Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 96 ... 105 106 Next >>
druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 761 of 844
16 March 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
druckfehler wrote:
[...] we were told that editors often have to change 90% of the text they get sent by their non-fiction authors.

What's different with fiction authors? The ones I've met didn't impress me deeply either.

Hmm... The editor giving the seminar only edited non-fiction. I would guess editors don't change 90% of the text sent by their fiction authors, but I could be wrong. I do get the impression that if a fiction author has horrible style, it just gets published without that much revision :D
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5006 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 762 of 844
16 March 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
So that's why it's so difficult to find fiction that looks decent -- good one!
It's like that joke about the selection process... to get in, you just fail the test :D

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 763 of 844
21 March 2014 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
I finally have an appointment to set up a plan of undergraduate accounting courses to
take. Once I know how long that will actually take for me to finish them all, then I'll
set up a starting date to study for the GMAT. From what I have gathered, I only need 6
glasses before moving onto graduate school. If possible, I want to finish by the fall
(taking summer and fall classes), have an internship or two and start grad school in
the fall of 2015. But nothing ever works out as one desires, so we'll see.

Now as I go back to 100% input for the next couple of years and mainly relying on Anki,
I'm having a good idea on how I want to do my decks.

For Japanese and Korean, I will be doing grammar decks and a general MCD/vocab deck
focusing on drama scripts. I'll probably throw some new articles in there, but that'll
be down the road once I don't have to cloze delete every word.

I plan on doing an RTK deck for kanji. I'm thinking of making this a production deck as
well.

For Mandarin, I'm sticking to grammar decks for the time being and will keep everything
in pinyin for now (as it is still a grammar/production deck instead of one focusing on
how to read). I plan on putting every sentence in my Chinese: A Complete Grammar into
Anki. I may also buy Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar by Claudia Ross and put all of the
sentences in there.

I'm also making decks for German and French. For German, I'll be putting every sentence
with a corresponding English translation from FSI German into a deck, using the deck to
learn both vocab and grammar. Same thing with French, but using Assimil. It'll probably
take me over a year to finish those books, but I just want to slowly build passive
fluency in those two languages before I actively study when my Korean, Japanese and
Mandarin are at better levels.

This time with Anki, I'm making the cards simpler, taking away a lot of grunt work that
I used to put into old cards. Now in the notes section, I just put the book and page
number instead of typing out the long explanations from the grammar books. With more
decks, the cards will be spread out, so I'll also avoid having way too many cards to
review.

I'm doing this for consistency as to cut down on my manic study patterns. I would be
much better in Korean and Japanese if I studied consistently instead of manically where
I would try to overdo it and quickly burn out. I plan on using language study as a nice
reprieve from accounting haha.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5315 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 764 of 844
21 March 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
요즘 내 한국어 카드에는 거의 문법만 있어. 그래서 매일 복습할 때 전보다 훨씬 더 빨라. 근데
MCD는 가사 카드밖에 아직도 해본 적이 없어.

Edited by Warp3 on 21 March 2014 at 12:03pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 765 of 844
23 April 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see HTLAL back up and running.

Some notes: I have been keeping up with Anki. I have added quite a few grammar cards to
my CJK decks and started doing vocab decks for the three languages again. I don't do
enough extensive reading anymore, so I have to do intensive vocab study with Anki to
retain new words I learn. I finally found a decent method of doing vocab with Anki now. I
always listen to some music in one of my target languages while making the cards and
reviewing them, so there's now a positive association with reviewing cards in Anki.
Simple psychology works in instances like this.

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 766 of 844
23 April 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see HTLAL back up and running.

Some notes: I have been keeping up with Anki. I have added quite a few grammar cards to
my CJK decks and started doing vocab decks for the three languages again. I don't do
enough extensive reading anymore, so I have to do intensive vocab study with Anki to
retain new words I learn. I finally found a decent method of doing vocab with Anki now. I
always listen to some music in one of my target languages while making the cards and
reviewing them, so there's now a positive association with reviewing cards in Anki.
Simple psychology works in instances like this.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 767 of 844
30 April 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
With April coming to a close, I didn't have any goals except to be consistent with
trying to get in some time with my languages every day. At the very least, my goal was
to add five new words to Anki every day. Also in April, I started writing for Soompi,
so I have had to translate and then rewrite Korean articles into English. It's easier
to rewrite than to directly translate, but this made me realize how unsatisfied I was
with my English writing haha.

Anyway, I start studying for the GMAT in earnest in May, so I will be focusing a lot on
English grammar and writing, but I wanted to make some goals for Chinese, Japanese and
Korean.

I want to have 1,000 vocab cards in each deck. Right now, I have 65 in my Chinese and
Japanese decks and 127 in my Korean deck. My goal will be roughly 30 words/day per
language which is normally doable for me, but my new schedule will make it challenging.
I also want to resume writing on my blog and want to have three posts in each language
in May. That means I'll have to really brush on my Chinese and Japanese grammar.

My views on setting goals have changed, which is why they seem intense. I believe that
language, like any activity of the long-term, should be a continual process where you
continue to improve. It's basically the kaizen principle. Goals should be short-term
and intense to really push oneself. I don't like setting long-term goals because once
you attain a long-term goal, you really stop working for something. I think weight loss
goals are a good example of people giving up after attaining their goal. They end up
losing 50 pounds in a year, but after reaching that goal, revert back to their bad
habits instead of trying to improve their health continuously.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 768 of 844
04 May 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I started experimenting with the vocab challenge I set upon myself. I skipped May 1
because of work, but on May 2, I added 100 Japanese words and the reviews on May 3 were
easy. I don't think I missed more than one or two cards. On May 3, I added 100 Mandarin
cards. This morning, I missed about 20 while reviewing. While I actually don't care about
missing cards, missing 20% just makes reviewing that much longer. I don't have a large
enough vocabulary base in Mandarin to add 100 words a day like I can in Japanese and
Korean. I'll probably revert to adding 20-30 words a day in Mandarin when possible and
try to add 70 or so every other day in Japanese and Korean. I'm not sure if I'll be able
to achieve these goals, but that's the fun of it. If I had set the bar at 500, I could
easily do it and it wouldn't be any fun.

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version