Joined 5711 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 49 of 70
08 November 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
Lemanensis: No, the Open University in Raanana, Israel
It was modeled after the UK version, but offers distance degrees to Hebrew speakers around the world. Pretty cool,
huh?

Ah, I thought it might be this one, but from what I've previously seen, most of the courses are for a very high level in the study of linguistics (my interpretation at least).

There's only one course from what I can see that is specifically Hebrew language as such (i.e. not only of interest to linguistics majors) and that's 91462 Hebrew as a second language.

The very brief course description says "During the course, individual workshops will be offered to students who need assistance. For that reason, active participation in the tutorial sessions is required." I understand that to mean that you have to be in Israel.

Do you have any more information about this? It's a pity the course description isn't in much greater detail. It doesn't tell you even how long this course lasts!
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5356 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 50 of 70
08 November 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi Lemanesis--Honestly, I'm not sure. I took a quick look at the course offerings, and I didn't see a degree offered
for linguistics. You could always send them an email to find out specifics.

I'm particularly interested in doing the MBA

This page describes info relevant to overseas students.

Honestly, taking courses is a long-term goal that I've set to keep me motivated. I still can't even read ynet without
looking words up in a dictionary.

2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5356 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 51 of 70
09 November 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I did some writing today; I wrote an email to a friend. I had to look up quite a few words to make sure I was
spelling them correctly. I wanted to paste it here, but the text got all jumbled for some reason.

I also reviewed the flash cards and am about to do some anki reviews.

It is amazing what something so simple as keeping Hebrew media playing in the background is doing for my
comprehension.

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5711 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 

Message 52 of 70
09 November 2009 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
Hi Lemanesis--Honestly, I'm not sure. I took a quick look at the course offerings, and I didn't see a degree offered
for linguistics. You could always send them an email to find out specifics.

I'm particularly interested in doing the MBA

Okaaaaaaay. I thought you were talking about doing courses in the Hebrew language as opposed to doing courses simply given in Hebrew. Now I get the picture.
I've been looking everywhere for courses in the Hebrew language at university level, but apart from South Africa and Hebrew College, I haven't found any. And South Africa OU students submit work in transscription (unless you PDF the file).

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5356 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 53 of 70
12 November 2009 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I realized that my greatest challenge in mastering Hebrew is my lack of technological fluency. Because Hebrew
is a rarer language than say French or Spanish, one needs to be more creative in order to get adequate exposure.
I have Hebrew media playing almost all day and it's really easy to get bored. So I got this idea from the AJATT
website to try to rip audio from movies and listen to them as audiobooks on my ipod when I'm out and about. So
I gotta figure out how to do that...

Also I need to figure out how to change my Macintosh OS to Hebrew
And how to enter sound into Anki
How to copy and paste into Anki.
And how to get access to American movies, Disney movies and what not dubbed into Hebrew. The Hebrew
bookstore near my house doesn't have this stuff.
How to write with my Hebrew keyboard without it scrambling all of my letters when I cut and paste.
How to use this Flashbot thing or something similar to extract sound from you tube or reshet videos.

Oy. I'm overwhelmed. Back to these paper flash card things that are dummy-proof. I will try to tackle this
technology stuff later.

Edited by nogoodnik on 12 November 2009 at 4:44pm

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5356 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 54 of 70
14 November 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
All is well in the world again: I have found more Israeli TV shows and dubbed disney movies. This will help me
enormously!

Two of my Israeli friends have strongly recommended against changing my OS into Hebrew. They say that all
high-tech companies use English operating systems and I will just get confused.

I'll manage to figure out how to stop making mistakes with the Hebrew keyboard at some point.

I've basically just been watching a lot of movies and going through my flash cards and doing maintenance with
the SRS without adding new sentences (I've been lazy.)   I've also been doing a fair amount of speaking. I'm
going to try to make more progress by adding more sentences this week and doing more writing. I'm going to
start writing here partially in Hebrew.

Edited by nogoodnik on 14 November 2009 at 5:14pm

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5711 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 

Message 55 of 70
15 November 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi
Unfortunately with the new CRAP Version of HTLAL, your log has dropped down to the very bottom of the popularity scale for Hebrew (HOW????), so I can't follow your log any more.

Oh well, I'll stick to the Unilang site - it's actually much better with more native speakers on it!!!

So long

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5356 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 56 of 70
19 November 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Lemanensis: Bye! My journal does seem to be sort of messed up. The very bottom of the popularity scale...hmmm
it's like high school again!

In all seriousness, I'm spending a lot of time watching Hebrew-dubbed disney movies. It's really fun, because I get
to revisit my childhood, except in Hebrew.

I'm getting slightly better with the SRS, because I'm forcing myself. I still need to commit to entering more
sentences per day.

Hebrew vocab cards are coming alone fine. No new interesting information to report, really.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version