United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 57 of 70
21 November 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
This is kind of an anti-milestone:

My reading stinks. I was just trying to read a wikipedia entry about Sanskrit in Hebrew and really struggled.
Then I clicked on the Spanish entry and could read and understand quite a lot without ever having studied
Spanish. This means that I really need to work on my Hebrew reading.   I was thinking of buying some Hebrew
magazines and children's books. I just need a bit of money for that.

On the other hand: My listening comprehension is really coming along. I must say that I'm very impressed with
myself in this aspect. I believe that my speaking will improve naturally and drastically in no time due to the
jump in listening comprehension.

Writing: eh.

I am considering moving to California, specifically San Diego, and I would feel like an idiot if I didn't learn
Spanish soon. I have made a decision to focus specifically on Hebrew until late February, and after that, will add
in an hour a day of Assimil Spanish. Leaving New York City will affect my access to native Hebrew speakers, but I
will be bringing one with me so I'm not too scared. Besides, L.A. is nearby and there are tons of Israelis there.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5501 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 58 of 70
22 November 2009 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:

My reading stinks. I was just trying to read a wikipedia entry about Sanskrit in Hebrew and really struggled.
Then I clicked on the Spanish entry and could read and understand quite a lot without ever having studied
Spanish.

I am considering moving to California, specifically San Diego, and I would feel like an idiot if I didn't learn
Spanish soon. I have made a decision to focus specifically on Hebrew until late February, and after that, will add
in an hour a day of Assimil Spanish. Leaving New York City will affect my access to native Hebrew speakers, but I
will be bringing one with me so I'm not too scared. Besides, L.A. is nearby and there are tons of Israelis there.

Well, San Diego would be productive for Spanish, I would think. But I would like to comment on your anti-milestone. I have lots of those mental blocks myself. Keep working on the Hebrew, the Spanish will come with time, for me it is encouraging when other people have the same problems I do. You may find your progress with Hebrew slow, but perserverance and dogged determination will pay off. I truly believe that these kinds of mental misfires are not unusual. I myself love San Diego as a city but the traffic there is horrible. I wish you the best....
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 59 of 70
22 November 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement, Hobberma! I'm used to congestion, living in New York and all. My dream is to
eventually live in a moshav (rural farming community) in Israel and get away from all the traffic, but I have to
save some money first.

I thought about why my reading is so terrible and it makes sense: I never read for pleasure in Hebrew.   I
consider it boring and hard so I avoid it.

I had this idea awhile back that I'd buy a Hebrew newspaper every Friday and read it over the weekend. That
didn't work because I rarely read the newspaper in English. I like to know what is going on, so I normally take a
quick look at nytimes.com every day, but I'm skimming headlines and not pleasure reading.

The truth is that I read a lot in English and enjoy it immensely. I enjoy non-fiction and works of classic
literature. I do also read fashion magazines, which I feel guilty about reading in English. So I'm going to give
myself permission to read fashion magazines in Hebrew and see what happens.

I think my listening comprehension has advanced so quickly because I've allowed myself pleasurable input. I
love film, so allowing myself to sit and watch movies for as long as I want as long as they are in Hebrew has been
a joy.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 60 of 70
22 November 2009 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to set some goals this week. I'll report back next Sunday with my progress.

1. Finish the remaining Modern Hebrew vocab cards.
2. Begin entering the cards I've forgotten into anki
3. Spend 20 minutes a day with the "First Hebrew Reader"
4. Watch as much media as possible in Hebrew for as long as possible.
5. Keep doing my anki reviews
6. Enter more sentences into anki

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5684 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 61 of 70
23 November 2009 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:

Spanish. This means that I really need to work on my Hebrew reading.   I was thinking of buying some Hebrew
magazines and children's books. I just need a bit of money for that.

On the other hand: My listening comprehension is really coming along. I must say that I'm very impressed with
myself in this aspect. I believe that my speaking will improve naturally and drastically in no time due to the
jump in listening comprehension.

Writing: eh.

There's a Hebrew radio station in San Diego (Kol San Diego) so there must be some Israelis in the area.

Reading: consider Yanshuf again... it might end up being a better investment...
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 62 of 70
26 November 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I'm probably not going to finish the vocab cards this week. I'll do it next week.

I just dropped my laptop and I then realized that I'm not backing up any of my data on this computer...yeah so
I'm going to run out after I finish typing this and buy a flash drive.

I tried to watch a dubbed Harry Potter movie, something about a half blood prince, but I can't concentrate on it.
I really do not understand why anyone likes Harry Potter...am I missing something?

O.K. new (to me) idea of studying written Hebrew: learn as many related words as possible so I can begin to
recognize roots. If I can begin to recognize roots, reading will be much faster for me. I'm pretty sure that this is
how Hebrew is traditionally taught, so I'm going to revisit this Ora Band textbook and she if she introduces
vocabulary this way.

I generally agree with AJATT that one should focus on materials written for native speakers, so I don't want to
waste time on all of the exercises, but learning a bit of grammar and as many related words as possible would
be fun.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 63 of 70
01 December 2009 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm still keeping a Hebrew-environment and watching tons of movies and speaking. I'm thinking of ending
this log and beginning a new one for TAC 2010. I would be overjoyed to have achieved advanced fluency in
Hebrew and intermediate levels in Russian and Spanish by the end of next year. I'd also like to work on my
Yiddish a bit.

My lifetime language goals include:
Advanced Fluency in Hebrew
Conversational Yiddish and ability to read books
Basic/Advanced Fluency in French, Spanish and Russian

I guess I need to figure out how to come up with concrete, measurable goals for next year...For Hebrew it could
be 8,000 AJATT sentences, reading a few interesting books, speaking in Hebrew only to my Israeli friends,
advanced knowledge of technical vocabulary...Spanish I could work through Assmil...Russian, the princeton
course? I have to think about it.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 64 of 70
04 December 2009 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
I've decided to close this log and open a new one for TAC 2010. I'm not sure what my second language will be: I'm
vacillating between Spanish and Russian. I am positive that if I maintain my Hebrew language environment and
intensity of study, I will בלי נדר easily reach advanced fluency by the end of 2010.

In the meantime I'm going to think about what my goals are for 2010 and how to implement them.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version