United States
Joined 5108 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 97 of 171
26 July 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Don't know if this has been put up yet, but here's a DLI Tausug course on torrent.

Edit: Is there a DLI Spanish or German? I found a torrent that includes MSA+Mandarin+French+Romanian if anyone's interested

Edited by johntm93 on 26 July 2010 at 7:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 98 of 171
26 July 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Is there a DLI Spanish or German? I found a torrent that includes
MSA+Mandarin+French+Romanian if anyone's interested

Yes, you'll find them along with the FSI courses here:
http://fsi-language-courses.org/

Edited by tractor on 26 July 2010 at 7:55pm

johntm93
United States
Joined 5108 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 99 of 171
26 July 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Is there a DLI Spanish or German? I found a torrent that includes
MSA+Mandarin+French+Romanian if anyone's interested

Yes, you'll find them along with the FSI courses here:
http://fsi-language-courses.org/
Under the Headstart part?
Also what is the difference between the FSI courses? I can't believe I never thought of asking that.

I already have German programmatic and Platiquemos

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5234 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 100 of 171
26 July 2010 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the Headstart. I don't know the difference between the courses because I've never used neither DLI nor FSI.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5108 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 101 of 171
26 July 2010 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Yes, the Headstart. I don't know the difference between the courses because I've never used neither DLI nor FSI.
Okay, thank you.

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6014 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 102 of 171
27 July 2010 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Breogan wrote:
You need HJSPLIT in order to merge them before using winzip.

http://hjsplit.softonic.com/

It worked thank you!

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 103 of 171
27 July 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
There's an old thread here on the differences between Spanish Basic / Platiquemos and Programmatic Spanish:

FSI "Programmatic Spanish" vs "Basic"

I wouldn't exactly classify the DLI-branded Headstart courses as (for want of a better term ) "pure" DLI versions. They are elementary courses no different to the FSI Headstart ones. There is a Spanish DLI course that used to be sold by the "Language Warehouse" (they sold the French one as well) but no-one seemed able to contact them to purchase it and the site now appears to gone for good.

The transcripts for both French and Spanish could saved off and although the site is gone they are still available via the Internet Archive's Wayback Engine here.

I put all the phrases from the Spanish course into my flashcard program, thus enabling me to come up with such gems as...

Yo hablaré acerca del concepto de operaciones de las fuerzas de desembarco, de la inteligencia y operaciones previas al asalto, del plan logístico, y del plan de comunicaciones.

... so I'm all prepared for the next briefing I'm required to give.

indiana83
Groupie
United States
ipracticecanto.wordp
Joined 5271 days ago

92 posts - 121 votes 
Studies: Cantonese, Italian

Message 104 of 171
06 August 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I don't deserve any credit for the hard work that went into making these, but I wanted to share the URLs where you can find the audio for 台山話 Taishanese/Toishanese/Hoisanese/Hoisanwa - Wikipedia Link

These are zip files of mp3s, of the 24 cassette tapes (4 tapes for each of 6 volumes):
NOTE: this site reduces the transfer rate after the first 2 files per day, so it will be faster to just download 2 files a day.

Toisan Cantonese Audio Part 1.zip (275 MB)
Toisan Cantonese Audio Part 2.zip (289 MB)
Toisan Cantonese Audio Part 3.zip (296 MB)
Toisan Cantonese Audio Part 4.zip (264 MB)

I didn't upload these but I just wanted to point out the URLs since it is no longer possible to buy the cassettes from the DLI.

This is a 1960s course from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute]Defe nse Language Institute

The textbook (7 volumes, 20 lessons each) is available in PDF at this link

Note that the DLI considers these to be supplementary material, but it's basically the only course available in the language/dialect. There are no exercise or grammar drills. Each lesson is just a dialogue and then a reading assignment. The audio goes through each of them twice. Each lesson is about 6 minutes of audio.

The first 4 lessons are useful for becoming accustomed to the romanization systema and for learning the pronunciation.

Like Cantonese, often there is not a character to officially represent a Toishanese syllable. Probably even more frequently than in Cantonese. So the lessons heavily use non-standard characters, or use characters in non-standard ways.

Also, beware that there are inconsistencies. My wife says that both of the speakers have different accents to her family (who are from 三八 and 白沙), but that they are still understandable. Sometimes the speakers do not pronounce a syllable the same way as the romanization, and do not pronounce the same way as each other.

Also, this is from the 1960s, and the primary student audience are military personnel, so they sometimes toss a lot of military vocabulary into the lessons.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 171 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version