work, well, it doesn't help that I become lazy and don't
intensively read enough to make the method effective. I find that the reading I do
really reinforces what I have learned. I hardly practice output, but the massive
amounts of reading I have done has helped a lot. Maybe I should have read more in
English when I was younger, but math and science were my strong suits, anyway.

Anyway, I started using Anki a few days ago and will update the stats every Monday and
see what my decks look like if I keep using it steadily throughout a whole year instead
of manically using it.

I'll probably start logging more often now that I'm focused for TAC 2014. While I did
technically do a TAC for 2013, I wasn't really focused because of other factors.

Week 1 Anki stats (this week was truncated for reasons explained above). For MCD decks,
it will look like #/#. The first number is the actual number of cards and the second
one is the number of notes. The second column will naturally be bigger because for
grammar MCDs, I really break down the particles.

Chinese MCDs: 24(26)
Chinese Vocab: 7
Hanzi: 0
Japanese MCDs: 10(19)
Japanese Vocab: 75
Korean MCDs: 0(0)
Korean Vocab: 37

Also, if anyone is interested, I wrote two articles about how to learn languages on my
site, Anti Kpop Fangirl, because so many people have asked me how I have learned the
languages that I have.

Edit: Wow, the url code is garbage on this forum.

http://antikpopfangirl.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-learn-kor ean-or-any-other.html
http://antikpopfangirl.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-learn-kor ean-or-any-other_6.html

Edited by The Real CZ on 09 December 2013 at 3:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 706 of 844
11 December 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
The code is complete garbage.

And it seems that Anki, for a lot of us, just isn't something we can do consistently, in and out, every day, every year. I can go for weeks or even months using Anki every day and be just fine, then out of the blue I become sick of it for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 707 of 844
11 December 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm surprised that this site still runs on coding from the late 90s/early 2000s.
It's just awful these days.

I think I need Anki because without it, I rarely study. I just end up watching dramas
that have hot actresses in it instead. Sure, the listening practice helps and it helps
reinforce things I have already learned, but it doesn't help me learn anything new lol. I
just won't try to learn 3000 words in a month like I tried to with Korean last year lol.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 708 of 844
16 December 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
12/16/13

Chinese MCDs: 59(73) [+35(47)]
Chinese Vocab: 114 [+107]
Hanzi: 0 [+0]
Japanese MCDs: 12(27) [+2(8)]
Japanese Vocab: 225 [+150]
Korean MCDs: 10(18) [+10(18)]
Korean Vocab: 178 [+141]

I thought I made good progress this week despite being busy studying for finals last
week. Now that finals are over and job searching is my #1 goal, I should have a lot
more time in the immediate future to study languages and work on translations that I do
for a site of mine.

Right now, I'm focusing on consistency, trying to add at least 10 new words per day in
each language (takes just a few minutes to learn them and review them, but obviously
longer to mine all of those words). What I believe will help me from avoiding having
1,000+ words to review is the fact that I'm trying to learn three languages at once.
However, now that school is over, I'll definitely go slower with Chinese and put more
focus on Korean and Japanese. I'm simply trying to get my Mandarin to a low
intermediate level through a small amount of studying per day, and hopefully within a
couple of years when I'm satisfied with my Korean and Japanese, I'll have more time to
dedicate to Chinese and I'll be at a good place to really ramp up studying if I'm at a
lower intermediate level by then.

I still need time to come up with language goals, so I'll probably do that later in the
week.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 709 of 844
18 December 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Lately I've been trying to think of the best number of cards to add per day, trying to
find a balance between adding enough to where it feels like I make good progress
everyday but not too much to where I feel overburdened. As of now, I'm thinking of
adding 10 vocab cards per day for Chinese since it's a newer language for me, thus
being harder to learn new words. I'll go with 30 for Japanese and Korean because it is
easier for me to remember words. I thought of doing more, but then I remembered back to
when I tried to do 100-200 per day in Korean and yeah, I want to avoid that then.

Next, I want to focus more on grammar the next year. Not just MCDs, but more active
practice. I'll probably write down sentences using grammar constructions I have
learned, and will probably only do so after having practiced the structures through
MCDs or reading out loud plenty of example sentences. I want to give a stronger focus
to active skills for the next year, as I think I could be better, but have focused far
too much on input (my studying is 99% input 1% output). I would like to get it to
80/20.

Now, I've been addicted to some songs this past week, so I'll post them, providing the
garbage coding on here allows me.

