Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 105 of 171
15 August 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
If anyone knows of any mirrors the DLI Serbo-Croation rapidshare links are dead, as is the torrent. I thought about downloading it now with a view to one day possibly learning it. Anyway, main reason I was writing was to ask Andy E what srs software he uses. Do you use Anki?
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6888 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 106 of 171
16 August 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
Previously, I used an SRS program that I wrote myself but it won't run on Windows 7 without some rework. I've been looking at Anki and like it - the only issue being that I have a "mobile" version of mine that I run on my HP PDA. Currently I'm currently stuck making a decision between the two, although I have in mind buying an iPhone or iPod touch (like my wife has). If I do that, Anki will be the way to go.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6014 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 107 of 171
16 August 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
I will try to re-upload the Serbo-Croatian this week using i-file.

RapidShare went through all sorts of changes and they might have thrown out some of the older files. It might not
happen until later in the week though...crazy busy for me...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 108 of 171
16 August 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

RapidShare went through all sorts of changes and they might have thrown out some of the older files. It might not

Liddytime, why do you do all this? I recognise your tag as one of the contributers to the FSI site. I don't really know how I could repay you guys, but if it helps at all you should know that (although I'm only downloading Serbo-Croat because it's on my "maybe list" for a new language next year (along with Italian, Greek, and Russian...haven't decided which yet because for now I really need to get my German and Portuguese to intermediate level, and my Spanish from intermediate to advanced), the work you guys have done is really helping me in Spanish, German and Portuguese. Does anyone else think that it's highly ironic that the best language courses in the world are (or rather were, I don't know much about what they use at DLI and FSI now) produced by the GOVERNMENT of the West's most pro-market country? ;-)

Andy E wrote:
Previously, I used an SRS program that I wrote myself but it won't run on Windows 7 without some rework. I've been looking at Anki and like it - the only issue being that I have a "mobile" version of mine that I run on my HP PDA. Currently I'm currently stuck making a decision between the two, although I have in mind buying an iPhone or iPod touch (like my wife has). If I do that, Anki will be the way to go.

Ah, that's interesting because I use Anki myselfon my laptop, but was looking for a portable version, to use on bus and in queues etc, but I don't think the Anki app works on a first generation ipod touch(what I have) , does it? The problem with FSI for public places is the need to respond aloud. Very impressed you wrote your own srs software!

I think the FSI Spanish Basic Course is best left alone (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but if you can tell me how to go about sharing it I would be willing to make an Anki deck based on the non-recorded excercises of the Spanish Programmatic Course.

Edited by Random review on 16 August 2010 at 10:26pm

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6018 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 109 of 171
16 August 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Does anyone else think that it's highly ironic that the best language courses in the world are (or rather were, I don't know much about what they use at DLI and FSI now) produced by the GOVERNMENT of the West's most pro-market country? ;-)

Our tax dollars paid for the work. So they are free, but we paid for them. They needed and still need good foreign language speakers. So they spent the time and the effort. These are couses, I can say "our tax dollars at work" and not get angry as I say it.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6014 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 110 of 171
17 August 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
liddytime wrote:

Liddytime, why do you do all this? I recognise your tag as one of the contributors to the FSI site.

Why do I do it??

Because I'm a total language dork who loves to travel to faraway places and not have to speak English to people.

The only programs that I personally have been able to achieve anything remotely close to fluency with are the FSI/DLI programs. I, like most, paid grossly inflated prices over the years to "Audio-Forum and friends" for these courses before it was clear the courses were public domain. When I found out I could get them for free, I wet myself!

So, I'm just sharing the wealth. I'm sharing what I have access to and hoping that those who have access to the unposted materials will do the same.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6014 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 111 of 171
17 August 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

RapidShare went through all sorts of changes and they might have thrown out some of the older files. It might
not

Here are the pdfs AND audio!!!!!!   I did try the RapidShare links and they do appear to still work (as far as I can
tell anyhow)

DLI Serbo Croatian pdf Files

Serbo Croatian audio1

Serbo Croatian Audio 2

Serbo Croatian audio 3

Serbo Croatian audio 4

Edited by liddytime on 17 August 2010 at 11:31pm

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5568 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 

Message 112 of 171
17 August 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:

Our tax dollars paid for the work. So they are free, but we paid for them. They needed and still need good foreign language speakers. So they spent the time and the effort. These are couses, I can say "our tax dollars at work" and not get angry as I say it.

Well yes, but my tax [pounds] pay for language courses as well, except that the UK government hasn't released them to the public, keeps the copyright on them, and from what I have read (on this forum) by Fat Tony they aren't anywhere near as good anyway. Yet it's our government that goes on about public services all the time. This isn't the place to discuss the relative merits of the different services provided by the US and UK governments, so I'll just confine myself to wondering aloud why it is that when your government DOES decide to do something it doesn't muck about, whereas for half a century now ours seems so often to produce c!*p? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am sorry we get to benefit from these courses without paying the tax dollars that funded them in the first place, but that is not because we pay less tax over here (far from it!), but rather because our government is much less efficient. I only wish we were producing worthwhile courses that all could benefit from too.

Edited by Random review on 17 August 2010 at 4:34pm

This discussion contains 171 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version