Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4362 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 41 of 45
23 August 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge on this forum, but Jehova's Witnesses have a
respectable amount of materials for many Native American languages freely available on
their website. I can't vouch for the quality of the translations or the voice actors, so
it may be a good idea to run everything by a native speaker before using it.

Here's the url.

It's no surprise that languages like Aymara, Guarani and Quechua with speakers in the
millions have the most materials, especially audio recordings, but be sure to check under
'Books and brochures', as there's often something there even for somewhat smaller
languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

księżycowy
United States
Joined 4286 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, Ancient Greek, French

Message 42 of 45
23 August 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Now that you mention it, I do remember the JW site. The main thing that has kept me from that site is the fact that it's just translations of their beliefs and such, it's not traditional stories from the tribes themselves. That's what I like reading when it comes to N.A. languages. Plus I have similar concerns about the translations and audio.

Good add none-the-less!

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5487 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 43 of 45
10 September 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
I have a huge interest in Tlingit. It is my favorite Native American language. I also like Tohono 'O'odham a lot. I am just beginning to start learning Tlingit, after accruing a wealth of resources on it. I may learn 'O'osham too, which is one of the simplest Native American languages I've come across grammar-wise. The only difficult thing is the irregular plurals for nouns and verbs.

księżycowy
United States
Joined 4286 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, Ancient Greek, French

Message 44 of 45
10 September 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Doing both, huh? Cool.
Out of curiosity, what do you have for Tlingit?
I know you said you have Beginning Tlingit on the other forum. Do you have any of the readers and/or the dictionary?
I have all of that (though I'd like to get a print copy of the dictionary from Sealaska).

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5487 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 45 of 45
10 September 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I have pretty much everything useful and usable from the University of Alaska website, plus a few other things, like a pretty good grammar, and a book on math in Tlingit.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version