Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 99 ... 105 106 Next >>
Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 785 of 844
01 August 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
I thought you were dropping Cantonese? Can't stay away, huh? ㅋㅋㅋ
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 786 of 844
01 August 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I thought you were dropping Cantonese? Can't stay away, huh? ㅋㅋㅋ

I like Cantopop too much haha.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 787 of 844
10 August 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Update so far:

In the 6 Week Challenge, I'm 14th right now. As I only update once a week, I'll keep on
dropping until I update again. There's zero chance of me winning because I have other
things I have to study for school and work, but I'd like to be in the top 10 when it's
all over. Well, or at least finish the 6WC this time. The last times I was in first
place, I burned out in 2 weeks and never finished the challenges.

My plans for learning have changed a lot, so it's always good to be flexible. I had to
ask myself what would be the fastest way to learn as much as possible instead of trying
to learn as efficiently as possible, and it was paper flashcards.

So while reading Cantonese news articles, I have been writing down the word in
romanization. When reviewing the cards, I went through the words English -> Cantonese >
English, and then went through the batch of cards Cantonese -> English -> Cantonese. I
didn't test myself on these cards yet as I know I need more language time under my belt
before testing myself will become effective. After getting about 800 cards like this, I
have put these cards away for now and will create cards from my Teach Yourself
Cantonese book and test myself on these cards. As the dialogues don't have English
translations, I'll have to memorize the words.

I am also doing this with grammar. I am going through my Beginning Cantonese book and
writing down sentences and their translations on flashcards. I am basically doing the
exact same thing I was doing with MCDs in Anki, except that I can't do cloze deletions,
so I underline the parts that I am learning and will review these cards so much that
I'll end up memorizing them.

Of course, I'm also doing this with Chinese characters. It's way too time consuming to
make Anki cards. All I do is write the character on the front and on the back I write
the radicals and meaning. I try to draw the character instead of just trying to
recognize it. I also skipped the pronunciation since I need these characters for four
languages, so I'll learn how to pronounce the characters through vocabulary study and
massive extensive reading down the road.

Now I just need to watch some more Cantonese media. The 6WC gave me a good excuse to
watch Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle again.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 788 of 844
16 August 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been able to do as much traditional studying this past week because our
family got a new puppy last Saturday, so training him and playing with him is really
time consuming. Since we're trying to make him an inside/house dog, we have to go
outside for 15-20 minutes at a time to potty train him. After a couple of days of doing
this, I finally got the bright idea to listen to Cantonese podcasts on my mp3 player as
I walk him outside. I'm getting in a lot more listening practice this way.

For grammar, I have continued making flashcards, completing Basic Cantonese and now
working on Intermediate Cantonese. I have roughly 300 cards, so I think studying 600
sentences a lot should really help. Of course, I'm going back through Basic Cantonese
and reading and analyzing every sentence for reinforcement. I'm hoping by the end of
the month I'll have a decent enough of a base to start writing down sentences to get
some practice.

I still want to go through Teach Yourself Cantonese. I was trying to use scriptorium,
then I tried memorizing every vocab word in the lists before doing the lesson, but now
I'll probably just read through the dialogues and refer to the vocab lists whenever I
get lost. I assume if I do this enough, enough of the material will stick.

I stopped focusing so much on vocabulary flashcards. It's really great for short-term
learning, but I never find myself reviewing the cards. Probably because I know that I
need to learn tens of thousands of words instead of trying to force in the common words
into my brain. I'll go back to reading a lot with a pop-up dictionary and try learning
new words as I read the sentences in my grammar books. It's much too boring to try to
master a small set of words to forget them anyway.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 789 of 844
08 September 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, holy crap. I haven't had much time to study since school started, so obviously I
had to stop with the 6-Week Challenge. The only languages I have had consistent
contact with are Korean and Japanese because I still translate Korean on most days and
watching a 25 minute episode of an anime is easier than watching an hour long episode
of a K, TW or HK drama.

Right now, I'm working on MCD decks. I finally caught up on reviews for my grammar
decks. I'm making two more decks for each language: regular MCD in which I find some
news articles and do the usual work. The other one is a song lyric MCD deck. I
remember how beneficial songs were to my Korean back in 2010. The decks will help me a
lot with Cantonese, as I'll be able to remember the words better if they're from a
song I like than if they're from a random news article. This will also help me try to
find new artists to like in Taiwan and Japan. I like quite a few pop singers and idol
groups in Taiwan, but I would like to see if I can find a rock band or something to
become a fan of. In Japan, it's just trying to find new bands to like. I used to
listen to a lot of J-rock ten years ago, so I am starting with the rock scene to find
newer bands. I learned my lesson to stay away from Japanese idols, who undoubtedly
release the worst music I have ever listened to in my life, no exaggerations. This
won't help me with Korean pop (as there usually aren't that many unknown words), but
it will help for hiphop and rock songs.

Essentially, my plan is to add about 35 MCDs per week to each language. That is
totaling the grammar, regular and lyric MCD decks. I figure five words/grammar points
a day over the long run will be helpful. I'll mainly have to focus on input for the
next two years, so this will be a start. I'll figure what else to do in the meantime
for other areas in the language to help me continually improve. It will probably be
three years before I'm done with the CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam, so
language learning can't be a huge focus for me in the foreseeable future.

Edited by The Real CZ on 08 September 2014 at 4:18am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 790 of 844
08 September 2014 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
The other one is a song lyric MCD deck.

My Korean lyrics deck (the one I use to memorize songs) is actually a cloze deletion
deck, but that's because I treat each line as a cloze then use the preceding lines to
generate the missing one from memory.

Quote:
I learned my lesson to stay away from Japanese idols, who undoubtedly
release the worst music I have ever listened to in my life, no exaggerations.

I've been finding myself coming to the opposite conclusion lately. Something along the
lines of: "Hey, apparently J-pop idol groups aren't as bad as CZ kept saying they were."
In fact, some of the music I'm coming across doesn't seem to differ all that much from
their K-pop counterparts. Granted, most of what I've come across so far is linked to
AKB48 since I'm watching so much AKBINGO! right now, so my experience is a bit limited
with it thus far, but AKB48 and its sister groups (SKE48, SDN48, etc.) all have some
pretty decent songs in their catalog. I'm starting to find myself particularly fond of
AKB48's "No Sleeves" subgroup (こじまはるな + みねぎしみなみ + たかはしみなみ).

What I need to do, though, is track down J-min's albums now that I've discovered that the
bulk of her releases have been in Japan, not in Korea (and I'm very fond of her Korean
releases, so hopefully I feel the same about her Japanese albums).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5430 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 791 of 844
08 September 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
No, the songs are as bad as I say. Terrible compositions + high-pitched singing = I'd
rather have piranhas eat my dick off.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5316 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 792 of 844
09 September 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
K-pop has plenty of instances of both of those as well (and the latter seems to be common
in Asian music in general from what I've seen). ;)

Besides which: AKB48's "Beginner" and SKE48's "Tsuyoki monoyo" (two of the songs I've
really latched on to) are actually *lower* pitched than the vast majority of K-pop songs and
the verse (less so the chorus) of AKB48's "Namida Surprise" has one of the most unique
and addictive melodies that I've heard in years (I just wish they'd stuck that awesome
melody into something other than a "Happy Birthday" song...lol).

Edited by Warp3 on 09 September 2014 at 3:49am

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version