Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6569 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 41 of 45
07 January 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
What is meant by "Literature for learners of Dutch"? Are these books supposed to be
learner-friendly? didactic? culturally instructive?
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 45
05 February 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
What is meant by "Literature for learners of Dutch"? Are these books supposed to be
learner-friendly? didactic? culturally instructive?

I assume that the quoted books are recommended in Dutch schools on the official reading lists for pupils. So at least they have a didactical value and are wellknown in the Netherlands.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 15 February 2011 at 1:49pm

Quinn
United States
Joined 6109 days ago

134 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish

Message 43 of 45
15 June 2011 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
As someone new to Dutch, I found this profile extremely helpful. I would like to thank those who have contributed to it for their excellent work and I hope it will be posted with the other profiles soon so that others may benefit.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4869 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 44 of 45
17 June 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
I think it's important to note that the main vernacular in the Netherlands Antilles is not Dutch, but rather Papiamento. Furthermore, although Suriname has a lot of Dutch-speakers as well Sranan Togo and Sarnami Bhojpuri are also commonly used. I'm not doubting the usefulness of Dutch in
this area, but passing it off as native-Dutch-speaking is a little dishonest.

Edited by Saim on 04 July 2011 at 2:56am

Saerlith
Bilingual Triglot
Belgium
Joined 4486 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 45 of 45
13 January 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I am new here, and I realise nothing has been posted in this topic for a while, but
since I still can't find a Dutch profile on the website, maybe there is room for some
remarks.

Firstly, on the various diphthongs in the Dutch language, "oe" is not one of them. The
sound "oe", or phonetically [u:], is by all accounts a monophthong.

Secondly, there are some notable difficulties in spelling and pronunciation (for the
latter especially for native speakers of languages which have voiced consonants in word
endings, like English). Spelling rules are mostly logical, like when to double
consonants or drop a vowel, or the d/t-rule in the past tense, but there isn't really a
logical rule for when to write "ei" or "ij" (which are the same sound) or "ou"/"au"
(which are the same sound). Since the difference in spelling of these sounds can lead
to an entirely different meaning of a word, this may cause some problems. "Rouw"
(=mourning) is not the same as "rauw" (=raw) and lijden (=to suffer) is not the same as
"leiden" (to lead/to guide).
In Dutch, one doesn't voice consonants at the end of a word. As such, the Dutch "bed"
(meaning exactly the same as it does in English), is pronounced "beT". The hard "g"
doesn't exist everywhere. All of Flanders and parts of The Netherlands have a "soft g",
which is not, as someone wrote, exactly the same as the "ch" in "loch", but rather its
voiced equivalent. The "r" is not necessarily rolled. Many native Dutch speakers
pronounce the "r" like the French do and in parts of The Netherlands, there are
instances where the "r" is even pronounced like the English one (but not always, this
is for example never the case before a vowel).

Furthermore, on culture (I will only speak for Belgium here), we have famous beer (when
you are in Belgium, you have to taste a bunch of beers, otherwise you might just
as well stay home), chocolate, fries and waffles. Next to that we've had several great
Flemish movies, like "Rundskop", "Zot van A." and "Loft". Antwerp is worth mentioning
for its role in the diamond industry.

Otherwise, it looks really nice! I hope some of this was still somewhat useful.

Edited by Saerlith on 13 January 2012 at 9:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version