nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 9 of 70
13 September 2009 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
So I either mentioned it in this journal or my other one, but I bought a set of Modern Hebrew vocabulary cards
some time ago and halfheartedly memorized a few words before declaring the activity "really boring" and putting
the set aside.

Well today I picked up the set again and got to work. My new goal for Modern Hebrew is to memorize all the
words in the set. There are 1000 cards and each card has several words from the same root totaling something
like 5000 words. And in the Hebrew language especially, once you know a root of a word it opens up the door
to comprehending several other related words comprised of the same root. I will record my progress with the
cards in my journal.

So far, 152 cards completed 848 to go!

Now I am off to do some Russian pimsleurs.....
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 10 of 70
13 September 2009 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention that I purchased "Hebrew: A Language Course Level 2" by Ora Band. I've already completed a
couple of beginning textbooks so I'm hoping this book will be at my level. I'm also using learnhebrewpod.com,
which is an excellent resource. I'm taking the new words and entering them into Anki.

1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 11 of 70
20 September 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I've been focusing on Hebrew and am making enormous progress. I also had an opportunity to use Russian on
Friday night! I was at a Rosh Hashana dinner and I was seated next to a bunch of Russians. One of them told a
joke in Russian which I surprisingly understood and I chuckled a bit. So one of the ladies started speaking to me in
Russian and asking me some basic questions such as, where do you live? What is your profession? Are your parents
Russian? and I was able to give some stumbling answers. Then one guy heard me speaking and asked if I was
Polish...

Off to do more hebrew lessons now.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 12 of 70
26 September 2009 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Hebrew:
I'm really focusing on Modern Hebrew and neglecting my other languages. This is because I desperately want to
reach basic fluency by Feb. How will I do this? Here are my ideas.

Anki: I use this program daily and although I hate using traditional flash cards, this method is so incredibly
effective. I haven't yet investigated this, but I know it's possible to enter sounds. What I want to do is get a
friend of mine to read the sentences or vocab words I'm studying and insert the sounds into the anki cards
instead of entering vowels. I want to do this for two reasons: 1. entering vowels takes up a lot of time and I'm
lazy :0 and 2. vowels are not used in Modern Hebrew outside of poetry and I want to start recognizing words
without punctuation.

Learn Hebrew Pod: I've been going through one lesson or so a day. I'm not going in order because most of the
grammatical concepts are familiar to me, I'm just looking for vocabulary practice for the most part. I also read
along with text while the actors are reading the dialogues.

I bought a new intermediate level textbook to help with grammar topics, reading and vocab.

I have a bunch of recordings of "Ha Haverim Shel Noar," an Israeli TV show. The recordings also have Hebrew
subtitles, so when I don't understand something I pause and look up unknown words on google translate. I have
made enormous progress this way.

I need to find more Israeli movies and TV shows. The problem with many of the Israeli films released in the US is
that it is not possible to remove English subtitles.

Russian:
I've been stuck on Pimsleur 2 lesson 8 for a few days. I'm really sick of pimsleur :(

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 13 of 70
27 September 2009 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
So I'm trying to find more Israeli TV shows online.   I'm trying to find shows that I can download, as opposed to
streaming because I don't have an Internet connection at my house but I've a laptop. I read an article that Reshet
TV is offering Israeli TV shows for free because they inserted advertisements inside the clips that cannot be
skipped over. Very clever, those Israelis...

I know a woman who gets an Israeli TV station on dish network. She pays 20 bucks a month or something for this.
I'd rather not go this route because I don't want a TV in my house. I may reconsider though if I can't figure out a
way to get the programs online.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5650 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 14 of 70
28 September 2009 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
You can probably download the streaming videos using something like FlashGot. Or, if you want, find a site (or several) with some videos you want to download and I would be more than happy to download them/upload them somewhere for you.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 15 of 70
29 September 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Crush, I'll try out Flashbot.

So if anyone wants to stream some Israeli TV shows, http://www.reshet.tv/video.aspx and http://www.nana10.co.il/ have free streaming available. Keshet tv also allows streaming, but every time I try to
open the site with safari it crashes...It's a shame because I wanted to find out who won on that Israeli big brother
show that aired last year. I forgot what it was called.

Yesterday was Yom Kippur so I didn't get a lot done, but I managed to look at a few paper flash cards.

Hebrew:

286 of 1000 flash cards memorized
I decided to listen again to the first 20 lessons of learn hebrew pod to see if there is any vocabulary or grammar
that I don't know and then begin to study in a more systematic fashion.
I'm using anki regularly.

Russian:

Plan with Russian is to try to do a Pimsleur a day. I usually have to repeat a Pimsleur 2-3 times because I'm
trying to perfect my pronunciation and I forget declensions all of the time.
I am going to repeat unit 9 of Russian 2 today and complete 10 as well.

Yiddish:

I had a Yiddish conversation yesterday with a group of hasidic kids! I really miss studying Yiddish, but I'll begin
again after I finish Russian Pimsleur.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 16 of 70
29 September 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
On second thought...

Just finished reviewing Pimsleur 2 lesson 9 again and I feel a little bit burned out. I don't want to commit to
completing one lesson per day. I would just quit Pimsleur for a month or so and start on the Princeton course, but
experience has shown that I will forget some of what I've learned if I don't regularly do Pimsleur lessons. Besides,
Pimsleur has been incredibly useful to me in the past, as it gives me the confidence to start speaking and gives me
a few stock answers to regularly asked questions while I'm really learning the mechanics of a language.

So I will force myself to complete one lesson every two days instead so I don't lose all of the time that I've put into
Pimsleur.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version