Diglot
China
Joined 6968 days ago

608 posts - 733 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Message 26 of 171
09 October 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I tried downloading the Indonesian DLI course but couldn't open the zip file anyone else had this trouble?
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6166 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 171
09 October 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Did you do this yet?

Talairan wrote:
You need HJSplit to join the files. It is a freeware programme available from www.cnet.com (link here)

Struan
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Korean

Message 28 of 171
10 October 2009 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the uploads.

The Korean audio doesn't seem to be from DLI. It comes from "Integrated Korean", and the content is exactly the same as the one found here http://languagelab.bh.indiana.edu/korean101.html

Do DLI audio materials for Korean exist?

yeandrix20
Costa Rica
Joined 5277 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 29 of 171
16 November 2009 at 5:24am | IP Logged 

Hello. Is there any chance of re-uploading the headstart courses, mainly the one for Tagalog?

Heinrich S.
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6723 days ago

63 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: French

Message 30 of 171
30 November 2009 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
DLI Japanese, anyone?

maaku
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 31 of 171
30 November 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Would be nice if there was such a thing. Let me head this one off at the pass and list all the DLI basic courses that we know about:

Albanian
Belarusan
Cantonese
Chinese Mandarin
Czech
Dari
Dutch
Egyptian Arabic
Filipino
French
Greek
Haitian Creole
Hungarian
Iraqi Arabic
Korean
Maranao
MSA
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Spanish
Syrian Arabic
Tausug
Vietnamese
2 persons have voted this message useful

emptysilo
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 32 of 171
01 December 2009 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
I have taken a look at the Indonesian and Vietnamese course material here. First, thanks to fat-tony for the material.

Indonesian:
The books look complete except for a couple of missing pages in volume 1 and they are the revised edition with the modern spelling too, a plus. The audio has some background static that increases and decreases in intensity depending on the voices. Also the audio is only for section 1. Introduction of New Materials, 2. Dialogue and '3.' (actually 7.) Vocabulary. What is missing for the audio is section 4. Pattern Drills and 5. Readings (not too important here). The books does mention in the Homework section, a dialogue tape and tapes of the exercises, but I have listed what is available from the download. You can probably do some of the drills yourself, although, maybe for the same reason we don't have tapes, the answers to some of the drills are not clear from the question and direction (such as questions about history and which department is bigger). Probably designed for the teacher to quiz students on acceptable answers. The Indonesian text does have stories which are pretty interesting starting in book 2, which I consider a definite plus.

The short explanations and the lack of audio exercises makes the course probably insufficient by itself, but it is good review for listening for someone with previous experience. I have worked through 15 lessons the last few days and find some new vocabulary and grammar points helpful along with the increase listening and comprehension practice. I am curious is anyone is using it for a beginning course and is feeling good about the results.

A final note here, the course has some grammar that I was taught was incorrect/"looked down upon" and an "excessive" use of personal pronouns at the beginning so far. Maybe someone could comment who is proficient in Indonesian on the material.

Vietnamese:
The audio has similar quality problems but, like the Indonesian tapes, I find that >95% is pretty clear from what I have heard. The books, like the Indonesian course are thick. However, I don't think this would be a good beginning course since there is no pronunciation practice available, audio drills, or any grammar explanation. Again, like the Indonesian course, the audio does not cover all the sections and also, the lesson 2 audio is missing.

In the lesson the "new vocabulary" section is covered which makes of >80% of the tape, meaning sometimes 50 minutes a lesson is just a reading of the line by line material covered in the "new vocabulary". Then the dialogue is covered. Again, like the Indonesian course, the drills (exercises) are not on the tape, but unlike the Indonesian course, the drills look like they could have been made into audio. Finally, a comprehension section is read. Unlike the Indonesian material, the vocabulary list in the back is not on the tape.

I don't know about the rest of the courses, but if anyone has used them I would like to hear about them even though I will never use them. Again, I don't think these materials I have looked at will be good beginning courses but I think they are excellent review and listening practice. BTW, the Indonesian course comes with about 28 hours of audio and the Vietnamese about 36 hours and A LOT of pages.

Hope this was helpful! Thanks again fat tony for the material, I really appreciate it.

Edited by emptysilo on 01 December 2009 at 8:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 171 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version