Radwimps - 会心の一撃
Dawen - Beautiful
Kebee - 벼랑꽃 (Feat. 샛별)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 710 of 844
21 December 2013 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
I created a new Twitter account just for the purpose of tweeting in Korean, Japanese,
and Chinese. New account is here. I have
two other twitter accounts already, but they are mainly for the Kpop/Kdrama sites I run
and people who I've met on such sites, so I thought it would have been a mess to try
and incorporate foreign language tweets to people who don't even know any Korean,
Japanese and/or Chinese. Besides, having a twitter account solely for practicing will
help.

My goal is to simply tweet everyday in each language at least one time. At first I know
it will be tough for Japanese and Chinese, but I think the practice of trying to
compose thoughts will help me a lot more.

Speaking of goals, I've been thinking a lot and have finally decided on what they are.
Instead of "I want to add ____ cards to Anki or reach Z5 of the CEFR scale in 25
seconds", my goals are mainly about how I study and my habits. When I was reviewing my
study habits, I have noticed that I manically study. This is due to school, where I
rarely had to study, and when I did, it was in short, intense bursts. This has carried
over to language study as well, where I have made huge strides in short periods of
time, then taking even more time off. That may work for intensively exercising (like
sprinting), but it doesn't work for most things. People who've read my log here has
known that I can learn 100-200 words a day through Anki for a month, then give up on
Anki for a year. So, that's 3,000 words before giving up. And I tried that same method
over and over. Just doing some simple math, doing something easily manageable like 20-
30 per day would be around 8 to 11 thousand words in a year, and that would bring
someone to an
upper intermediate level, and a few more years would probably bring someone to advanced
fluency.

Essentially, my plan is to focus on doing as much as I can per day instead of making
grandiose plans that burn me out within a month. In addition to that, I want to change
some of my habits. Tweeting in the three languages I'm learning will help a lot, and I
plan to try to incorporate more speaking exercises everyday. I think my accents need
some work, and simply speaking a lot more while working on problem sounds will help a
lot more than hoping that more drama watching will eventually correct everything
(though it really helps).

I may start writing on Lang 8 again, but I won't make any major promises on that. I'll
probably stick with tweeting for now, working on the grammar points that I've been
reviewing through MCDs.

Edited by The Real CZ on 21 December 2013 at 2:34am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 711 of 844
21 December 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good plan to focus on habits instead of results. Although I have some fixed goals for Korean, I'm trying to do the same with Persian. Just seems like there will be less potential for frustration that way.

The Real CZ wrote:
reach Z5 of the CEFR scale in 25 seconds

:D Well put. Nowadays I'm really astonished at the level jumps people set themselves as TAC goals. The more I think about CEFR the more elusive progress along the scale seems to become... But I would think that you're already at B2 in Korean - at least in passive skills. Or is the distance even bigger than I'm thinking now?

I think 20-30 new words per day is still a pretty ambitious idea... Even 10 are a lot if you can keep it up for a year. Maybe not so much the actual learning, but the mining for these words might take ages...

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 712 of 844
21 December 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Sounds like a good plan to focus on habits instead of results.
Although I have some fixed goals for Korean, I'm trying to do the same with Persian.
Just seems like there will be less potential for frustration that way.

The Real CZ wrote:
reach Z5 of the CEFR scale in 25 seconds

:D Well put. Nowadays I'm really astonished at the level jumps people set themselves as
TAC goals. The more I think about CEFR the more elusive progress along the scale seems
to become... But I would think that you're already at B2 in Korean - at least in
passive skills. Or is the distance even bigger than I'm thinking now?

I think 20-30 new words per day is still a pretty ambitious idea... Even 10 are a lot
if you can keep it up for a year. Maybe not so much the actual learning, but the mining
for these words might take ages...

I'd probably say I'm around B2, maybe low B2, in passive skills. I can understand
dramas fairly well and rarely get lost unless it's a historical drama or about a topic
I know nothing about. Even reading seems fine, as I can understand a lot, even if I
don't know every word. However, whenever I read something, there are still words I
don't know, so until I can start reading articles where there's very few words I don't
know, I won't be satisfied.

As for 20-30 words per day (in both Korean and Japanese, just 10 in Chinese), the
mining is fairly easy, because I do it while listening to music or during dead time
that I would waste on doing other things. It's easier to mine in Japanese and Chinese,
but since I have to look up some words in a Korean-Korean dictionary on Naver, I have
to mine all of the words from the definition, too.

I will probably shorten it down to 20 a day or so for now because I want to focus on
grammar and using those structures in all three languages. Lots and lots of reading has
helped me with Korean, but I think MCDs and actual practice can make the process a lot
shorter.

I agree about everyone trying to reach a certain goal on the CEFR scale. I burned out
trying to do that, so that's why I'm focused on studying habits instead of actual
goals.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version